Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. So I've done a little research but thought I'd ask what kind of tire pressures are other people using on and off road with their Xs. I have 285/75 16 BFG ATs on my stock wheels and currently keep them at 35 psi on the road. When I go off road it's normally on the beach, but sometimes when I have enough time I make the 4 hour drive out to the closest OHV trails. When I'm on the beach I just keep the pressure at 35 and haven't had any problems, even in the really soft stuff. On the trail I go down to 20 psi. I feel like I could and should go lower than that but I really don't want to knock a tire off the bead. I know the rims are 7" and the tires are supposed to be used on a 7.5" rim, and people like to say that is like having a bead lock but I still have my concerns even if its unwarranted. What has everyone else experienced or tested? Is there going to be any benefit to dropping the pressure any lower? Thanks for all the input in advace.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I ran those exact tires for almost 4 years. They had a "D" load rating. Offroad, I typically would go down to 18-20psi. In the sand, I went to 12-15psi. The lower psi for the sand is better because your tread has a wider footprint when the tire is slightly deflated, and you have more traction.

If you are used to offroading at 20psi, try the beach at 15psi. It should feel really smooth.

I never popped a bead when I had the 285s (although I never went below 12psi). I did pop a bead when I had the 265s, but I was aired waaaaay down, and I was sliding sideways (doing donuts on the beach).

NOTE: If you have "E" rated tires, you can go even lower with the psi.

·
on line
2,243 Posts
Like Ted said

Knocking a bead off is more then low pressure, you need a side load on it. In other 4WDs I would run as low as 15 and always kept the bead even at stupid side loads. But completely different tire sizes as well. 20 should be a decent all around offroad pressure. In the sand I have tried 15 and 20, 15 was way better (stock tires)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I figured it would take quite the side load to pop the bead, but you never know what's going to happen when you hit the trail. If you drop the pressure to 15 for the beach, how far are you driving to pressure back up? That seems like it might be bad if you had very far to go. Oh yeah, I have D rated tires. Ted, is there much difference between 18 and 20 on rock? Its good to hear those tires lasted you four years, do you remember how many miles you got out of them? I'm just reaching the first 5,000 and can't tell that there is any tread loss yet, not that I thought I would, except for the chunks that the rocks decided to keep on the trail. Early 2010, what size tire are you running at 15 and where. Just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
4,196 Posts
I have 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs load E & run 40psi (cold) onroad & usually run 17 - 18 psi offroad here in Colorado. We don't have much sand here so I can't comment on that. The members who already posted have covered most of the other variables.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I typically air down to 15-16 when offroading, the narrow rim actually helps keep the tire on the bead because it pinches it (or so I read).

As to your other question, I have driven upwards of 20 miles on pavement before getting somewhere to air up. I don't think it is bad for the truck as long as you are in 2WD. You just have to drive slow, its like driving a boat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have E load BFG KO TA's 265/75/16 on Procomp 7089's and I'm a SoCal highway driver, so I put mine up to around 45-47 psi. Lower than that, and especially in the 35-40 range it just feels sluggish and slow, louder also. I don't off-road, so that makes a big difference in my choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input! I'm definitely going to try lower pressure next time I'm on the trail. I think I might give 17 a go. NoahVT, do you think there is any, or much, difference between running 15 and 17? Do the tires stick and grab better? I only ask because I don't get out enough to effectively experiment.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I figured it would take quite the side load to pop the bead, but you never know what's going to happen when you hit the trail. If you drop the pressure to 15 for the beach, how far are you driving to pressure back up? That seems like it might be bad if you had very far to go. Oh yeah, I have D rated tires. Ted, is there much difference between 18 and 20 on rock? Its good to hear those tires lasted you four years, do you remember how many miles you got out of them? I'm just reaching the first 5,000 and can't tell that there is any tread loss yet, not that I thought I would, except for the chunks that the rocks decided to keep on the trail. Early 2010, what size tire are you running at 15 and where. Just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device
Pressure depends on the sidewall thickness, so there's no one size fits all. A 3 ply sidewall like on the BFG's will flex less than a 2 ply and can be aired down more. 4 Wheeler had a good article about airing down IIRC.

Invest in one of these:

$60 and it will inflate 33's from 20 psi to 40 psi in about 3 minutes each tire. Many guys in the local club have these, as do I.

MasterFlow Tsunami MF-1050 12 Volt Portable Hi Volume Air Compressor

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9357343/?quantity=1

·
Registered
132 Posts
nice find on the compressor. Didnt really think id buy one today but on the pepboys site, there was a promo code 20AUGUST. took the price from $59.99 to $47.99...-$12...Thanks for the link!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts