Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it came time to replace the stock BFG rugged trails that came on my 2011 X. The BFGs lasted 34k miles, still had some tread left but the wet traction was horrible and almost dangerous. After mus reading on the forum I decided to go with Cooper AT3s in the stock size 267/75-16. Found them at Discount tire for $680 out the door. The Coopers look good, much better tread pattern than the BFGs. They rode nice and were quiet at slow speeds but over 70 on teh interstate they vibrated horribly. The steering wheel would shake a couple inches. Took them back and teh guys at Discount tried balancing them twice. Even though the balance showed good the tires just would not ride smooth at high speeds. Swapped them out for some Hankook dynapro ATMs. These tires ride smooth at high speeds. The side siping looks aggressive. They may be slightly noisier than the Coopers but are still a quiet riding tire. Wet traction seems good too. Have not had a chance to get them off road yet, but I expect they will do much better than the BFGs. Overall I think the trad design of the coopers is better but evidently they have some quality problems. So beware if you go with Coopers, you might get a bad tire.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I'm not very impressed with my Discoverer ATPs. Ive had issues getting them balanced (I've been back several times) and they are very loud. I swear they are as loud as the BFG M/Ts were on my Rubicon. Although, Jeep uses better sound deadening materials...

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
So it came time to replace the stock BFG rugged trails that came on my 2011 X. The BFGs lasted 34k miles, still had some tread left but the wet traction was horrible and almost dangerous. After mus reading on the forum I decided to go with Cooper AT3s in the stock size 267/75-16. Found them at Discount tire for $680 out the door. The Coopers look good, much better tread pattern than the BFGs. They rode nice and were quiet at slow speeds but over 70 on teh interstate they vibrated horribly. The steering wheel would shake a couple inches. Took them back and teh guys at Discount tried balancing them twice. Even though the balance showed good the tires just would not ride smooth at high speeds. Swapped them out for some Hankook dynapro ATMs. These tires ride smooth at high speeds. The side siping looks aggressive. They may be slightly noisier than the Coopers but are still a quiet riding tire. Wet traction seems good too. Have not had a chance to get them off road yet, but I expect they will do much better than the BFGs. Overall I think the trad design of the coopers is better but evidently they have some quality problems. So beware if you go with Coopers, you might get a bad tire.
Hankook ATMs FTW! Anyone who's had those tires knows how awesome they are

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
A lot of ppl I know run Hankook tires and are very happy with them. They were my second choice. Still very happy with the Fierce Attitude MT's I bought though.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
The Hancooks were on my truck when I bought her. I never really have had any issues with them, decent gas milage, and not too loud. I am getting to the point they need to be replaced even though I have only driven on them for a year. They clearly have been on the rig for awhile, you can tell.

I was tempted to go for them again or try something else out. Overall they have worked well, the only two times I have gotten stuck in mud were because I bottomed out. Other than that, they have been good to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have a set of ATMs on our Pathfinder and am impressed with them. Great on road in all conditions including heavy rain and the light snow we get around here. That truck has only seen forest service roads in the mountains but the tires are certainly more capable than that. Good buy for the money too.

·
on line
515 Posts
I had the Hankooks on my last X; a great tire at a great price.

The new (used) truck came with Cooper AT3s on it. I have to admit they are noticeably better in the snow. Just did the 8 miles into work here on snow packed roads in Erie, PA in 2wd. Even able to accelerate from a stop uphill without the traction control clicking in.

You will not be unhappy with the Hankooks in the snow, and I do think they are still better in the mud and are quieter.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
That is an odd observation. Everyone swears by how good the hankooks are in the snow. I don't know how they couldn't be with all of that siping.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have about 30K on a set of Hankook Dynapros and can only say good things. They have been great in the snow, rain and whatever else we get here in Mass. So far they've worn well too. Id say they have another 30K in them for sure. I'd 100% buy again.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have the 265/75 c-load A/T3's and have had no issues. Had them for just over a year and about 17k miles and love them. Great traction and ride on and off road and no visible wear after a year and look great

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, Cooper AT3's here also. We sell a lot of coopers at our shop. Its our main selling tire being that its American made. The few times I get a tire that requires a lot of wheel weights we will send it back to our tire distributor and they'll send us another one. But mine are super quit and no vibration. Love them!!! They were designed to compete with the BFG's from the research I did when I was looking to buy.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yeah, Cooper AT3's here also. We sell a lot of coopers at our shop. Its our main selling tire being that its American made.
Most Cooper tires are made in Chinese Factories now and they have merged with a foreign company. I feel like a fool for buying mine. I was deciding between the Cooper ATP and the Dynapro ATM and I was trying to do the right thing and bought the Coopers. Really pisses me off now because I'm very unhappy with them and they aren't even an American company.

Live and learn, I'll do more research next time. I can't wait for them to wear out.

·
on line
515 Posts
That is an odd observation. Everyone swears by how good the hankooks are in the snow. I don't know how they couldn't be with all of that siping.
You misunderstood. The Hankooks are good in the snow, I just give the edge to the AT3s. Going from memory here, but the AT3s seem like they are more heavily siped.

Remember there also is compounding. Depending on the amount of silica added to the rubber (and its formulation) two tires with identical siping and tread will have different traction in the cold.

Hankooks are good in the snow. IMHO, the AT3s are better.

Cheers! :drink:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Most Cooper tires are made in Chinese Factories now and they have merged with a foreign company. I feel like a fool for buying mine. I was deciding between the Cooper ATP and the Dynapro ATM and I was trying to do the right thing and bought the Coopers. Really pisses me off now because I'm very unhappy with them and they aren't even an American company.

Live and learn, I'll do more research next time. I can't wait for them to wear out.
So misinformed. Most of the Cooper branded tires are still made in the USA, they merged in June
with Apollo from INDIA :violent1: Apollo's brand & Vredestein are very highly regarded in Europe.
I just bought 6 Coopers for my 1-ton dually. Made In USA clearly visible on the sidewalls of each.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts