Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
401 - 420 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You like your Falken at3w in the snow? I have 10 thousand miles on mine as well. I like the tire on and off road, but I find them horrible in the snow. Has me questioning how they got the mountain snow flake. Stopping and turning is where it really shows up. I have been side by side with a car with HT tires and he stops no slide, i got 5-10 ft of slide. Snow tires going on next winter.
Mine have been great in winter snow. I rarely have to use 4x4 in it. Granted the snow I get here we may get 8” but it’s usually 2-3”. I’ve never lost control in snow with them only when I hit some ice but that’s really any tire. It’s possible the extra weight from my armor is helping I suppose.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
1. Brand: Toyo Open Country MT

2. Type: Mud Terrain

3. Size: 315/75/16

4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Les Schwab

6. Price per tire?: $289

7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Yes

8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): Full Titan Swap / Alcans / Fiberglass fenders

9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 7.5
Road noise is fairly acceptable, they are the best MTs I’ve had in mud on any vehicle. Though in the rain and ice they’re useless. For crawling they’re alright, overall the tires aren’t bad. Next time I’ll be picking something different though.

·
Registered
2011 Lava Red Xterra Pro 4x
149 Posts
1. Brand:
Falken
2. Type:
Wildpeak A/T3W
3. Size:
LT265/75R16
4. Photo:
See below
5. Where did you purchase this tire?:
Local shop
6. Price per tire?:
$123 x 4 with $70 rebate
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N:
N
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable):
N/A
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned:
Just got them on so really too soon to tell but really quiet overall. So far so good. They look badass. Now I need a lift. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
1. Brand:
Falken
2. Type:
Wildpeak A/T3W
3. Size:
LT265/75R16
4. Photo:
See below
5. Where did you purchase this tire?:
Local shop
6. Price per tire?:
$123 x 4 with $70 rebate
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N:
N
N/A
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned:
Just got them on so really too soon to tell but really quiet overall. So far so good. They look badass. Now I need a lift. :grin:
Dealer gave me a price of $610 OTD for these.

·
Registered
2011 Lava Red Xterra Pro 4x
149 Posts
The sales guy really pushed the reinforced sidewalls and I guess an E load rating is good. We don't get much snow here and my offloading is pretty light so I'm thinking I have more than enough tire for my needs. As long as I can get to the trail head or water's edge I'm good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Although I found many of the postings here interesting/helpful, I also found many to be unhelpful. The primary reason for their being unhelpful was the extremely short period of time the tires had been on a rig. How can anyone have a meaningful opinion about their tires capabilities if they haven't used them for more than a few weeks? Might be helpful in the future to limit responses to a threshold of 5,000 miles usage, as well as sorting replies into subcategories depending on how the X is being used - city driving vs mixed vs off road. Don't know how to set up something like that, and it might not be realistic to do that. I totally get it when someone wants to show their new tires; they're a major hunk of change and they usually make the X look better and perform better, so why not brag. But if they've not been tested, other than looks, what do they do for the X? Not looking to flame anyone, but 41 pages??

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Although I found many of the postings here interesting/helpful, I also found many to be unhelpful. The primary reason for their being unhelpful was the extremely short period of time the tires had been on a rig. How can anyone have a meaningful opinion about their tires capabilities if they haven't used them for more than a few weeks? Might be helpful in the future to limit responses to a threshold of 5,000 miles usage, as well as sorting replies into subcategories depending on how the X is being used - city driving vs mixed vs off road. Don't know how to set up something like that, and it might not be realistic to do that. I totally get it when someone wants to show their new tires; they're a major hunk of change and they usually make the X look better and perform better, so why not brag. But if they've not been tested, other than looks, what do they do for the X? Not looking to flame anyone, but 41 pages??
You have to go into your user cp and change the replies per page to 40.
Makes the threads more manageable if you have the bandwidth.

I've had my BFG KO2s for around 40k miles. Mostly on road driving as this is my daily.
Tire wear has been uniform, nothing out of the ordinary. I usually get an alignment every 2-3 months because I have the firestone lifetime alignment deal.
They've been great here in the southwest. Rocky, sandy, talc-y trails have been good.
NO experience in snow or ice however so I can't comment on that.

Can't wait for the KM3s to come out. I think those are my next set in 35x17!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
1. Brand:HANKOOK
2. Type: DYNAPRO AT/M
3. Size: P265/75R 16
4. Photo: Tire Synthetic rubber Tread Automotive tire Auto part

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: CARMANS TIRE
6. Price per tire?: $607/4 OTD. With $50 mail in rebate.
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: N
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: Too new. First impression and short drive are impressive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Currently running Dynapro ATM 285's. Best tire I have ran so far. Wet traction is amazing coming from Cooper STT mud terrains.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New Tires installed today!!

1. Brand: Toyo
2. Type: R/T
3. Size: 285/75R16
4. Photo:
5. Where did you purchase? Simpletire.com
6. Price per tire?: after 15% off, they were 194 each
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Yes
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): Melt Mod, 2.5'' leveling kit installed
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: I will say these tires are super smooth, i will comment later down the road on an actual rating

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
1. Brand: BF Goodrich TA KO2
2. Type: All Terrain
3. Size: 285/70/17 on oem stock wheels
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Custom wheel offset.com
6. Price per tire?: $261
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): I did the melt mod. If you add 1.5" wheel spacers then you will need to trim a little bit of metal because it will rub on sharp turns.
This is my first tire I've bought for my Xterra so I can't compare them to other tires but they are quiet and don't really have any road noise. they are sticky so when driving slow you can hear it stick. they drive good in rain. I haven't really tested them in the snow since it didnt snow alot this winter for us in VA. I have oem stock 17" wheels. I've put about 4k miles on them. I love the tread pattern :)

·
TNX Veteran
4,915 Posts
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's

These are the second set of tires on my truck: https://www.thenewx.org/forum/69-brakes-tires-wheels/4645-tire-options-38.html#post3796890

1. Brand: Mickey Thompson - Mickey Thompson | Baja ATZ P3
2. Type: Baja ATZ P3
3. Size: 315/75/R16 Load Range E on OEM 16x7 wheels
4. Photo: (See below)
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: TireBuyer.com
6. Price per tire?: A very good price of about $210 per tire (10% off + $100 rebate)
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Y
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): Titan swap 3" lift front, 4" rear, 1" body lift, trimming of front fenders
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 9

My last set of tires were Mud Terrains. I wanted to gain back some MPG and lessen the road noise for when I go on road trips, but I still wanted an aggressive tire. This left me with a few MT/AT hybrid options - Nitto Ridge Grappler, Goodyear Duratrac, Cooper STT Max, Toyo R/T, and a few others... I decided to give the less popular Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 a try. So far, the risk has paid off.

Pros:

• CHEAP - cheaper than every other tire I was considering. Cheaper than a lot of 33s. Cheaper than my last set of tires.
  • TOUGH - Marketed as "all-terrain tread on mud terrain carcass" and that definitely holds up. Needed something to protect against the sharp roots/sticks/rocks of the narrow PNW trails.
  • EFFICIENT - Despite being heavier and larger, I get better MPG with 4.10s and these 35" tires than I did with my 33" MTs (16.2mph highway vs 15mpg highway).
  • LOW ROAD NOISE - Not silent, but no where near mud-terrain level.
  • EFFECTIVE - Lastly, these tires have handled everything I've thrown at them. They flex very well when aired down for a Load Range E 315mm width tire. I still would like to try them in deep/sticky mud to see how they handle, but I'm very happy so far.

Cons:

• My only complaint is that the sidewall could be a tad more aggressive (purely for looks) but TBH it is 90% there for me and I like the design otherwise
  • UPDATE 3/10/1029: Snowy-pavement performance is about a 5.5/10. Not terrible, but also not the best. Then again, I am comparing them to dedicated winter tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1. Brand:Maxxis
2. Type: Bighorn mt 762
3. Size: 255/85/r16
4. Photo:
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Pepboys
6. Price per tire?: 198.00
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: y
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): melt mod, 2 inch spacer lift
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned:7 I have had these tires on for about a year and a half now. they have been great for offroading but have noticed they seem to have worn out fairly quickly in that my x is not my daily driver and have only put 6k to 7k miles on them and they look much smaller than my spare but i will say most of the terrain has been pretty tough.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. Brand: BFG
2. Type: KO2
3. Size: 285/75/R16 (E Load, 80psi)
4. Photo: (see below)
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Tire Rack
6. Price per tire?: 198.00
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: y
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): melt mod
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 8 so far, with only 1200ish miles on them they are quieter than I could have possibly imagined and have great road manners.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys,
can anyone help me out here. Ive looked through the thread but cant really get a definite answer.
whats the biggest BF Good KO2 tire i can get with no mods done to the X. Its a 2014 S model.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,516 Posts
Hey guys,
can anyone help me out here. Ive looked through the thread but cant really get a definite answer.
whats the biggest BF Good KO2 tire i can get with no mods done to the X. Its a 2014 S model.

thanks in advance
265/75/16 with NO mods at all
(Might still rub a bit)

285/75/16 with the melt mod
(Super duper easy to do)

These are the tires I’m planning to get as well. (285’s)

Melt mod how to:

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/1346-how-melt-mod-making-285-75-16-tires-fit-pbr.html

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
. . . I've looked through the thread but cant really get a definite answer. What is the biggest BF Good KO2 tire i can get with no mods done to the X. Its a 2014 S model.
Your question has been answered hundreds if not thousands of times on TheNewX.org and is not tire brand specific.

Generally speaking the largest tire you can fit with no modifications whatsoever will be LT265/75R16. If you are willing to do the "melt mod" you can fit LT285/75R16.* Anything larger requires a suspension lift and/or body lift and/or sheet metal work and/or wheel spacers, etc.

_____
* For discussions of the "melt mod" try the following Google search: Site:thenewx.org melt mod

401 - 420 of 448 Posts