Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
441 - 448 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Link to tires

1. Brand: Yokohama
2. Type: Geolandar G0003 M/T
3. Size: 285/70r17 (~33") Listed specs on Discount tire website say they are 32.9inches
4. Photo: See below
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Local Discount Tire
6. Price per tire?: $242
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Yes
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): 2in Lift (front spacer & rear shackle), trimming for extra melty melt mod, redrilled front bumper cover to remount fender liner 1in forward (BARELY rubbed before moving it). Modifications are a combination of the tire size and the 0 offset wheel.
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 10 so far. But hard to compare previous 285 on 16x7in wheel to these 285 on 17x8.5 wheel. Truck feels more stable, tires look aggressive, so far VERY QUIET. Its been 6years, but I don't remember my KM2s being this quiet or rolling this smooth when new.

Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire Tread

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Plant

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

This is after the trimming/melting.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

This is before remounting the fender liner further forward in the bumper cover. Rubs, but barely.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

·
Registered
343 Posts
Link to tires

1. Brand: Yokohama
2. Type: Geolandar G0003 M/T
3. Size: 285/70r17 (~33") Listed specs on Discount tire website say they are 32.9inches
4. Photo: See below
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Local Discount Tire
6. Price per tire?: $242
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Yes
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): 2in Lift (front spacer & rear shackle), trimming for extra melty melt mod, redrilled front bumper cover to remount fender liner 1in forward (BARELY rubbed before moving it). Modifications are a combination of the tire size and the 0 offset wheel.
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 10 so far. But hard to compare previous 285 on 16x7in wheel to these 285 on 17x8.5 wheel. Truck feels more stable, tires look aggressive, so far VERY QUIET. Its been 6years, but I don't remember my KM2s being this quiet or rolling this smooth when new.

View attachment 140438
View attachment 140439
View attachment 140442
This is after the trimming/melting.
View attachment 140440
This is before remounting the fender liner further forward in the bumper cover. Rubs, but barely.
View attachment 140441

Nice setup! I just ordered the DX4 Terrain wheel in 17" and the Geolandars in 295/70R17 from discount tire! I wanted them in 285/75R16 but absolutely no one has them in stock..... So I said screw it and upped the size to get the tire I wanted lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
After this spring, I am going to write up a detailed review on the AT3W after I have spent a lot of time in rain. I am a media storm chaser. I did spend a lot of time in deep snow and ice this last winter and they were UNBELIEVABLE. I was able to drive in snow so deep that I was plowing it with the front of the Xterra. The only thing that was able to stop me was when I would get into snow so deep that it would pack under the truck and eventually lift the tires up where I was high centered on snow. Absolutely bonkers how good they were.

Be aware, even the P rated AT3W has a very strong and stiff sidewall. It is rated 116 which is a higher load than many other LT tires. They do ride stiffer than any P tire I've had on the Xterra by a noticeable margin, but nothing like the Cooper AT3 LT I had on it before this set of Falkens. I will include sources when I write my full review, but I have found information (and my experience backs up) that using a Load E tire on a truck as light as the Xterra will give you extra side wall puncture resistance when on the trail, but you are giving up on road traction because the contact patch has no "squish". The Xterra is not heavy enough. It is like trying to play basketball while staying on your tip toes. The contact patch is a narrow strip if the tire sidewall is too stiff for the truck. Softer sidewall OR heavier truck allows the tire to deform at the contact patch making it bigger. I will include emails from tire engineers to back this up. It is exactly what I found with my Cooper AT3 load E tires. They were absolute crap in deep snow, ice, and rain. They were so bad in snow that I was not able to get into places to shoot blizzard video that I have gotten into for the last 10 years with Firestone Destination ATs on the Xterra. I kept those Coopers on for two seasons and they hosed me in snow every single time. But guys with F350s had great luck with them. Again, I'll provide more details and facts when I'm done storm chasing this spring, but I wanted to share with you since you might be buying soon. I have NOT had these on trail yet. I can tell you the Cooper AT3 was really good on the Alpine Loop. I hope this makes sense, its 2;20am and I'm exhausted and too tired to keep rewriting this to better explain myself! LOL!!! Off to bed for me....
Thanks for this explanation, this is exactly what I have experienced with my Xterra on E rated General Grabbers. Downright scary on snow and ice. And I can just feel that the truck is too light for the tires, I’m getting tossed around like a tin can. There’s no “glued to the road” feeling, it’s more like chattering / bouncing on top of the road. Unnerving at highway speed in any condition.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Offroad AT
10 Posts
Thanks for this explanation, this is exactly what I have experienced with my Xterra on E rated General Grabbers. Downright scary on snow and ice. And I can just feel that the truck is too light for the tires, I’m getting tossed around like a tin can. There’s no “glued to the road” feeling, it’s more like chattering / bouncing on top of the road. Unnerving at highway speed in any condition.
What tires have you had a good experience with? While I normally hit Moab's moderate trails twice a year I definitely do more ice & snow driving here in CO. I've definitely been known to drive through blizzards overnight so I can post up in the ski area parking lots before the roads close thanks to overzealous drivers. Unfortunately the D load range offerings in 285/75/16 are very limited. The Nitto Terra Grapplers seem like the only availble tire that fits the bill.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
What tires have you had a good experience with? While I normally hit Moab's moderate trails twice a year I definitely do more ice & snow driving here in CO. I've definitely been known to drive through blizzards overnight so I can post up in the ski area parking lots before the roads close thanks to overzealous drivers. Unfortunately the D load range offerings in 285/75/16 are very limited. The Nitto Terra Grapplers seem like the only availble tire that fits the bill.
I've had 4 sets of BFG KO2's across 3 different 4x4's and they are everything I've needed them to be. I'm also in CO, regularly take it on moderate trails, hunting and city snow wheeling and have never been let down. They have great grip in all conditions, although some people complain about them not being so great in the rain, but I've never slid or had any issues. Seem to wear very evenly as well.

I previously really loved Duratracs but I believe they've been discontinued.

441 - 448 of 448 Posts