Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Tips for driving a manual tranny in a rocky terrain.

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Old Army 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So what are some of the tricks when it comes to driving uphill on a rough terrain that has plenty of large stones? Are there any techniques that will allow help one to control the amount of throttle?

#6 ·
Muzikman said:
Yep, 4Lo and get to know the clutch.

Most manuals suck for rock crawling. Unless you are geared really really really low you end up slipping the clutch a lot more than normal.
That's what I have noticed. When you slip or stall, what is the best way to recover? I dragged the E brake just a little bit and it seemed to help out. Is that a right way?

#7 ·
You can use the ebrake, but it's not going to last long.

Although I doubt you could do it in a new Xterra, but hand throtles help.

Use the normal heel - toe trick.

If you have an OR model, this is what the clutch by-pass switch is for.

#8 ·
clutch by-pass in the X works great.

Here is how I drive MT off road in the rocks.

4Lo. I place it in 1st and let out the clutch. I hardly touch the gas and try to navigate my way.

If I feel the engine getting close to stall I try to be light on the gas.

If I stall and I am up against a rock I engage the clutch by-pass. Feet off the pedals and turn the key. It will pull you over the rock and let you continue on your way.

However, I will never purchase another MT off road unless it is geared really low.

#10 ·
Yeller_X said:
Makes me really wish I went with the Offroad, just for clutch bypass.
I am unsure on the Xterra's how it works, but in my old Eagle Talon, i could just unplug the switch that is behind the clutch. This way the computer always thinks the clutch is dis-engaged. It shouldnt care either way. Although for this, I bet you could rig some sort of switch up, so that it is just as easy as having an OR.

Has this been tried already?

#12 ·
With the stock tires and gearing, the crawl ratio is low enough to tackle the kind of stuff that a stock X can handle. Add bigger tires and you will be wishing for lower gears.

2x on the release the clutch with little or no gas. Don't rely on lots of gas and slipping the clutch or you will be buying clutches frequently.

I find the x is geared well for its capabilities. I have no issue with driving it off road in moderately challenging terrain.

I actually stall my rock crawling CJ more often.

-Old Army

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.