Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 441 Posts

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The goal of this thread is to create a sticky for tires based on user input. Please quote this post and remove this heading to complete the questionare below and submit your own post of which tire you use for your Xterra. Since this will become a sticky, Moderators will remove any posts that do not follow these guidelines; so please do not comment on anyone's post or submit a post of you own that does not adhere the rules of this header:

1. Brand:
2. Type:
3. Size:
4. Photo:
5. Where did you purchase this tire?:
6. Price per tire?:
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N:
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable):
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned:

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. Brand: BF Goodrich
2. Type: All Terrain KO's
3. Size: 265/75/r16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Pepboys
6. Price per tire?: 129.99
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: No
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): Not Applicable
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 10!

·
on line
2,077 Posts
1. Brand: Durango/Dean
2. Type: Radial M/T
3. Size: 255/85/r16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Vulcantire.com
6. Price per tire?: $116.99
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Yes
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): Melt Mod, but was not necessary
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 8....traction could be better in wet conditions around turns.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
1. Brand: Nitto
2. Type: Terra Grappler
3. Size: 265/75R16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Discount Tires
6. Price per tire?: $146
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: No
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned:

UPDATE 21 JULY 09

For an AT tire I give them a 9: 36,500 miles on these now and the only complaint I have about them is I should have gotten them in a D load range rather than an E. These don't seem to "flex" as much when aired down as I would want. And they don't appear aggressive enough for me than some other AT tires do. I have driven across country on these twice now and soon to be a third time and they have really good manners on the road for an E load tire on the X. I love them.

·
on line
631 Posts
1. Brand: Definity
2. Type: Dakota M/T
3. Size: 285/75R16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Pep Boys
6. Price per tire?: $100 (got the hookup on it)... $124 regular price
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: YES
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): TGC spacers. AC shackles
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 10! never had any problems in mud, sand, rocks, or on road. over 10,000 miles and only 1/16" of wear. plus these have a 40k mile warranty! also these mud terrains are sipped for added traction and can be studded for icy conditions...

·
on line
14,014 Posts
1. Brand: BFGoodrich
2. Type: All-Terrain KO
3. Size: 265/75/16
4. Photo: There are plenty of pics of this tire!
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: NTB (National Tire & Battery)
6. Price per tire?: Approx. $164
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: Definitely a 10! No complaints![/img]

·
on line
268 Posts
1. Brand: Nitto
2. Type: Terra Grappler
3. Size: 265/75R16
4. see it above
5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Discount Tire Direct
6. Price per tire?: $121
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: I'm not going to rate them yet as I haven't had them long enough. But so far they've been great tires and a huge improvement over the stock BFG's.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
1. Brand: Maxxis
2. Type: Bighorn M/T
3. Size: 305/70r 17 (34")
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: selecttire.com
6. Price per tire?: I purchased at their ebay price of $668 for all 4 shipped... i noticed that price per tire on their site is now $199 ea
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: YES
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): (front)CST 4" lift spindles+Radflo's, (rear) 4" lift Alcan spring packs+AC shackles, plastic trimming in front
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 9--Aside from the horibble gas milage due to the heavy weight they're great... excellent wet traction for an MT... 6000 miles on them so far and no abnormal wear... normal MT road noise.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
1. Brand:Firestone Destination A/T
2. Type:A/T
3. Size:LT265/75/R16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?:Tirerack.com
6. Price per tire?:$105.00-$122.00
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N:NO
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable):N/A
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned:10 so far

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Update at 26k

1. Brand: Interco (SuperSwamper)
2. Type: TrXus M/T
3. Size: 255/85R16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Discount Tire (local)
6. Price per tire?: $139
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Y
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): AC coils with Old Man Emu shocks up front, AC single AAL in rear. Melt mod in front. These were done to fit the 285's I'd been running.
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: I've only got 1500 miles so far but would give them a 9. Great off-road. Solid on-road. Not much noise for an M/T and only slightly rougher ride. Gas mileage seems to be down a bit (not surprising).

Update 1/27/10
I'm at 26k (most with a 5 wheel rotation, part with only 4) and one tire is down to 4/32nds. I've got a thousand miles or two left before that that tire needs to be replaced. The others are at 5/32, 6/32, 6/32, and one never used that is mounted as the spare (I had a tire replaced under road-hazard). I also took a hit of 2 mpg or so with these compared to the worn 285/75R16 Dueler Revo's I'd been running.

I believe that the issue is size more than the tire itself. I've come to believe that the 255/85R16 is too narrow for an X loaded with Shrock front and rear bumpers, winch, gobi rack, etc. Add on the fact that I tow a healthy size trailer and the loading is more than the 255 is meant for. With the narrow tires, the sidewalls have to deflect more to get the needed footprint for a given air pressure. This causes increased energy losses (heat) in the sidewall as well as increased deflection of the tread. The effect is increased wear and decreased mpg.

Bottom line is it's time for new meats, and I definitely won't be going with the 255/85R16, and probably will look at a different tire. The TrXus perfomed exceptionally well on all terrain (highway, dirt, gravel, snow, ice, rock, etc), but I may try something else anyway. I lost 1-2 mpg and these wore out pretty quickly.

Update 2/5/10
Installed new tires today (Maxxis Bighorns in 285/75R16). I new the TrXus had gotten louder as they wore, expecially the one that was down to the last few 32nds, but I didn't quite appreciate how loud they were. I can now hear my exhaust and the wind through the Gobi rack and lights for the first time a long while.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
1. Brand: Toyo
2. Type: Open Country MT
3. Size: 285/75R16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: OK Tire, Chilliwack
6. Price per tire?: $215 cdn balanced and installed
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): Melt mod inside fender
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 10 so far. expected the road noise, they have softened the ride on road. have gone offroading once and climbed hils that I needed 4 wheel drive before, now only 2 wheel drive.

·
on line
15 Posts
1. Brand: Cooper
2. Type: Discoverer STT
3. Size: 285/75r16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Discount Tire
6. Price per tire?: $800 out the door (4)
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Y
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): Re-formed wheel liner
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 10- Look sweet, 8-little bumpy at 80mph

·
on line
3,262 Posts
1. Brand: Pro Comp
2. Type: Xtreme Mud Terrain
3. Size: 315/70/17 ~ 35x12.5
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: 4Wheel Parts
6. Price per tire?: $259 each
8. If so, what were they?: Calmini 5" lift with radflo coilovers and a coil spacer. Some fender trimming is necessary.
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 8.5 out of 10 alot quieter than I thought, so far wear is very minimal, super aggressive, tough as nails sidewall, very good in boggy mud. A bit pricey, mud doesnt clean out as well as I expected at low speeds.

·
on line
1,608 Posts
1. Brand:Goodyear
2. Type:MT/R
3. Size:265 70 17
4. Photo:
5. Where did you purchase this tire?:discount tire
6. Price per tire?:220
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: yes
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable):calmini aal
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: well this is my first car they ride good so far

EDIT: They now have 45k miles on them and probably could go another 5k or more. They perform great in snow, mud, and not bad in sand.
EDIT: 51k miles still some tread left but I had the money so I ordered new tires. These were great would recommend them to anyone 10 stars!
________
EASY VAPE VAPORIZER

·
on line
955 Posts
Pro Comp
Xterains
285/75/16
4wheel parts
$189/tire (bought when had the 100 off rebate)
No mods before
Love these tires...can't rate them only had bfg ats before, but did not do the wheeling like we do now?

(alt+p)

·
on line
579 Posts
Nitto
Terra Grapplers
285/75-16 on 16x8 ProComp Cast Blast 7089's
4 Wheel Parts
$141
6" Fabtech in front. PRG shackles & Deavers in back. Fox 2.0 x 11" in the box waiting for brackets to be welded.

·
on line
666 Posts
1. Brand: Yokohama
2. Type: Geolandar A/T-S
3. Size: 265/75-16 Load range D
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Discount Tire
6. Price per tire?: $160.00
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Nope
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): N/A
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: So far I'll give it a 7. Quiet, great traction went and did some wet wheeling the day I got them, and the stuck well, and cleared mud pretty well. I will try to remember to give an update as miles go by.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
1. Brand:Definity
2. Type:Dakota M/T
3. Size: 285/75/16

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Pep Boys
6. Price per tire?: 130.99 and buy 3 get one free. Total Cost: Mounted Balanced, and Road hazard Warranty= $543.38
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: Yes
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): AC Coils on Rancho 9000 Shocks, AC aal 3 pack, SLR Shackles
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: Well I have to give it a 10 since this is only the second set of tires I have ever owned. These are Great tires, the noise isn't all that bad, traction in dry dirt and mud is incredible, and they have a very rugged look to them. I haven't had them all that long yet so I can't tell you how fast they wear but they are so cheap I don't really care.

·
on line
896 Posts
1. Brand:Firestone Destination
2. Type:M/t
3. Size:258 75 16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?:Firestone Complete Auto Care
6. Price per tire? $170
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: yes
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable):melt mod, and AC shackles/TGC spacers
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: 10, road noise is minimal, wear is great, and kick ass on ANY terrain

·
on line
225 Posts
1. Brand: BFGoodrich
2. Type: Mud-Terrain T/A KM
3. Size: 255/85R-16
4. Photo:

5. Where did you purchase this tire?: Tires Plus in Frederick, MD
6. Price per tire?: $1,100 for 5 - mounted, balanced, and bolted on the truck
7. Were any modifications to your truck's height or wheel well made prior to the installation of these tires? Y/N: No, but had to do the melt mod to one small spot in the front fender wells (about 1/8'')
8. If so, what were they? (If applicable): See above
9. Your overall satisfaction with the tire on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best tire you've ever owned: So far 10. They got me through a couple spots that have gotten me stuck before. On the highway they make a slight, kind of a wining noise, but it is nothing too noticable. I believe they actually improved the ride slightly (more give in the added height). I will keep updating this reply as I put more useage on them.

1 - 20 of 441 Posts