Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Quick question. When I went to go to work this morning. It was minus 5. I mean 5 below zero is pretty cold. Anyway, my tire pressure warning light came on. Coyuld it be because of the cold temperature. All my tires look fine.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I'm assuming you've got stock tires.

If your tires were pressurized to aprox 35psi in warm weather, then yeah, it could be the cold weather. Just check the pressure and make sure they're around 35psi.

It may take a while for the sensors to adjust.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, they're not stock. I'm running 295/75/16.. I'll check the pressure when I get home.

·
on line
74 Posts
Here in Abitibi (north of province of Québec) we have a lot of difference in temperature (-40 to 70). It cause a lot of difference in tires pressure. I inflated my tires with nitrogen and that solved the problem. Now you have to found a place to inflate yours.

Good luck.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Unless your tires are filled with nothing but N2, then temperature really affects the tire pressure. This is why they say to check your tire pressure "cold" meaning not driven on for more than a mile. Even that mile can warm up the tires enough to not give you an accurate pressure reading.

The folks running CO2 in their tires have the greatest pressure fluctuation. People running normal air (from a compressor) will have moderate pressure change. People running nitrogen will have the least fluctuation. It's all about the property of air and heat.

·
on line
120 Posts
CO2 in the tires will fluctuate for sure. But regular air is mostly N2 with the bulk remainder being O2. You get less rubber oxidation and less bleed through with N2 (and more cost) but not much else.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
exact same thing happened to me this morning, i just assumed the cold weather compressed the air in the tires and caused the pressure sensor to trip, i'm going to check it later this afternoon, it should be off by then

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mtdewmike said:
Xterror said:
No, they're not stock. I'm running 295/75/16.. I'll check the pressure when I get home.
What do you have for a lift?
I have a 3" Calmini. It's the 2WD lift on my 4WD. This spring I'm getting a 3" BL too. The rub a little in sharp turns but not enough to bother me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts