Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody has used the Timbren bumpstop with 285 Tires ? If so, any rubbing in the rear due to increased flex ? Thanks. I posted same question on the Xterra owner forum but got no answer, so I'm assuming no one has same combination on that forum .

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Umm, the bump stops themselves will not increase your flex. As a matter of a fact, on a stock suspension I bet they would limit the flex more than the stock bump stops.

However, yes, if you increase your flex in the rear (AAL or Shackles), 285/75R16 tires will rub on the frame with stock wheels at full stuff. It's not bad rubbing and I have been living with it for over a year and a half without a problem.

·
on line
735 Posts
I'll be finding out soon since I can't find any takers on trading my 285's for take-off 265's. got a set stacked in my garage..I guess it beats paying more than $700 for the correct size, but...

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muzikman said:
Umm, the bump stops themselves will not increase your flex. As a matter of a fact, on a stock suspension I bet they would limit the flex more than the stock bump stops.

Thanks for quick answer so if they limit flex more than stock, how can they eliminate the bottoming, i m getting a little confused.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I'll trade you my stock Rugged Trails in the 265 variety with around 18K miles for what ever 285's you got. :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
zeiter said:
Muzikman said:

Thanks for quick answer so if they limit flex more than stock, how can they eliminate the bottoming, i m getting a little confused.
They are longer than your stock bump stops, but instead of being a solid piece of rubber that your axle bangs against (bottoming out), think of them as a rubber spring. They dampen through out the axle travel so there is no "slam".

Just curious, have you seen a picture of them installed?

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw a picture on the xterra owner forum and understand the principle. I was thinking when they compress they would be smaller than stock and that is why I was worried about rubbing, if they do not compress more than I do not see why they would rub, you re right.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, I do not know 100% that they do not compress further than the stock stops, but I seriously doubt it as the stock stops are pretty short and the timbren's have a metal mount that would take up space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts