Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 80k miles on my 08 OR. My engine started making this whirring noise at slightly higher than idle RPM. The noise also changes pitch along with RPM. My first thought was that this is the noise from the timing chain guides. Is this normal or am I being paranoid?

http://youtu.be/BF7VVcFnt2U

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Hard to hear it on my phone but can you slip the belt off and start the engine for a few seconds to see if the noise is still there . This way you can find out if its in the timing chain or its belt driven (alt , idler pulley ) . I was under the assumtion that 08+ they changed timing guides due to the issue but dont hold me to it .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine also just started doing that so I replaced the belt tensioner - seems okay for now.

·
on line
250 Posts
I am at 122000 miles and have had a "whirring" sound that rises with engine RPM from when we got our X with 5 miles on the odo.

I did a search on YouTube for "Xterra engine noise" and found a whole bunch of videos including yours. I think mine sounds like the one in the link below though I am usually hearing it from inside with the doors and windows closed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZlYDxNRz0

·
on line
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am at 122000 miles and have had a "whirring" sound that rises with engine RPM from when we got our X with 5 miles on the odo.

I did a search on YouTube for "Xterra engine noise" and found a whole bunch of videos including yours. I think mine sounds like the one in the link below though I am usually hearing it from inside with the doors and windows closed.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZlYDxNRz0
Yeah, I saw that vid, and thought that it sounded the same. The guy in the comments said that it was his chain and was repaired under warranty. In my case, the whirring noise is more distinct in the cabin.

I'll try pulling the belt and starting it and see if its the tensioner.

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow because my pinion seal is leaking again (was replaced twice since May). I'll ask them to take a listen.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
on line
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Dealer confirmed its in the beginning stages of the timing chain guide failure. They also blamed my rear diff pinion seal leak on the breather extension I had installed after the stock one became packed with ice and failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts