Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 SE with 78K - 285/70/17's, no lift

Hey guys (and gals), spent some time on the beach today. on the drive home, i noticed a repetitive thumping noise whenever i turn to the right. either a hard or a soft turn. and it speeds up or slows down with the speed of the truck. it does not happen while turning left, only to the right. this was not happening before hitting the sand today, only after. I put it back into 4 hi for a few seconds while driving, just to make sure it wasn't still in 4hi, and then back to 2wd. nothing changed.

i have done some searches, bad cv's or bearings come up. havn't been able to put it on the jack yet to look for any play in the wheel..

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I get a "thumping" when reversing and turning... mine is my tires, 265's with no lift and procomp wheels rubbing the inner fender and the thumping is the lugs of the tire hitting the plastic liner. With a 285 tire and no lift I bet your rubbing somewere in there when you turn.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats a different kind of rubbing from the tires at full lock, but this is not that. CV is my thought as well

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Probably not your issue but I had the exact same symptoms on broken lower ball joint. have broken 2 Lower ball joints (where the spindle attaches to the LCA). Hard to do without heavy wheeling but possible.. I know Toyatas are susceptible to this and saw a guy in GMC pickup (obvious wheeler) side of the road with the same thing very recently.
I only mention it because it can be catastrophic if it finally gives way at speed and definitely disables the X right where she stops..
So, just keep checking to figure it out..

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when i'm turning a corner, very slowly, you don't hear it, but while moving over 10-15 mph, thats when you hear it. tomorrow i'll be able to put it up on the jack and try to move the tire around and see what i get. I still have an extended warranty, ( which has paid for it self 4 fold now!!) but i just need to find a few days i can drop it off for. and then try to convince them that the other side is doing it as well so they can replace it also (as preventative measures).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thumping noise

when i'm turning a corner, very slowly, you don't hear it, but while moving over 10-15 mph, thats when you hear it. tomorrow i'll be able to put it up on the jack and try to move the tire around and see what i get. I still have an extended warranty, ( which has paid for it self 4 fold now!!) but i just need to find a few days i can drop it off for. and then try to convince them that the other side is doing it as well so they can replace it also (as preventative measures).
Did you figure out what it was? Mine is doing the same. Replaced all four tires and now it sounds worse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bumping this thread, because I've developed something very similar. Thumping noise in the front end, speeds up and slows down with vehicle speed. No difference in 4wd or 2wd. No obvious loose U-joints or axle.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bumping this thread, because I've developed something very similar. Thumping noise in the front end, speeds up and slows down with vehicle speed. No difference in 4wd or 2wd. No obvious loose U-joints or axle.
My wifes just started doing this on Friday. I jacked up the driver side just under the lower control arm and found play in the wheel by rocking the wheel top to bottom once the wheel was off of the ground. Hers has no left to right play so I'm ordering new wheel bearing/hub assemblies in hopes that addresses the issue. I could not find any other signs that would cause the knocking/thumping noise. Hers doesn't do it all of the time but has done it a few times since this past friday. I'm open to others input as well, but for now I'm planning on replacing the wheel hub assemblies this coming weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wifes just started doing this on Friday. I jacked up the driver side just under the lower control arm and found play in the wheel by rocking the wheel top to bottom once the wheel was off of the ground. Hers has no left to right play so I'm ordering new wheel bearing/hub assemblies in hopes that addresses the issue. I could not find any other signs that would cause the knocking/thumping noise. Hers doesn't do it all of the time but has done it a few times since this past friday. I'm open to others input as well, but for now I'm planning on replacing the wheel hub assemblies this coming weekend.
Jacked it up yesterday, and we had no play in the wheels. No rocking up/down or back/front. That was one of our first thoughts. Also, no whine or buzzing like I'd expect from bearings. I don't have a day off for a few days, so I'm really hoping it doesn't grenade itself before then.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jacked it up yesterday, and we had no play in the wheels. No rocking up/down or back/front. That was one of our first thoughts. Also, no whine or buzzing like I'd expect from bearings. I don't have a day off for a few days, so I'm really hoping it doesn't grenade itself before then.
Let us know what you find when you get a chance to look further. My wifes parts should be here tomorrow but I probably wont get to work on it until Friday or Saturday. I'm hoping her situation doesn't get worse as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let us know what you find when you get a chance to look further. My wifes parts should be here tomorrow but I probably wont get to work on it until Friday or Saturday. I'm hoping her situation doesn't get worse as well.
So, got word from the shop, and it was about as easy as it gets. Turns out the lug nuts on my front left tire were all loose and one of the studs was broken. I have no idea if they had worked loose, or if when I switched to the winter tires that I had forgotten to torque down that wheel. It was $5 for the part and $50 labor.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So, got word from the shop, and it was about as easy as it gets. Turns out the lug nuts on my front left tire were all loose and one of the studs was broken. I have no idea if they had worked loose, or if when I switched to the winter tires that I had forgotten to torque down that wheel. It was $5 for the part and $50 labor.
Wow, that is an easy one! My wifes driver side hub assemble grenaded yesterday, so I had it towed home and swapped both hubs in just about 3 hours. I was suprised how simple the job was and pretty impressed with how well this truck has held up. I purchased it new in 2006 and haven't had very many issues to speak of. Glad yours was more simple than mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts