Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have searched the threads but didn't get the answer I was looking for though.

I don't plan on upgrading/lifting my X for a loooonnng time as I like to be able to fit in the garages so its more of a light wheeler to get to some places like fire roads and spends majority of its time on the pavement (60 miles/day) but I would like to find something that would make it handle better on curves. The timbrens in the rear makes a difference and was wondering if its really worth spending the dough on the front ones?

I did read about the energy suspension fronts but heard many reviews it was too stiff or just not what they were originally thought to be.

So, Timbrens up front on a stock X with Stock suspension? Good or bad idea? Why?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
You want less body roll in turns? I always felt like the xterra handled great. When my x was stock, and still today with my coilovers I don't notice very much body roll as long as I have the stock front swaybar connected. I normally remove it for offroading and then reconnect it while airing up to go back on the streets and can definetly tell a difference. Looking at the install for the front timbrens i m sure it would help but I honestly don't know if its needed for your purpose. I was looking at getting them as a cheap alternative to air bumpstops for when I catch air in the desert which seems to happen a little too often haha.

But to answer, I cant see where they would be bad, just maybe not exactly for the purpose your looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I've got the timbrens for the back and jesus...Believe the hype. Makes the ride SO much better. Can't comment on the fronts, but I have those $20 polyurethane bump stops up there. I noticed a difference in handling right away, for the better.

The only downside to timbrens is the crazy price tag. I got my rear ones slightly used, and keep hoping to find a set of fronts cheap...but hasn't happened yet.

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run these 'helpers' on the front coil and like them very much.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64510
Interesting....never really heard of this one til now. May have to look into it but my concern is won't they slide out at some point....granted its ziptied but they can fail over time.

I've got the timbrens for the back and jesus...Believe the hype. Makes the ride SO much better. Can't comment on the fronts, but I have those $20 polyurethane bump stops up there. I noticed a difference in handling right away, for the better.

The only downside to timbrens is the crazy price tag. I got my rear ones slightly used, and keep hoping to find a set of fronts cheap...but hasn't happened yet.
Yeah, I got a gift card from Amazon, so I'd be paying like half for it though. I just would hate to pay if its not worth it or makes the ride much stiffer.

·
on line
2,069 Posts
have you upgraded your tires yet? When I replaced the factory ones with meatier side walls it definitely handled better on the On-Off Ramps.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Interesting....never really heard of this one til now. May have to look into it but my concern is won't they slide out at some point....granted its ziptied but they can fail over time.
This thread has gotten pretty funny. But to the OP's question...

On the SumoCoils, it would be pretty hard for them to fall out. They are jammed in their quite well and that's with the weight of the vehicle jacked up during the install. Once you let the weight down, and the spring compresses, they really sit in their. The zip ties are a secondary measure. But as I mentioned I have yet to truly run them through harsh winters and see how they hold up (been 3 months on the truck in the summer). Though I have been assured from the SuperSprings guys they will. And they talked about the police department SUVs and heavy tractor trailer fleets they support, so I gotta think it would last.

SuperSprings also makes a product that's similar to timbrens called the SuperSway stop: http://www.supersprings.com/superswaystops_overview.asp (Also there's an interesting write up on airbags there too.)

Mike at SuperSprings told me that the SuperSway can and is used on the front suspension as well. He recommended I start with the SuperCoils though, as those are better for handling and the SuperSways are meant for bottoming out (a problem I didn't really have in the front). Though he did say they can be used in conduction and that if I found the SumoCoil setup lacking that I could add the SuperSway progressive bumpstops. If you'd like to check that out let me know and I can forward you Mike's info.

Lastly, I don't think you'll do bad with any of these products, including the Timbrens. Even though bumpstops are more meant for bottoming out, the fact that they are so large means you are basically riding on them and they do have a handling benifit. There's also a great video on here (somewhere) of an Xterra off roading and STUFFING the front. I believe he had timbrens. Would have been a nasty bottom out otherwise.

·
TNX Administrator
20,205 Posts
Clean thread of posts not on subject.....

So, are Timbrens up front on a stock X with Stock suspension? Good or bad idea? Why?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts