Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 07 Manual X died about a month ago and hasn't started since. After failing to figure it out myself, a mechanic diagnosed it as a timing chain issue. I just pulled it apart tonight and found that the main tensioner bolts had pulled out (the tensioner dropped free from its mounting location after I pulled the cover off). I got some helicoils installed in the holes and I'm ready to put it back together, but I've got two questions.

1. Is there an easy way to check if the valves were damaged or should I just say a prayer and put it back together and see if it runs?

2. More importantly, how the hell do I determine I'm at TDC on the compression stroke? For checking the cylinder is at the top I figure I can pull the spark plug and look to see when it's at the top of the stroke. For checking the valves, I can either just look at the alignment markings on the sprockets or if I'm really concerned I can pull the valve covers and look at the cams. But how do I check that I'm not 180 out?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Turn the engine over by hand. See if you can feel it mechanically bind. Not just hit a compression stroke and get tight. If you can turn it by hand, do a compression test.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Crank it by hand, with the #1 spark plug out , put a rod in to see the piston was at the top when cranking it by hand, then check the timing mark on the crank pulley with the bracket with the corresponding marking (dont recall the bracket name, it's in the FSM..)

Then pull the rocker covers and verify the cam lobes line up as per the fsm, and also that the cam sprocket timing marks line up.

As stated you need a compression test to be sure valves didnt get bent. If its low or zero on a cylinder, that one has bent valves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts