Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here's the deal, my suspension is clapped out. And when I say clapped out I mean really really clapped out. All shock tubes are leaking and I bottom out on the regular :bs:

Here's where I need everyone's help, I need to replace all this crap pretty badly so I figure I'd knock out two birds with a cinderblock and just get a full suspension kit and lift the Xterrable all together. But I have no idea what I should get :confused:

Since I do need to replace shocks and struts I figure a coilover setup would be the best bet for the front, and maybe an AAL with new shackles and shocks for the back. I can do all the work myself, but since I'm new to the Xterra scene (2 years) I don't really know what's out there.

If you have any suggestions on brands or setups that are legit, let me know!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of members on the forums bought their stuff from Nisstec and PRG. You could try looking at those sites. I'm sure someone who knows more lifts will chime in.
Thanks for the heads up!

How much over stock do you want to go?
I want to go with at least 2.5" front, and 2" in back. from what I've been reading, thats pretty much level.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Well, the PRG advanced lift is about that(half inch more on both ends). Being 7 years old you may want to look into front coil overs with ucas and a new leaf pack in the rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
find out how much your leaf springs are sagging by measuring your wheel well hieght and comparing it to the numbers in your user guide. If they are sagging a lot (and also if you are bottoming out a lot) you might want to consider replacement leaf packs because an AAL won't help for very long. There is a ton of info on replacement packs on this site.

-chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
find out how much your leaf springs are sagging by measuring your wheel well hieght and comparing it to the numbers in your user guide. If they are sagging a lot (and also if you are bottoming out a lot) you might want to consider replacement leaf packs because an AAL won't help for very long. There is a ton of info on replacement packs on this site.

-chris
Awesome good to know, I'll do that this week. Probably going order the kit and put it on next week.

·
Super Moderator
4,535 Posts
My experiences with PRG have always been good. Admittedly, Greg can't always answer the phone the first time I call (he is a one-man operation), but I have always received a return call within a reasonable time. If parts are in stock they ship very quickly. If not, it takes longer.

There are other suspension parts sources with more employees available to answer the telephone, but Greg's knowledge and willingness to answer all of my questions even when I'm still in the planning stages and not quite ready to buy has been worth the trade offs so far.

That being said, I like to support "local" merchants whenever I can. PRG is relatively close to me so I can drive there to pick up my stuff. Greg knows me, my truck, and how I use it, which has saved me time and money. If NissTec is close to you and you can establish a personal relationship, they may be the best suspension parts source for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that puts things more into perspective. Thanks for the info, I did see that Nisstec is close by so I may go with that to avoid any issues that may come up. Plus being able to pick up versus waiting and paying for shipping is always nice.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hey rawk,
I just ordered my setup from PRG after talking to Greg for a solid hour and a half. His site doesn't list half of the stuff he offers and is outdated. The best thing to do is try to get a hold of him. I would email first and call second. I called/emailed on mon/tues and got him that friday. Conversation is the best so he can assess your needs.

If you check out my build thread, under suspension, you can see what I ordered from him. Some of the stuff is not offered by Nisstec, some of it is. Personally, I went with PRG because his product, IMO, is the best offered.

That said, he told me from the get go, he is trying to get better about over-promising delivery times as he has done in the past (and admittedly earned a bad reputation for). He told me realistically on the day I ordered - you're looking at 6-8weeks, possibly more because he hadn't received a new part yet that I had asked for. He then called me the following monday and broke down what I would be getting when and approx. how many weeks it would be. I'm not in a rush to get my stuff so I basically told him, as long as I have it by June I'm happy.

TLDR; PRG is the best, call before ordering due to products and possible wait times.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think the best bang for your buck is:

Light Racing Upper Control Arms
TJM Extended Travel Coilover
1" Lift Top Plate Spacer (Optional)
Camber Bolt Kit- Full Set (Kinda Optional, probably NOT needed)

TJM Rear Gold Series Shocks
Adjustable Rear Lift Shackles
2" NissTec Rear Lift Add-A-Leafs (Optional) or OME CS061R Dakar Leaf Springs (Optional)
Rear Axle Degree Shims (Kinda Optional, probably needed)
Extended U-Bolt Kit- Xterra (Kinda Optional, probably needed)

This setup can be had for under $1k and offers an adjustable 2"-4" lift. I'm sure you could call Nisstec and get package pricing.

I think the TMJ shocks offer a great value. I've never actually run them myself, but I haven't heard anything bad and they are the only other company to offer an extended travel option. Of course you could upgrade those with Radflo if there is a little more in your budget for shock performance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts