Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to start building my rear bumper and tire carrier. Im trying to decide between a single swingout and a dual arm swing out...

Thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of either? I want to mount a spare and some kind of a holder for jerry cans, pelican boxes, etc.

Thanks! Cant wait to get building!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why will the hinges have to sit out in front of the bumper with dual? so the tailgate will clear?

the only thing i'm shaky on with the dual is having the latch just pulling the two arms together without anything locking them to the bumper...

plasticone good point about it being annoying to open both...i am in and out of the tailgate all the time

·
on line
10,980 Posts
why will the hinges have to sit out in front of the bumper with dual? so the tailgate will clear?
Because if you limit the width to only the center section, either you will not be able to open the tailgate (if the arms are on top of the center cap) or they won't be long enough to hold anything (if they're on top or aft of the center cap) ... the single arm on a Shrock or similar takes up the whole width of the cap and is only just big enough - width wise - for a tire.

the only thing i'm shaky on with the dual is having the latch just pulling the two arms together without anything locking them to the bumper...
I would absolutely *not* do it this way ... each arm must be positively secured (preferably independently) to the bumper. Best would be to use fixed structure to secure the arm in the vertical and the latch to only secure the rotation about the hinge. This takes some of the weight (and most of the torque that would oppose the hinge axis) of the arm off of the hinge when the arm is latched and does not rely on the latch for securing vertical loads.

·
Registered
89 Posts
is that a home build tire carrier? if it is .... awesome job!!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
No, like the rest of that rig, that bumper was bought, not built :thumbup:

If you look at my build thread, you can see how I did my single-arm, which extends across both bumper caps similar to how Hefty's does. I used extended RockyMtnX recovery tabs, welded a beefy tube on top and went from there.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
I'm hurt... :(

you mean my design goals and engineering objectives have no value unless I do them?

and that no others may benefit from the pioneering work that I have had done to my rig?

I was thinking of buying a Cadillac water cooled alternator to achieve one of my final objectives but fvuck that, it will be store bought and my engineering designs worth nothing.

9 years of working on my rig so someone can say I did nothing but buy it from a store.

Now i know why some of the more senior members of this forum go away.

"ThePlasticOne" GFY...... you could have taken a higher road

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
No, like the rest of that rig, that bumper was bought, not built :thumbup:

If you look at my build thread, you can see how I did my single-arm, which extends across both bumper caps similar to how Hefty's does. I used extended RockyMtnX recovery tabs, welded a beefy tube on top and went from there.
That was uncalled for.
And that's coming from me for gods sake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts