Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Raleigh, NC. I took my car to Carfix to get the problem diagnosed...which I already knew what was wrong. They only confirmed it. Turns out it's both timing chains that need to be replaced. I have read plenty of posts on here about the timing chain and replacement costs for individuals, but have not come across anyone that has had it done in NC, or Raleigh, NC. I was hoping that by posting here someone near the area might have some suggestions on where to get it done. Carfix told me they would do it for $2,600...I think that is a little ridiculous. I know it is costly, but $2,600 is way more than the prices I have read others on here post. My miliage is at 177,000 and I have a 2009 Xterra S trim.

Anyone have any suggestions, or anyone from the area maybe post where they got theirs done at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Jcashford92.

Ive heard of xterra timing chain replacement quotes which were very similar to that which you posted.

The sad reality is your current engine already has 177,000 miles on it.
After spending nearly three thousand dollars you will have new chains on an old engine.

I'm positive someone will soon say " You know how your engine has been maintained and it could go another 100K miles."

To tell the truth, their right.
However, with 177K miles of wear already upon your engine there are plenty of items which could soon fail . I can only hope the price quoted included a new waterpump, but it probably didn't.

For the most part, the average xterra/frontier owner dont abuse their vehicles, and I would be perfectly comfortable in purchasing an engine which has less than 60k miles on it.

If it was me, I would be looking for a newer engine and perform a swap.
You might pay a little more(possibly not) but in the end you may find a good low mileage engine which could save you alot of cash in the long run.

Reactions: Glenlivet

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Give a call to Lee NIssan over near Wilson. They quoted me just doing the secondary guides for like 800 bucks a few years ago - why I was getting quotes in Wilson NC is a story too long to tell. Based on how mine came out around 200K miles I would guess just the secondary guides would definitely have bought me a lot more miles - everything else that came out looked pretty good.

Parts have really gone up, along with labor rates. I ended up several years having an indy shop in my small town $1700 for everything including the water pump. Even then the owner of the shop who I know told me the parts had gone up a lot and he actually was making less than he thought, but he quoted 1700 so he stuck with it. I presume $2K + is for sure the going rate for the whole job at this point.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The VQ40 will last a very long time with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
So I live in Raleigh, NC. I took my car to Carfix to get the problem diagnosed...which I already knew what was wrong. They only confirmed it. Turns out it's both timing chains that need to be replaced. I have read plenty of posts on here about the timing chain and replacement costs for individuals, but have not come across anyone that has had it done in NC, or Raleigh, NC. I was hoping that by posting here someone near the area might have some suggestions on where to get it done. Carfix told me they would do it for $2,600...I think that is a little ridiculous. I know it is costly, but $2,600 is way more than the prices I have read others on here post. My miliage is at 177,000 and I have a 2009 Xterra S trim.

Anyone have any suggestions, or anyone from the area maybe post where they got theirs done at?

Thanks.
I paid a Nissan dealership outside of Atlanta $1700 to replace the timing chains, guides, water pump, oil pump, thermostat, hoses and rad fluid and they provided a loaner car during the repair. $2600 isn't crazy but also a little on the high end I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I paid a Nissan dealership outside of Atlanta $1700 to replace the timing chains, guides, water pump, oil pump, thermostat, hoses and rad fluid and they provided a loaner car during the repair. $2600 isn't crazy but also a little on the high end I think.
That's not a terrible price! I am looking to have this done on my X in the next 6 months and I also live in the metro-ATL. What dealer did you go to to have this done?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts