Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where are the monitoring systems located? what if you want to replace wheels or tires, will they stay there? just wondering.........

·
on line
160 Posts
They're wireless. They go by radio signals. So its okay to pull the tire and wheel off and not worry about ripping wiring.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
They are attached to the rim. if you change tires those stay with you

·
on line
807 Posts
On a similar note, if I run larger tires with a D load range, in order to get even tread wear I may have to run them at ~30psi, Does this mean the TPMS basically becomes useless? Can the pressure at which it activates be changed?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
You can answer a lot of your questions by reading my link, but if you want them personally answered one by one we can do that too.

A. No matter the size, or rating of the tire, nor the amount of air, as long as the tire has the proper amount of air, the sensors will function and warn you when they are below the recommended PSI OR there is such a difference in PSI that you should be looking into it. Such as one tire at 30 and another 3 at 42.

Seriously though, read the link and learn how they work on your own. You'll be a better user for it. You can do what you want with the tires. Let installers know you have air sensors so they don't damage them. Read the link. MC

·
on line
551 Posts
interesting reading.
Note that the TPMS only informs when the tire is underinflated not overinflated. Have had that happen.
But according to that link, (if I am reading it right)it will only go off if a tire or tires fall below 25% of the manufacteurs reccomended inflation. So if that is true, then running D range tires with 50 PSI the TPMS won't alert you to a low tire until it's about 25-30 PSI?
I'm still runing stock tires, so haven't had the chance to play with the air pressure on aftermarket tires, but are you running your D range tires at 35PSI+/- ?

·
on line
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what if you get new rims, will they transfer them? will they break when removing/installing the tire?

·
on line
1,017 Posts
my light went on yesterday, first time it was around 0 degrees F so the air in the tires compressed and it resulted in the light coming on. I checked the tire pressure and they were around 25-27psi so I filled them back up to 35 and the light instantly went off. :). Now what happens if we get a warm spell again and my tires go up to 45 psi or something...

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Your tire can actually take 100 Psi and nothing will happen. So they don't worry about over inflation.
Part of "Wheels Fitting" Is the sensors fit the wheels in question, Now wheel searchers! How's that for a curve ball!
But note, I don't have sensors in factory rims. The light may go on and off but no alarm. Off most of the time. Don't bother me. As someone said winter is when the air freaks out and you get a lot of alarms anyways.
MC

·
on line
1,884 Posts
usmc xterra said:
As someone said winter is when the air freaks out and you get a lot of alarms anyways.
MC
Whenenver MC gets going I get a lot of alarms.... :geek:

You know I'm pulling your cord MC. You have got to lead the way with info for these toys we call the X! :cheers:

·
on line
168 Posts
Ya really ought to check your tires once a week. I have one of those big Accu-Gage tire gauges and a Tsunami air pump (thanks to MC's post). I don't worry about the weather. Just keep checking that tire pressure. Tire pressure also is a big factor in mpg.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
bikemanj7 said:
My light has been on all winter.
That shall be warranty, sometimes they have to re program the sensors to the vehicle. If you tried the pump to 40 run it a day, then in next am let the air down to spec. If that did not work. Dealer time!

I should have signed on as gadget man. LOL MC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts