Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get a speeding ticket in VA before and familiar with their proceedings. I don't give a **** about the fine...but I can't have the points on the license because it's going to hinder me in applying for the police departments I intend to in March. Might even have to go big and hire a lawyer. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
my advice, from my experience in ny, is to lawyer up, traffic lawyers usually aren't to expensive...but then again I never had to use for serious charges, only minor traffic infractions ( speeding ticket, rolling through a stop sign). But while on the topic, any1 know if out if state tickets ( let say...in Missouri), will add points to ur Ny license?

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Flat out man. Eat the the fine! When it comes to the PD interviews, own it. You f**ked up and suffer the consequence, and that's what you say in the oral board. My driving record is full of tickets for speeding and all kinds o MV infractions. Tell the truth own your past admit fault and learn from it. That's what they care about. As long as you don't have an Drunk driving or domestic or criminal sh*t you're good.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
115 Posts
Flat out man. Eat the the fine! When it comes to the PD interviews, own it. You f**ked up and suffer the consequence, and that's what you say in the oral board. My driving record is full of tickets for speeding and all kinds o MV infractions. Tell the truth own your past admit fault and learn from it. That's what they care about. As long as you don't have an Drunk driving or domestic or criminal sh*t you're good.
Posted via Mobile Device
This...x2. Biggest reason someone ends up disqualified is because they were trying to hide something. Now, if it demonstrates a pattern of behavior, they may care a bit more.

....I'd advise you NOT get any tickets or pulled over for ANYTHING though while you're in recruit school ;)

·
on line
22,508 Posts
This...x2. Biggest reason someone ends up disqualified is because they were trying to hide something. Now, if it demonstrates a pattern of behavior, they may care a bit more.

....I'd advise you NOT get any tickets or pulled over for ANYTHING though while you're in recruit school ;)
Best bet way to avoid speeding tickets, is to not speed. ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The speeding laws in this state confuse and anger me. I was going 16 over the speed limit in a pack of cars. I wasn't even paying any attention honestly. That put me at 81 mph in a 65 mph....which apparently to VA is reckless driving....which get this....is a class 1 misdemeanor. A DUI is a class 1 misdemeanor. The EMT in me who has responded to so many DUI crashed is a little upset that we're basically saying in this state...hey DUI is ok....its as bad as speeding. No biggie. That bothers me TBQH. I think I was cut a break by the cop and I just have a general speeding ticket...but I don't know. It's my first ever ticket. I don't understand any of it. PA wouldn't have even given this a glance...it would have been barely a speeding ticket....in case you don't know my license/plates/taxes are all in PA. So Monday I'm off to see an attorney.

·
Registered
52 Posts
VA doesn't report to PA for speeding tickets. The points against your license for speeding would stay in VA. I have had many speeding tickets here in VA. But as far as PA is concerned....I have no driving infractions. But I have heard some states are giving the option now when renewing your license to get a "govn't" license. And by 2017 the United States as a whole will recognize and issue these licenses. So by then....doesn't matter what state your in...you will have any points you earn flag you on their system if pulled over. :dontknow:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott, you might just be a life saver.

I still need to ask the attorney to ensure this doesn't translate to "reckless driving" but if it doesn't it'll just amout to a $96 ticket. Since I was above 80 it's a 6 point moving vilolation but since PA doesn't seem to care anyways I don't think my insurance will go up or will it ever show up in my driver history. Luckily I think I can get all this done during my "free consult". If there's no point in me hiring him I doubt he'll bother with it.

I might just be ok here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeh you'll be alright as long as it isn't translated to wreckless driving. If it is...then it would be reported under the Drivers License Compact as per the link I shared. Best bet for something like this seeing as though how close the ticket is written to wreckless. I would go to court and just be very nice and own up to making a boo boo and just say you were going with the flow of traffic and at that point took your eyes off your speedometer and just happen to be the lucky one to be pulled over by the very nice police officer. 9 times out of 10 just showing up to court and the judge seeing you face to face seeing you know you did wrong...they'll drop it down even lower or completely disregard the ticket and remind you to be safe and slow down. :D

·
on line
3,647 Posts
.....I'd advise you NOT get any tickets or pulled over for ANYTHING though while you're in recruit school ;)
Oh god that brings back awful memories. I got stopped for failure to dim (aka my high beams were on). I blew myself in to the Head instructor right away (happened in the afternoon on a Sunday). That was the longest most miserable week of my life!!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Oh god that brings back awful memories. I got stopped for failure to dim (aka my high beams were on). I blew myself in to the Head instructor right away (happened in the afternoon on a Sunday). That was the longest most miserable week of my life!!!
Makes me think when a chick has her "high beams" on......
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
A PD shouldn't disqualify you because of a speeding ticket. Everyone speeds. If they dismiss your application because of a traffic citation, something so petty, I'm not sure if I would want to be employed there. Just my .2 :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doesn't matter now. This has prompted me to start researching college again. I earned that GI Bill....might as well use the GI Bill. Don't know what I'll do now but I got about a year to figure it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I kinda wish I saw this sooner.. For my first speeding ticket, prior to going to court I went and took a driver improvement course (weekend class for about $50). Then in the week of the court day I went to the DMV and asked for a copy of my driver record. At court when the judge asked me to stand before him and asked how I pleaded, I said I pleaded guilty to the speeding. He then asked what I had in my hand and I gave it to him. He saw that I took the course and that I had a clean record prior to this ticket and waived the whole thing. I didn't pay a fine, didn't pay court fees, nothing. So no points taken from my license, yet because of the course I actually had points added! So now I'm in the positive!!! Haha

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
you where doing 81 in a X?

and for your inteviews , tell the truth. if you did drugs etc. just tell them. they wont care and respect your honesty.
Never self incriminate...never. Any good lawyer will be able to get you out of a situation if there is no direct link between you and the illegal drugs. NEVER SELF INCRIMINATE...EVER. They don't respect your honesty at all. I've had several cops who have told him if the person just said, no I don't have any drugs, then they would have had no reason to search their car and arrest them. Just say, no sir, I do not have any drugs/alcohol/guns, whatever.

Sn0

·
on line
616 Posts
Anyone get a speeding ticket in VA before and familiar with their proceedings. I don't give a **** about the fine...but I can't have the points on the license because it's going to hinder me in applying for the police departments I intend to in March. Might even have to go big and hire a lawyer. Anyone have any thoughts?
I doubt you will get away with no points. If you lawyer up, then, depending on your driving record and the locality, you may be able to avoid the reckless driving charge.

It also depends on how much over the speed limit you were going. The law is 20 over or over 80mph is reckless driving. There are also procedural differences from court to court and you may be more limited in discussing things with the prosecutor than your local neighborhood lawyer. A local lawyer makes all the difference. He'll know the troopers and prosecutor and they do this all the time.

Usually what happens with a lawyer known to the court, is that the lawyer will speak with the prosecutor just before the time you are to appear, and, if your driving record was good and the cop doesn't remember anything negative about the encounter, the speed will be reduced and you will end up with simple speeding and court costs.

I would not risk the misdemeanor conviction. It stays on your record for 11 years.

If you can plead it down, a lawyer could cost $300-$500 and the ticket and court costs are usually less than $200.

Reckless driving could be up to $2500 and a lengthy license suspension, although it rarely gets anywhere near that. Expect a fine of about $350 dollars if you are convicted of reckless driving.

Old Army

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I doubt you will get away with no points. If you lawyer up, then, depending on your driving record and the locality, you may be able to avoid the reckless driving charge.

It also depends on how much over the speed limit you were going. The law is 20 over or over 80mph is reckless driving. There are also procedural differences from court to court and you may be more limited in discussing things with the prosecutor than your local neighborhood lawyer. A local lawyer makes all the difference. He'll know the troopers and prosecutor and they do this all the time.

Usually what happens with a lawyer known to the court, is that the lawyer will speak with the prosecutor just before the time you are to appear, and, if your driving record was good and the cop doesn't remember anything negative about the encounter, the speed will be reduced and you will end up with simple speeding and court costs.

I would not risk the misdemeanor conviction. It stays on your record for 11 years.

If you can plead it down, a lawyer could cost $300-$500 and the ticket and court costs are usually less than $200.

Reckless driving could be up to $2500 and a lengthy license suspension, although it rarely gets anywhere near that. Expect a fine of about $350 dollars if you are convicted of reckless driving.

Old Army
It's not reckless driving. It was over 80 mph but it's at the officers discretion whether to charge it or not. I joined a fire department recently and had a one on one chat with a VSP trooper about it. The statute listed is just general speeding. As bloodvayne has said...the points wont go on a PA license anyways. So I'm just going to pay it and move on. It's not a concern.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts