Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I noticed some squeaking in my front brakes and had the dealership check it when I took it in for its oil change.

They said Im at 30% life on the front and 60% on the rear.

So Im looking into getting parts and from what Ive been reading, a lot of you seem to prefer EBC components but I got an email from streetsideauto.com advertising a sale on Power Stop kits. They have a few but I don't know anyone who runs the brand. They have a few kits of varying degrees and Im leaning toward the Heavy Duty Truck kit but I don't know if that's overkill.

Has anyone here run Power Stop or known someone who has that can accurately report on their quality?

Here is the link to the kits on streetsideauto.com
http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/brakes-accessories/brake-pad-and-rotor-kits/v/2008-nissan-xterra-off-road-40l/

Also, I would like to upgrade the brakes due to the larger tires so Im considering going with a kit like the ones above with better pads and rotors for the front but only upgrading the pads in the rear and leaving the rotors as is.

Is this a bad idea? Should I go with the full monty and replace all the pads and rotors or will the stock rear rotors hold up with the rest of the upgrades?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
One thing I think the xterra needs more of is braking. I don't think its overkill if you go with the heavy duty stuff. If you have extra weight in your x or plan on it I think it would be a good idea. Ive always felt that my brakes suck, even after replacing with brand new stuff. Next time I have to replace everything I may go this route as well.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
I replaced mine with POWER STOP Part # K4062 from rockauto (drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads on all 4 corners for $300) and have been very happy with them - definitely stops much better than whatever crap was on the x when i bought it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
EBC green stuff pads are awesome, but you'll have a little more dust than with the OEM pads. I ran them on my Frontier, and they were pretty good.

Also, brakes don't feel squishy because of the pads and rotors. If you want a more solid brake feel, swap to stainless braided brake lines.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
136 Posts
yeppers... EBC green stuff gets my vote.

Something else to consider. The V8 Pathfinder has the same bolt pattern as the X and has larger brake rotors. Thinking if you just replace the rotors and calipers it should give you better braking. You'd probably have to replace the rims too... prolly needs at least a 17" rim to run those

·
Registered
136 Posts
The calipers from the V8 pathfinder probably have different tabs on them from the V6/Xterra. I'm thinking swapping the calipers would do the trick.

It worked that way with my Hardbody. I took some from the V6 Hardbody that had a two piston setup and 10mm bigger rotors... swapped calipers and rotors with no problems. Mounting bolts were in the same place too.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
The calipers from the V8 pathfinder probably have different tabs on them from the V6/Xterra. I'm thinking swapping the calipers would do the trick.

It worked that way with my Hardbody. I took some from the V6 Hardbody that had a two piston setup and 10mm bigger rotors... swapped calipers and rotors with no problems. Mounting bolts were in the same place too.
I looked this up on ClubFrontier, and they have discussed this as well. Supposedly, the bolt spacing on the steering knuckles are different, so they wouldn't work. Besides, you would need bigger than 16" rims to clear the calipers.

OP, go with some good EBC pads, either greenstuff 6000 series for SUVs and light trucks, or the yellowstuff w/ kevlar. Rotors don't really matter if they're still in good condition. If you want to replace them, I'd just go with OEM in that regard. If you want aftermarket, I'd suggest just getting slotted rotors, as cheap cross drilled rotors will crack. Beware that slotted rotors will slightly decrease the life of the pads, even more so if they're constantly getting dirty. The slots will help remove the debris and gases from the pads. The EBC USR rotors would be a great combo, but not as cheap as that power stop crap. Any brake pad that comes in a box that says "extreme" I'd probably stay away from.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
BTW, I just saw that you are located at Ft. Bliss. I'm so terribly sorry. I spent numerous weeks between El Paso, Las Cruces, and White Sands MTR.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EBC green stuff pads are awesome, but you'll have a little more dust than with the OEM pads. I ran them on my Frontier, and they were pretty good.

Also, brakes don't feel squishy because of the pads and rotors. If you want a more solid brake feel, swap to stainless braided brake lines.

I have the stainless extended lines on the front with my PRG T-Swap kit

yeppers... EBC green stuff gets my vote.

Something else to consider. The V8 Pathfinder has the same bolt pattern as the X and has larger brake rotors. Thinking if you just replace the rotors and calipers it should give you better braking. You'd probably have to replace the rims too... prolly needs at least a 17" rim to run those

Now your talking way to big of a hit on the wallet. Calipers are usually expensive and bigger wheels would mean new tires and mine MTRs are almost brand new so this option is a little far fetched for me.

I don't expect to stop with a Corvette or anything but my mantra is not to replace but to upgrade. So I don't want to just order a plain set of pads and put it back on stock rotors, Id like to go with an upgrade without breaking the bank. After all, I did just order a Schrock bumper, a body lift, and have plans on Hefty sliders very soon. Hence the idea of a little better pad and some upgraded rotors for cooling purposes. It gets hot here in west TX.

Anyway, keep it coming. Im absorbing everything. Especially the experience with the Power Stop stuff.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i have the EBC green stuff put on couple years again, in general... how long do they last?
I think i put on maybe 25k since then

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thought I'd post his - it's from a BMW aftermarket company regarding brake rotors.

"For solely street use the design and characteristics particular to each rotor are not big factors in overall braking performance. For instance, a cross-drilled rotor will not significantly improve braking under street conditions. Improved stopping performance will come mostly from your brake pads. Some rotor designs perform better under racing conditions with racing pads but, generally, all rotor types can be used on the street."

"Slotting a rotor helps to release gases that build up between the rotor surface and an out-gassing brake pad. Without an escape, this thin layer of gas will cause a delay until the pad cuts through gas layer. The slots in our rotors allow the gases to escape giving better braking performance. For track and racing use, slotting is preferred over cross-drilling because the slots don't take away as much mass from the rotor and won't suffer from structural cracks. "

I've also read that drilled and slotted rotors used on the street can crack, as posted above. Our trucks are not Corvette's, and we don't race them, so a solid rotor is a lesser expensive and better choice... at least IMO.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Correct. Hell I was looking at a Corvette Z06 at the Boston auto show, and the drilled rotors all had stress cracks around all the holes. Definitely not something that I'd want to see on my rotors.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I just ordered my sliders in that Heft sale goin on and then found out my wife is pregnant again so I may have to reassess again. Maybe just go with some improved pads and keep the stock rotors for now.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Well, I just ordered my sliders in that Heft sale goin on and then found out my wife is pregnant again so I may have to reassess again. Maybe just go with some improved pads and keep the stock rotors for now.
Funny how baby clothes, food, Dr.'s, kind of take the money away from your toys. Ahhh, but kids give you something that an Xterra never can... Poop!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts