Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I know I'm a pretty infrequent poster, but I'm trying to learn more so I can have something useful to say. Weird question, though....

I live in CO and it's been a bit chilly of late (<25 over the last week except today) and my tire pressure warning light turned on. No big deal, I know - I remember Boyle's Law and all of that. The thing is that I checked all of my pressures and there was one that was low (driver corner - which I inflated) and the two back ones were actually 3.5 lbs over inflated. So now I'm sitting with the fronts at 35-36 and the rears at 36-37. This should be no problem, as the pressure inside tires fluctuates far more than 1-2 psi just by driving and heating/cooling, but the damn light won't turn off (it's been 3 days). Any ideas?

Thanks all

·
on line
2,459 Posts
You said it's been 3 days but have you driven it? Once you inflate the tires it typically takes a mile or two for the light to go off.

As mc said you can get your dealership to reset it if need be.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I don't live in an area that is routinely cold in the winter. However, I do travel and stay at elevation {and cold temps} for a couple days at a time.

I've had the same problem occur at seemingly random times. Even returning to "flat-land" {and warmer climes} it still may take a couple days for the light to go off. Other times it goes off as I'm coming down the mountain.

I can't attribute it to either cold or elevation necessarily, they simply are hyper-sensitive in my experience.

I gouged a small chunk from the OEM "Rugged" Trail BFGs and had a slow leak for a week or so. Every couple days I'd fill the tire back to ~35psi. Eventually the tire ran just below 28psi and the light came on. Once I replaced the OEM set with new Nittos the light was still on for a few miles, but did eventually go off. In this case the sensors worked as they should, except perhaps the reset.

IME I find the sensors to be more of an irritant than of any real value. I'm not a mechanic but I keep an eye on how the tires are wearing, their pressure, engine fluid levels etc.

I recall reading about a "key sequence" that you initiate to reset the sensors but I don't recall what how it works. Something like : turn key to light all dash indications, turn off for 2 minutes, and repeat 3 times, then start the car ?

·
on line
36 Posts
Mine came on last week, and I checked all four corners and found them to be around 32 to 34 psi. I lowered the spare, and checked it. Sure enough, it was down to about 24. That's kinda scary that it went down that much. It has never touched the road. I inflated it back to about 37, and put it back under the vehicle. The low pressure light on the dash stayed on for about 3 days before it finally went off. I surely put at least 30 or so miles on during that time (I have a VERY short commute). I'm going to ask the dealership to take a look at in about 2 weeks when i go in for my next oil change and tire rotation. I'd hate to get in a situation where I need the spare only to find that it is flat - or at least too low for driving at normal speeds.

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help - I'm taking it into the dealership to have them reset it. I'll ask the tech and let you all know if I find out anything really valuable/interesting.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
CMHX said:
I lowered the spare, and checked it. Sure enough, it was down to about 24. That's kinda scary that it went down that much.
Are you positive about what the spare had been set at? Did you use the same guage? Was it the same temperature outside? Had the tire been in the sun?

I've been amazed at the margin of error when some of those factors are taken into account. A tire might read 34 on a really hot day and 29 on a very cold day--and that's with the same guage. 24 is low, but it's not crazy.

Your tire may have a slow leak, and maybe not. And if the dealer set the pressure...well, all bets are off, lol.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: And I'm amazed, to hear that the spare has any effect on the TPMS sys--

--Maybe they started puting sensors in the spares, cause they sure didn't put em in the '06 off-roads !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
20 Posts
I put snowies on steel rims for the winter, and didn't bother with the sensors. Occasionally, the warning light will come on for a little while, when I'm driving in traffic, and then go off as traffic patterns change. I'm wondering if my system is picking up another car, and then it goes off when one of us turns off. Anybody else?

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah - the dealer said that my tires were all at 31 (not possible, because I checked with two different gauges which gave the readings I posted above - but that's cool).

I guess the answer is keep em a bit over inflated when I'm not wheeling. Which is fine - that should save me some gas anyway.

·
on line
259 Posts
JIMBO said:
:clown: And I'm amazed, to hear that the spare has any effect on the TPMS sys--

--Maybe they started puting sensors in the spares, cause they sure didn't put em in the '06 off-roads !!!

yeah, I don't think your spare has any bearing on your TPM system. I know mine (05, S) does not.

What I have done is had my tires inflated with nitrogen, it doesnt change preasure with temp, so I get no tire pressure alarms, even in -15 weather, and my tires wear better and more evenly, because preasure fluxuation is not a problem. having your tires always inflated properly alos increases gas mileage.

·
on line
169 Posts
Mine has come on twice, both during a CO cold snap. The first time I inflated, and it took about 10 minutes for the light to turn off. The second was last week. I checked the tires and found all tires hovering around 38 psi. The light stayed on for almost the whole drive from Boulder to Avon. (elevation gain of about 6000 ft heading up to the tunnel, and a bit back down) and then most of the drive back. As we were on the last descent down into Golden (back around 5000 ft) the light flashed for a few minutes, then went off and has stayed off. baffling.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: As I've said several times, this TPMS is-WORTHLESS, it's like crying wolf, sometimes it'works MOST times it DON"T--

--While I had my spare tire on, during my last rotation, the light STAYED on, probasbly 6 months, then the spare was rotated out and the light went off-yea---

--On my trip to Eugene, Oregon, last November, to pick up my trailer, I inflated all 4 tires to 40 psi, for freeway economy and put some center tread wear on--

--I haven't seen the stupid light YET-POS--

·
on line
1,123 Posts
JIMBO said:
--While I had my spare tire on, during my last rotation, the light STAYED on, probasbly 6 months, then the spare was rotated out and the light went off-yea---
I'm having the opposite experience. I just did a 5 wheel rotation so my spare (on the back bumper) now has TPMS but my front drivers side doesn't and my light has stayed off.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Mine goes on and off with the phases of the moon. Aired down to 15 on the trail--the light stays off. All tires at 35--the light comes on. No rhyme or reason.

Careful, frequent visual and guage assissted inspection. That's the only real way to monitor tire pressure. It boggles the mind to see how so many people drive around with their tires practically flat.

·
on line
47 Posts
d-rap said:
Mine goes on and off with the phases of the moon. Aired down to 15 on the trail--the light stays off. All tires at 35--the light comes on. No rhyme or reason.

Careful, frequent visual and guage assissted inspection. That's the only real way to monitor tire pressure. It boggles the mind to see how so many people drive around with their tires practically flat.
IIRC the system doesn't look for actual presures but rather some margin of difference between all 4. Hece if 3 are at 35 and one drops down to 25 you'd get get the light. But let's say for example as in the situation above all are aired down to 15psi, no light. Worthless if you ask me.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It check for any pressure lower than ~30psi or if any tires are more than ~5psi different.

Mine works very well. When I air down I get a long beep per tire (so 4 beeps). When i air back up the light goes off within a few miles and any time the light has gone off one or more tires are low.

So, for me, I'll say that the monitor system works as it should and I have never had a problem with it.

·
on line
63 Posts
I am also in Denver and was sick and tired of my TPMS light going on then spending 30 minutes trying to fix it... So, I took the X down to Discount Tire, spent some cash, and had them fill all of my tires up with Nitrogen. Problem Solved. Only difference is that it seems to ride a little rough now, but I doubt the average butt wouldn't notice.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts