Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have BFG 285/75R/16 T/A's mounted on my stock wheels and am getting vibration at highway speeds. I know other X owners on here have had difficulty balancing this size tire also.

Has anyone with this size tire successfully balanced them out on stock wheels with no issues?

I'm due for a rotation so I'll try to balance them again - I'll try force balancing this time. If that doesn't do the trick I may just revert back to stock tire size or try 16x8 wheels as MC did.

Happy Labor Day :bom:

·
on line
1,884 Posts
You may get lucky and have them balance on stock wheels, but the best bet is to move to a wheel within the spec recommended for that tire ie 7.5 inch or larger..

·
on line
807 Posts
I thought the stock wheels were 16x7.5? Are you saying they are only 7"wide?

·
on line
496 Posts
When I switched to the 16x8 steelies and the 305's my wheels balanced out using a third the weights as the 285's on the stock 16x7 wheels. I was suprised at how much the width does affect this.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
It's expensive, but if you can find someone who does it. Force balancing will do it or at least make it as best it can be! What they do is balance the wheel and tire, then they dismount it and turn the tire 180 to the wheel and re balance. Some computerized machine that cost a LOT of cash but does the trick! After a few times it gets the heavy side of the wheel to the light side of the tire. It's then that they balance it out one final time, it will then take about half the weight as it did before they began. But mind you, Once you do it, it's done.

Once you do this, you'll be hooked, so beware.

My Dealer has the machine, $135. all four wheels. MC

·
on line
240 Posts

·
on line
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll give the Hunter machine a try....there are several near me in the Detroit burbs. I wasn't even aware of this type of balancing until I read through some older posts. Is amazing all the stuff you learn on this site. Hope it works out as I prefer not to get wider wheels or go back to stock size tire.....will let you know :bom:

·
on line
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My local Discount Tire shop will do it for $20/wheel. $45 sounds like a great deal for this service as it seems pretty labor intensive.

·
on line
240 Posts
I used to have it done at Gateway Tire when we lived in Tennessee. I guess for $45 they were being awefully nice to me. Oh well, I guess I'll get reamed down here when it has to be done on my car now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts