Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and many other guys and gals on the titan forums have done a 2 degree timing advance and are quite pleased with the results (quicker throttle response, a few ponies). Has anyone done this to their xterras?

Todd

·
on line
160 Posts
I don't have it done, but how is it done? Through the cam gears???

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nissan tech hooked up is Consult II and ran through a few options until he found the option of advancing the timing. Couldn't go beyond 2 degrees because it would set out of factory specs and imso facto, voiding the warranty. I took the exact instructions that I pulled from club titan and the tech had it done in 10 minutes. Its definetely worth it. You can feel the difference..

Todd

·
on line
589 Posts
I have a 'Timing Gun' and have advanced the timing in a car before...though not the X. I had a '92 GT Mustang that I advanced, and loved the result from it but hadn't even thought about doing the X. Hrmmm....

·
on line
369 Posts
I advanced the timing 2 degrees in my '03 S/C X and picked up a couple tenths in the quarter mile, definitely adds power. All I had to do was rotate the distributor and use a timing light, very easy. I would like to know how to do this on the '05+ also.

·
on line
160 Posts
That type of distributor on an '03??? Are you serious?

·
on line
369 Posts
Yep. Worked like a charm. Just loostened the dist. bolt, turned the dist., and watched the balancer with a timing light. I have it advanced 4 degrees right now with no ill effects. Although it is really cold right now so that helps prevent pinging (remember my '03 is S/C). I'll bring it back to 2 degrees advanced for the summer.

·
on line
551 Posts
Sounds like a no charge easy mod.
Haven't touched a timing light in many years.
Do I even still have one???

·
on line
76 Posts
The VQ's timing is set at 15 degrees and in consult II there is an option of changing the timing +/- 2 degrees. It is not recommended to go beyond 17degrees. I have my maxima set at 17 and the butt dyno could feel it.

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instructions

Here's what I gave to the tech (for a titan). Took him all of 10 minutes. I've heard some dealerships will do it free and some have charged up to 150 bones.

Warm up vehicle.
On CONSULT 2 screen choose ENGINE
After communication with Convertor will display a bunch of choices.
Press WORK SUPPORT
See more choices, press TARGET IGN TIMING
Press UP x2 for 2 degrees, correction which you should be able to see.
Press UPDATE.
Now press BACK
On the menu screen find IDLE AIR VOL LEARN.
Press, and perform to correct your idle since you just raised it 75rpm with timing advance.

·
on line
61 Posts
Hmm i wonder if i can get the dealer to do this for me! I would love more pep.

·
on line
114 Posts
I was under the impression that while you can advance the timing in this manner, it will only be temporary as the computer re-adjust after a while to make sure the parameters yield the best engine/fuel economy conditions.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
2006x said:
I was under the impression that while you can advance the timing in this manner, it will only be temporary as the computer re-adjust after a while to make sure the parameters yield the best engine/fuel economy conditions.
Knowing how these computers work, I would say yes that is what will happen. That gadget they sell on e bay cheap does this to the timing also, by 'Fooling' the computer in a manner it does not revert back and thus the reason they can sell them. I looked into it once and determined you can buy that gadget and wire it in where you can flip it on and off for the extra HP when needed and off for the better fuel economy.

Trashed the whole Idea when I figure I don't need any more zip but more gas in the tank instead. MC

·
on line
61 Posts
2006x said:
True? I'm coming up on my 7,500 mile service and i was going to ask the dealer if this is something they can do for me.

·
on line
589 Posts
Is that right about the computer re-adjusting? I know when I adjusted the timing on my mustang, I just had to disconnect a computer chip and then adjust the timing. That prevented it from recognizing the change in the computer and it stuck.

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2006x said:
Again, this has been done on titans, but supposedly only reverts back to the original timing if it's advanced out of the factor specs. Many titan owners have checked and rechecked and it stayed the same. Tech told he could advance more than the 2 degrees, but it would revert back to the original. The consult II allows allows a + or - 2 degrees adjustment.

·
on line
61 Posts
sweet! I'm going to try and get the dealer to do this. I'll let you know what happens.

·
on line
369 Posts
Erick said:
Is that right about the computer re-adjusting? I know when I adjusted the timing on my mustang, I just had to disconnect a computer chip and then adjust the timing. That prevented it from recognizing the change in the computer and it stuck.
On my '03 S/C Xterra the TPS must be disconnected when adjusting the timing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts