Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying hello. :hello2: This is my first post.

I have been really thinking about moding my 06 4x4 SE X. I have come to the conclusion, that I am going to!! :cheers:

I have decided I will start with the basics, lift and tires.

I have an idea on what tires I will want to be fitting. I was looking at tires that are 305/70/17, correct me if I am wrong, but are those considered 34" tires?

So my question is, would kind of lift would I need to do, to get those tires under the X?

Would shackles and spacers be enough? Would I need to do shackles, spaces, and AAL? Would I need to add all that and a BL or less than with a BL?

Or are the 305's out of the question and need to get 285's?

Thanks for your help in advance. I will obviously be updating the progress of my X as I start to modify it

·
on line
29 Posts
255 85 16 is taller than 285's but skinnier (better in most cases in my opinion). In most cases either can be run stock with heat gun treatment to some plastic in the wheel well.

305's will probably need a good size (5 inch or more) lift and some trimming, but others would know better than I.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
He is referring to 17" wheels. The 305/70 is about 34"x12", and the 285/70 is about 33"x11". Looks like the 285/70/17 is about the equivalent to the 285/75/16, which guys run with no lift and just molding the front inner fender plastic a bit. It is also a popular tire for a 2" lift, ala spacer or coils and AAL or shackle. I'm not so sure you'd want to run a 12" wide tire on a 7" wide wheel... I've heard it is even hard to find a place to mount that combo. My guess is you'd need a lift in the 5"+ range for that size tire, though there aren't too many guys running 17" wheels here to know for sure.

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is it possible to to run 285/70/17's with the calmini shackle and spacer 2.5"-3" SL?

I am interested in getting the factory 17" titan steel wheels and powder coating them black.

·
on line
2,306 Posts
Check out Rook's ride. He's running 34's (295/75/16 on stock wheels).

Basically, you need spacers/adapters, lift, melt mod and trimming of your fenders to get anything larger than a 33" tire.

·
Registered
282 Posts
thanks, Greg said that normally the spacers cause the rubbing to become worse, but could theoretically fit the 295s with just a lift

·
on line
6,159 Posts
You need spacers with the wider tires to stop rubbing on the frame. Then you get more rub on the fender liners, but that you can cut... unlike the frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts