Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just blew two of my stock tires and looking to get a new set. I know the BFGs are the tire of choice, but just too expensive for me right now. If I had saved $ in advance for this it would be a different story, but this kind of happened at a bad time. So, I've narrowed down my choices to two tires:

Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTXs (not the Claw) $153 ea @ JC Whitney
or
General Grabber AT2 $115 ea @ Tire Rack

Moving up to 285/75/16

I need your help making a decision. Opinions?

·
on line
1,695 Posts
A friend of a friend has the Grabbers and likes them. They seem like a decent tread, and the price is right, but I'd be curious how strong those sidewalls are (are they 2-ply?); they have to be cheap for a reason, ya know?

On a side note, the 265/75 BFG ATs are only $161 on Tire Rack.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
miles said:
why dont you go procomp? right now there is a sale buy 3 get 1 free...
Well, sorta...

It's more like buy 3 tires at an inflated price and get all four for slightly less than normal.

·
on line
551 Posts
If it was me, and money was a concern, I'd opt for the cheapest alternative that would get the job done. And if I didn't like them, I could replace them when finances were better.
So in your case, I'd grab the Generals.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
There are the Kumho Venture MT's ~$110 for a 285 sized tire.

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do like the procomps, and the price isn't all that terrible for the set. The Nittos are nice as well, but It hink I'm going to go with the Mickey Thompson ATZs. I found them on ebay for a rediculously cheap price. They're a little more aggressive than the ATXs, and the price is definitley right. But I've been looking around online and can't find any reviews of them at all, which makes me a little hesitant.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
When the tires you want are only 25% more why not get them?

You'll be "stuck" with the compromise tires for 40-50,000 miles for a lack of $100-$125. Sounds like a good reason to use a credit card.

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PaulXyZ said:
When the tires you want are only 25% more why not get them?

You'll be "stuck" with the compromise tires for 40-50,000 miles for a lack of $100-$125. Sounds like a good reason to use a credit card.
Well, I really do want the BFG All Terrain, of course, but I can't justify spending the $850 or so on them (before shipping), when I found the Mickey Thompson ATZs for $545 (before shipping) on ebay. I'm going on a 2 week trip around Europe next week, so like I said this came at a really bad time, and which is why I'm scrimping for pennies and trying to save every last dollar. Yes, I know I just made that word up.

But like I said, I can't find any decent reviews on the MT ATZs. Does anyone know a good site that has a review of them?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
What about trying to find a set of used tires around for dirt cheap then saving money for the real tires you want.

I know there are lots of people who upgrade tires so call around. This way you save a lot of money now, but you can get the tires you want in a year or sooner.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Procomp Xterrains are a sweet move. I just got a quote for 5 (buy 4 get 1 free) new, 33"Firestone Destination MTs, balanced, mounted, and warrantied out the door.. $800
:cheers:

·
on line
3,218 Posts
I know there are lots of people who upgrade tires so call around. This way you save a lot of money now, but you can get the tires you want in a year or sooner.
There's a set of 5 OE BFGoodrich longtrails w/ 6K on 'em for $300 somewhere out there.. :cyclopsani:

(No affiliation to sale)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts