Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Timbrens in Yesterday, Rear Only

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bbuhlman 
#1 ·
Installed some active off road bump stops yesterday to hopefully help out my sagging rear end. No test drive yet but I will be fully loaded for the Tahoe trip soon. Just a bandaid, I know....

#7 ·
Newbie here. Just joined and saw this thread. I installed Timbrens last week because my 2010 2WD model that I just inherited from my wife (sold my pick up) was sagging, swaying, and bottoming when carrying my dirt bike on a hitch carrier, and towing our family Sea Ray boat. Frankly, this may have been about the best money I have ever spent on a vehicle modification. It's like a totally different truck! It rides high and firm off road with the dirt bike on the hitch carrier, the trailer issues are gone, and I'm still running the stock shocks! The unloaded ride seems unaffected. Interestingly, my wife had to take the Xterra to work yesterday as we had not gotten a tag for her new car, and she did not notice any difference in highway ride (she has no idea what I did to the truck).

Next project will be new dampers for all 4 corners. The truck (stock height) will be used for dirt bike carrying which includes some rough dirt roads, and boat towing. I'm thinking KYB. Other suggestions?

#8 ·
Hi rpt50,
I'm also pretty new and wouldn't want to steer you wrong so I won't give you advice but there is a ton of info here on suspension. There is a sticky with a lot of info on basics and the links below talk about shocks without a lift.

#10 · (Edited)
Back from Tahoe. Before loading up I had about 1" clearance between the axle and the timbrens, loaded the axle was sitting on them. I know I need new leafs. Anyway, in the weeks before the trip the rear didn't seem too stiff with no load. I couldn't tell when I hit the stops or when they started compressing, just no more bottoming out. Driving loaded was fine although the rear was lower as expected. I think probably about 200lbs of gear.

Now for the fun part! I'm not sure if any one else knows about the fire road that is on the south side of Donner Lake but its a nice 40 or so minute climb up to the railroad tracks that you see to your right as you pass Donner Lake on 80 east. Not very rough but loose granite and some small water crossings and a few moderately steep sections. The P-4X was great, it handled everything without any trouble. This was the first time I've used the hill decent and it worked great coming down the steep sections. Never had to lock up the rear going up. Had my son and wife with me. Here are a few pictures. I'm the dude with the hat and Amtrak rolled by while we were up there.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Nissan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.