Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to take the dog and randomly camp somewhere on off highway 88 with the dog then wake up early and do some back county skiing out at carson pass.

Any one is welcome to join.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Curious.... how does one with a dog go skiing? Do they even make skiis for dogs or does he just run really fast in the snow to keep up with you?

Non-dog owner checking in lol

·
on line
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious.... how does one with a dog go skiing? Do they even make skiis for dogs or does he just run really fast in the snow to keep up with you?

Non-dog owner checking in lol
he just chases after me when I go. up the up hills he usually is right there with me and on the downhills he chases after me

·
on line
4,593 Posts
None of the campgrounds in that area are open:

http://www.carsonpass.com/winter/current_conditions.html

Silver Lake is probably closest to the highway and may be accessible.

I'd bet they just got a ton of snow in the back country.
Might be difficult to even get back in there somewhere.

However, I applaud your efforts and if I didn't have previous plans I'd be right there with you. Except the skiing part of it anyway.

Have fun, be safe!

·
on line
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
None of the campgrounds in that area are open:

http://www.carsonpass.com/winter/current_conditions.html

Silver Lake is probably closest to the highway and may be accessible.

I'd bet they just got a ton of snow in the back country.

Might be difficult to even get back in there somewhere.

However, I applaud your efforts and if I didn't have previous plans I'd be right there with you. Except the skiing part of it anyway.

Have fun, be safe!
I'm bit too worry. I still work for the forest service for another months and have insiders access. And it helps to know the area pretty well. The 88 side is where I've worked the past 2 years I know some decent areas
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I was in the Fallen Leaf Lake area two weeks ago and really liked it there. Although we didn't ski there but instead snowshoed around the lake.

Just drive in towards the back and park your rig to the side and hike in. Not sure about camping around the lake but for sure you can do some snowshoeing and a little exploring around the lake. Super serene and relaxing.

Whatever you decide.. have fun and be safe! :wave:

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I still work for the forest service for another months and have insiders access.
Cool!

Um, can I borrow your keys for an hour?
:D

It's great that you know the area well; we definitely need to get another run together ... soon.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Cool!

Um, can I borrow your keys for an hour?
:D

It's great that you know the area well; we definitely need to get another run together ... soon.
I have so many trails and camp grounds way-pointed. I cant wait till they all open up. I also would like to explore the Rubicon, the relatively easy parts of course.

·
Registered
17 Posts
People use campgrounds?! I like to get as far away from people as possible. Wheel till you find a perfect spot to camp......... Maybe Im just cheap

·
on line
4,593 Posts
People use campgrounds?! I like to get as far away from people as possible. Wheel till you find a perfect spot to camp......... Maybe Im just cheap
Yes, sometimes.
The Sierra Mountains are very open with more trails than you can imagine.
Plenty of dispersed camping.

However, in winter, knowing whether or not campgrounds are open is a good indication of accessibility to the area via motorized vehicle.

·
on line
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i went camped, got dunk with the dog, skied hung over the next day

1 - 20 of 25 Posts