Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we went to look at our new x, the left rear was low and the light in the dash was on. the salesman went back to service and aired it up and the light went off.
yesterday it came on again, so i checked the right rear 1st. it was about 30psi.
i checked all the others and they are all about 37psi. the max is 35psi.
whats the deal. what should i run the tires at? 37 cant be good.
i figured 30-33 would be fine.
they are stock goodyear something trails.

(on my jeep i run 33's with 21psi on the road) (but its a tad lighter)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The sensors need to have at least 28 PSI or they go off. they also go off if any tires are +/- 3-5psi from any other. So if one tires has 30 PSI and the others have 37 PSI the pressure monitor will go off.

The tires would be BFG Rugged Trail, Long Trail or General Grabber, depending on the model you have.

When I was running my Rugged Trail I ran them at 35psi and found that they wore down the middle quickly. I probably should have been running closer to 32psi.

A simple way to tell, load up the X with the normal weight it would see (get all the kids and the wife in it). Take it to an empty parking lot with a dark blacktop surface. Fill all 4 tires to the exact same pressure Start at 35psi. Take a light colored stick of chalk (sidewalk chalk works best), and rub it over the entire surface of the tire tread. Pull forward a few rotations and then look at the marks the tires left. If there is a lot of chalk in the middle and not at the sides, the tires are over inflated. If ther is a lot of chalk on the sides and not in the middle the tires are under inflated. If the marks are even across they are inflated properly. This works pretty well and works on new or old tires.

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah. im familiar with the chalk method. (thats how i figured out what psi to run on the jeep)

you really cleared it up with the +/- 3psi from tire to tire.
i just thought that the sencor went of if it got below 35 (which i thougt was crazy!) lol.
tonight ill drop the psi to about 33/32 and do the chalk test.
thanks for the info!!

oh... and they are the long trails. :wink:

·
on line
101 Posts
I think the tire pressure was ~40 psi on all 4 tires when I got my X. It seems they just leave the pressure to whatever they use to seal the bead when they install them.

Here's a good tire pressure light story for ya'll.

I recently got rid of my stock tires and put on after-market tires/rims. The first time I turned the car on, no light. "Yes, I guess when the computer sees no sensors it shut's itself off." Somebody in this forum said that a while back.

Well, it's had been off for a few weeks now, but over the weekend it comes on for no reason. It stayed on for about a day then turned off again. I don't what it was reading; just shows how "accurate" they are.

:cyclopsani:

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Well, it's had been off for a few weeks now, but over the weekend it comes on for no reason. It stayed on for about a day then turned off again. I don't what it was reading; just shows how "accurate" they are.
Gotta love technology!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Another government mandated BS item. My sensor lights up whenever I drive towards Rocky Mountain National Park...Just at one point along the drive. At least it is easy to ignore :bounce:

·
on line
279 Posts
Had my TPMS go off on Saturday. I had just made a wrong turn, stopped, put it in reverse and bam, the warning beep and light. I pulled over, got out and looked at the tires. No flat or deflating tires. I check pressure when I get home and all show about 32.5 hot. Next day, all read just under 32 cold. Still had the light on. Pulled out the compressor and it showed all tires about 30 PSI. Aired up to 35 and drove about 2 blocks and the light went off.

·
on line
280 Posts
It could be interference from another source. To test drive by the same location and if the light comes on, you know there is some external source interfering with the system.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
One thing I have recently noticed. The sensors beep once for each tire that is low. So if you hear just one long beep, it's one tire, if you hear two long beeps it's two tires, and so on.

·
on line
551 Posts
Ours went off during the recent cold spell. Checked TP, they were at about 32 psi, aired them up to 35 psi. Drove around, TPMS never went off. Had it to the dealer for a few items and he said we had to run them at about 37 psi in the winter due to altitude for the TPMS to stay off. No beep on the 06 just an aggravating light. Tape works good from what I hear.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
My brother bypassed this by copying the resistance of the bulb in the dash and took the bulb out. But what a PITA! The system went crazy just out of warranty so he did this to sell the car. Worked but above my doing. I hate taking dashes out! MC

·
on line
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
usmc xterra said:
My brother bypassed this by copying the resistance of the bulb in the dash and took the bulb out. But what a PITA! The system went crazy just out of warranty so he did this to sell the car. Worked but above my doing. I hate taking dashes out! MC

Where is one of your famous wright-ups?

Anyhow, my light is on all the time. No beep though. I just check the pressure once a week (like I do in all my cars).
I have only heard it beep only once.

Stupid teknologey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts