Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I need to have the timing chains replaced on my 2006 X with 130,000 miles as a result of the engine whine. I have been reading a few threads to figure what specific parts I need to do a 100% complete job including the water pump. I would think it best to stick with OEM Nissan parts....even if they failed once already!
In looking on Amazon I found two separate kits that "might" fit the bill. The first kit claims to be OEM Nissan (http://www.amazon.com/2005-2010-Nissan-Xterra-timing-Chain/dp/B006GF62XM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443487621&sr=8-1&keywords=xterra+timing+chain). This kit includes the following: Nissan Xterra timing chain kit. Includes:1x oil filter and drain plug washer 1x front main seal 2x timing chain tensioner shoes 4x o-ring seals 2x secondary timing chains 1x silicone. This is not a complete kit since there is no main timing chain and no W/P.
This kit claims to be totally complete (http://www.amazon.com/Evergreen-TK3042WOP-Timing-Chain-Water/dp/B00LMHZ1U4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ADNZFMCMWWJYVG2AEC5&dpID=51wpBaVcTpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_) but this is not OEM Nissan parts, and the price is much higher.
So what does the collective knowledge of the forum say? What is the best way to go in terms of parts procurement? I don't mind not using OEM Nissan parts IF the quality of the aftermarket parts have a good reputation.

Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so if I went with the first kit, that is not all inclusive but IS Nissan parts, what other parts do I need to make it totally complete to replace every important part? Water pump? Oil pump? Main chain? What else am I missing? I want to do this job once and NEVER again....I would rather spend more on parts now. It's the labor that is the killer, and I don't care to pay that again!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also is Aisin the OEM Nissan parts supplier for the water pump? I know that Aisin is the OEM supplier for Toyota, so perhaps they supply Nissan as well.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
A lot of times the dealer is competitive on part pricing. Have you tired a few dealers or the ones we have on here. I'd be calling them especially since you are concerned with quality.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There is a complete list of the required parts in the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) NTB09-128 (google : NTB09-128 pdf).

I have just done that on my 230000 Km 2005 Xterra. It's a good job but it can be done if you take your time, use a torque wrench and follow the Service Manual.

And, by the way, use genuine Nissan parts, I simply brought the TSB to my dealer and they ordered the parts for me, I have paid $150 Can so $95 US $ is a good price.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem with the TSB is that it only addresses the noise. I would like to replace the other important parts while I have access to the area. So in addition to the 90 amazon kit, what specific other parts do I need?

Water pump?
Oil pump?
Main chain?

What else?

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
The problem with the TSB is that it only addresses the noise. I would like to replace the other important parts while I have access to the area. So in addition to the 90 amazon kit, what specific other parts do I need?

Water pump?
Oil pump?
Main chain?

What else?
I'd also consider main chain, with the big guides, all 3 tensioners themselves. (Not just the shoes, because if your old shoes were chewed through like most, the tensior pin has been rubbing the chain and the whole tensioner should be replaced), water pump too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 5.6 I'm building right now is getting dnj which is on rock auto, I don't know how good they are but I'll tell you in 100,000 miles lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just did this on my Frontier (identical engine). I bought the kit that is on Amazon from the dealer, except I bought a Pathfinder one because it had Prime free shipping.

The tensioner shoes on the secondary timing chains are the only worn parts that need to be replaced. The root cause are burrs on the secondary chains themselves so those get replaced too.

I went ahead and did my water pump while I was there, but otherwise everything else looked fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts