Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
421 - 440 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your question has been answered hundreds if not thousands of times on TheNewX.org and is not tire brand specific.

Generally speaking the largest tire you can fit with no modifications whatsoever will be LT265/75R16. If you are willing to do the "melt mod" you can fit LT285/75R16.* Anything larger requires a suspension lift and/or body lift and/or sheet metal work and/or wheel spacers, etc.

_____
* For discussions of the "melt mod" try the following Google search: Site:thenewx.org melt mod
thank you very much for your help, sorry not so tech savvy as some of you on here. Couldn't find the answer ..

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,516 Posts
Reactions: KaBoom

·
Registered
82 Posts
1. Brand: Goodyear
2. Type: Durotrac Mud&Snow
3. Size: 285/75-16 (33")
4. Photo:
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Local dealer
6. Price per tire?: $280, mounted & balanced
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: No
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable):
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned:[/QUOTE] Just put these on, but they are completely at home in deep mud, sand and highways. No noise, at 75 mph. They raised the truck 1.5" with no other change. Melt mod was all it took. I'll give them a 9.5.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Pathfinder Sport S AT

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/pathfinder-sport-s-at/p/33396

Stay Away.

These came new when I bought my X. They were good the first winter. Not great but considering how dirt cheap they were.

Now the tires are a little worn, about 20K miles they are slick as snot when the pavement gets a little wet.

Previous owner/dealer put cheapo tires on, get what you pay for.

·
Registered
390 Posts
1. Brand: FALKEN
2. Type: WILDPEAK AT3W
3. Size: 265 75 16
4. Photo:
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: AMERICAS TIRE
6. Price per tire?: ABOUT $590 INSTALLED
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: LEVEL 8 MK6 RIMS REQUIRED A MELT MOD FOR TIRES TO FIT
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: SO FAR 10. Good value for the cost (Nearly 1K miles on them, holiday travels) yesterday was a good wet weather test. Driving in a heavy rain with wind gusts up to 50mph. The danger was from the wind gusts, not from tire traction and no sign or indication of hydroplaning

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. Brand: FALKEN
2. Type: WILDPEAK AT3W
3. Size: 265 75 16
4. Photo:
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: AMERICAS TIRE
6. Price per tire?: ABOUT $590 INSTALLED
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: LEVEL 8 MK6 RIMS REQUIRED A MELT MOD FOR TIRES TO FIT
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: SO FAR 10. Good value for the cost (Nearly 1K miles on them, holiday travels) yesterday was a good wet weather test. Driving in a heavy rain with wind gusts up to 50mph. The danger was from the wind gusts, not from tire traction and no sign or indication of hydroplaning
I'm looking to purchase the Falken's as well. Did you buy the P or LT rated version? I'm going back and forth and was wondering what your experience has been on/off road with whatever version you purchased.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm looking to purchase the Falken's as well. Did you buy the P or LT rated version? I'm going back and forth and was wondering what your experience has been on/off road with whatever version you purchased.
P vs LT is the difference in Load/Ply rating
SL/4 ply vs E/10 ply
tire weight and other differances too

I went with the P tire.
I never tow, do not carry heavy loads and do not need to air down so going with the LT tire would be a waste.

I cant speak for off-road as I don't really wheel but on-road in wet/slushy/snowy conditions it is an excellent tire.

In gravely/muddy roads it works well too. sheds gravel well, not to much mud buildup and I don't slide around getting up my driveway like I do in my tacoma or when my X had the old crappy tires. (I can crawl up my driveway, I don't need to build up speed like before)

·
Registered
12 Posts
P vs LT is the difference in Load/Ply rating
SL/4 ply vs E/10 ply
tire weight and other differances too

I went with the P tire.
I never tow, do not carry heavy loads and do not need to air down so going with the LT tire would be a waste.

I cant speak for off-road as I don't really wheel but on-road in wet/slushy/snowy conditions it is an excellent tire.

In gravely/muddy roads it works well too. sheds gravel well, not to much mud buildup and I don't slide around getting up my driveway like I do in my tacoma or when my X had the old crappy tires. (I can crawl up my driveway, I don't need to build up speed like before)
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I'm looking to replace my tires and rims. Currently I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3s in 285/75r16. I've installed a suspension lift including dual AAL, shackles, and Bilsteins (all from PRG) on the rear and the RadFlow 2.0 coilovers on the front (also from PRG). I've also done the melt mod.

My AT3s are coming to the end of their life and I want to replaced them with the newer Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs because I've enjoyed the AT3s but love the aggressive look of the XLTs.

When I get new tires I'd like to upgrade to 17 inch rims, so I'm looking at these three tire sizes:
285/75r17
295/70r17
305/70r17

Currently I have a lot of clearance around the tires due to the lift, so I'm pretty sure either one of these options will fit with no rubbing and as far as I can tell the differences are rather minuscule.

Is there any reason to choose one over the other? Does anyone have any recommendations on one size over the other? And if so, why?

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. Brand: Goodyear
2. Type:Duratrac
3. Size:285/75/16 LT
4. Photo:Yes
5. Where did you purchase this tire?:Canadian Tire
6. Price per tire?:$228.74 Canadian
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N:No mods prior to install.
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): After install, 1.5" wheel spacers/ 2" strut spacers
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 10/10 I used to be a die hard BF A/T guy but they just got way to expensive.

Question for the group - Does anyone run 18" rims? I can't seem to find anyone in threads that do. I'm wondering how big a rim/tire combo I can get. I was thinking of going with 305/60/R18 Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just wanted to add some data for anyone else looking at the Wildpeak AT3W....A big selling point they push on this tire is the silica rubber compound which gives the tire better performance in rain and snow/ice as well as making the rubber wear longer. However, According to Falkens website the LT versions do NOT get the silica rubber compound. Only the P tires do. The Firestone Destination AT has silica rubber, and I can attest that they were incredible in rain, snow/ice and wore great.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeaka/t3w-tire

"An optimized tread design combined with a silica tread compound enable the A/T3W to excel in three areas: wear, winter, and wet performance.
SILICA TREAD COMPOUND
delivers superior wear life and wet performance (non‐LT sizes)."

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Am in the midst of looking for some new tires, wanted to go a lil bigger

For clarification that I am/am not understanding

OEM 265/70R16 is a 31" Tire?
285/70-16 = 32" - No melt mod needed?
285/75-16 = 33" Melt mod needed...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Am in the midst of looking for some new tires, wanted to go a lil bigger

For clarification that I am/am not understanding

OEM 265/70R16 is a 31" Tire?
285/70-16 = 32" - No melt mod needed?
285/75-16 = 33" Melt mod needed...
Plug your metric tire sizes into a tire size calculator if you want to see the measurements in inches. This link is invaluable for comparing tire sizes and seeing the difference:

Sizes will vary by manufacturer and by tire, they're not always literally the size they claim to be. But generally speaking:

265/70R16 (OEM on non Pro4X and Off Road) is 30.6"
265/75R16 (OEM on Pro4X and Off Road) is 31.6"
285/70R16 is extremely rare, you won't really find that size out there. But it would be 31.7"
285/75R16 is 32.8"

Generally if you're over 32" you would need the melt mod, but it can vary. My 285/75R16 Cooper AT3's were 32.6" and they rubbed before doing the melt mod.

The melt mod is incredibly simple and easy to do. Just do it if you're getting something over 32".

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Plug your metric tire sizes into a tire size calculator if you want to see the measurements in inches. This link is invaluable for comparing tire sizes and seeing the difference:

Sizes will vary by manufacturer and by tire, they're not always literally the size they claim to be. But generally speaking:

265/70R16 (OEM on non Pro4X and Off Road) is 30.6"
265/75R16 (OEM on Pro4X and Off Road) is 31.6"
285/70R16 is extremely rare, you won't really find that size out there. But it would be 31.7"
285/75R16 is 32.8"

Generally if you're over 32" you would need the melt mod, but it can vary. My 285/75R16 Cooper AT3's were 32.6" and they rubbed before doing the melt mod.

The melt mod is incredibly simple and easy to do. Just do it if you're getting something over 32".
Awesome, thanks!! This helps, will zero in on 285/75R16

·
TNX Veteran
4,915 Posts
"An optimized tread design combined with a silica tread compound enable the A/T3W to excel in three areas: wear, winter, and wet performance.
SILICA TREAD COMPOUND
delivers superior wear life and wet performance (non‐LT sizes)."
Thanks for this callout. They were on my shortlist for my next set of 35s. I'm not sure why they would drop the compound for LT sizes... ;(

·
Registered
247 Posts
After this spring, I am going to write up a detailed review on the AT3W after I have spent a lot of time in rain. I am a media storm chaser. I did spend a lot of time in deep snow and ice this last winter and they were UNBELIEVABLE. I was able to drive in snow so deep that I was plowing it with the front of the Xterra. The only thing that was able to stop me was when I would get into snow so deep that it would pack under the truck and eventually lift the tires up where I was high centered on snow. Absolutely bonkers how good they were.

Be aware, even the P rated AT3W has a very strong and stiff sidewall. It is rated 116 which is a higher load than many other LT tires. They do ride stiffer than any P tire I've had on the Xterra by a noticeable margin, but nothing like the Cooper AT3 LT I had on it before this set of Falkens. I will include sources when I write my full review, but I have found information (and my experience backs up) that using a Load E tire on a truck as light as the Xterra will give you extra side wall puncture resistance when on the trail, but you are giving up on road traction because the contact patch has no "squish". The Xterra is not heavy enough. It is like trying to play basketball while staying on your tip toes. The contact patch is a narrow strip if the tire sidewall is too stiff for the truck. Softer sidewall OR heavier truck allows the tire to deform at the contact patch making it bigger. I will include emails from tire engineers to back this up. It is exactly what I found with my Cooper AT3 load E tires. They were absolute crap in deep snow, ice, and rain. They were so bad in snow that I was not able to get into places to shoot blizzard video that I have gotten into for the last 10 years with Firestone Destination ATs on the Xterra. I kept those Coopers on for two seasons and they hosed me in snow every single time. But guys with F350s had great luck with them. Again, I'll provide more details and facts when I'm done storm chasing this spring, but I wanted to share with you since you might be buying soon. I have NOT had these on trail yet. I can tell you the Cooper AT3 was really good on the Alpine Loop. I hope this makes sense, its 2;20am and I'm exhausted and too tired to keep rewriting this to better explain myself! LOL!!! Off to bed for me....

·
Registered
2013 Metalic Blue S 6mt
23 Posts
1. Brand: Dick Cepek
2. Type: Exteme Country
3. Size: 255/85r16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: 4WD.com
6. Price per tire?: $227.99 (202.99 with purchase of 4)
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Y
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): Due to state law and having to have mudflaps had to do some mudflap trimming and melt to liner just above lower part of factory flap just to be sure.
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: So far, 10. Road noise no worse if not a little better than my cooper m&s', the short trails I took to test them on didn't even slip a bit. Will report more when I get my lift installed and have more trail time. Oh and they look so much better than the 265/70 snows that were on it.

·
Registered
2011 XTerra Pro-4X
2 Posts
1. Brand: Nokian
2. Type: Rotiiva AT
3. Size: 265/75R16 116S
4. Photo: N/A
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: On the truck when I bought it (spring 2019)
6. Price per tire?: About $120 as of this writing
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: N
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned:

These tires did alright in mixed city/highway and moderate trail driving in northern Nevada, but lost 40-50% of their tread in only 12,000 miles. Decent grip on dirt/rocks/snow for what they are, quiet at highway speeds, and returned 20-21 mpg under ideal conditions. Just got a flat with 50-60% tread remaining while on a gravel/rock road this last weekend, and the date codes don't follow US standards so I'm not sure how old they are (the spare was the original BFG Rugged Trail T/A from 2010; not confidence-inspiring). Looking to replace with LT265/75R16, either Wildpeaks or Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus.

421 - 440 of 448 Posts