Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am starting to think about throwing in the towel on the X. The truck is a 2006 X 4x4, with 119,000 miles on it. At this point I am looking at some rather large repair bills: new CAT's (PO430), timing chain repair, radiator (bypass was done), springs, alignment, and tires.
The plus side of my X is that the body is in excellent shape, but it needs so much.
So what does the collective knowledge of the forum think? Is it worth it anymore? It looks like the trade in value is about $5,000, which I would be very happy with.

Zack

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What are the repair/maintenance costs? I know the timing chain is roughly $1400, tires another $1000, leafs $600 (depends on who you go with), $3K at this point so it might come out to be a wash in the end. Would you be ok with a new car payment (assuming the X is paid off etc)? It all depends what you are looking for down the road.

If you decide to go with a new car you are walking into an unknown situation in terms of maintenance, car history, etc.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The way I look at it is a radiator is a cheap, easy repair. If you use aftermarket cats, that will bring the cost down considerably. The timing chain is fairly expensive. Any aspirations of lifting it? Now would be the perfect time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
3K in repairs are what, 6 months of car payments.

Plus with older insurance is cheaper, tax and title are cheaper.

If you do decide to part with it, you more than likely can get more than 5 selling it yourself, and will get a better deal on the new one with no trade. So if you do decide to bail consider that - it will mean at least a couple thousand extra in your pocket.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put new Bilstein's all around, new brakes/rotors, and drive belt/tensioner in the spring. It is just starting to get to the point of good money after bad.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
I know how you feel I have 145k miles on my X. This weekend alone I did new front shocks, upper control arms, sway bar bushings, and a new clutch. Now I have to have lower ball joints done. In the last 6 months I also had to put in new rear springs (one actually broke) and rear shocks, and replaced my rusted ass bumper. I have had a decent amount of repairs and maintenance on my x over my 5 years of ownership but I do almost all of the work myself (clutch was first job I had an actual mechanic do). It can be extremely frustrating but in the end I haven't had a car payment in over 2 years and these costs are WAYYYYY less than a car payment. And just think after those repairs you should be smooth sailing for a while.

After my last round of repairs I spent equivalent to only 3 months of payments. Like my father always said "you can make payments or pay for repairs". I choose repairs, for now.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Besides the chain which could be a sign of questionable maintenance, that all looks like maintenance to me. If you want a new ride and the expense, sell the x. If not, make it run another 100k. But then again if it wasn't maintained very well, you might not want to gamble.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Personally I have found that the pricy repairs start after about 8 years. I would trade in the 06 and get a '14 S model if you want another X. I dont think I would put $3k of repairs into a $5k car

Hi everyone,
I am starting to think about throwing in the towel on the X. The truck is a 2006 X 4x4, with 119,000 miles on it. At this point I am looking at some rather large repair bills: new CAT's (PO430), timing chain repair, radiator (bypass was done), springs, alignment, and tires.
The plus side of my X is that the body is in excellent shape, but it needs so much.
So what does the collective knowledge of the forum think? Is it worth it anymore? It looks like the trade in value is about $5,000, which I would be very happy with.

Zack

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Gotta remember though, you're looking at around 3K in TT&L for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The timing chain issue sucks but the rest of that is maintenance IMHO. Since a shop is most likely to do the timing chain for you have them do the rad at the same time. Since they already have the front end ripped apart they might not charge labor.

I understand why you are thinking about the new car but I would wait.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else has said. I'm usually the guy on this board running numbers for people that want to trade in the X (either for age or something that gets better milage.)

I am also an advocate of having no car payment. It really is great, but there's certainly added work, in the form of maintainence and repairs.

The only thing I would add - is the cost and quality of your time. Both time you would take to maintain the X and time the X is out of service (planned vs. un-planned).

Eventually there's a tipping point and that point is different for everyone. For me, its when I worry that a car may leave me stranded. I had a '98 Jeep that I bought 2nd hand @ 110k with a questionable early life (it was cheap). I threw in the towel at 160k - as it had left me stranded multiple times and was not a reliable form of transportation. (I figured I had a motorcycle in a pinch, yeah try riding in Feb in CT. I did, it sucks.) But I got 50k out of it and 3 years for a cost of $3,000 (purchase price + repairs - sale of it). Certainly better than 3 years of car payments, so it wasn't all bad.

Personally, if you've owned this 2006 for the majority of its life (so you know how its been driven and treated) I would keep it. At least for a few more years. At 119k there's still plenty of servicable life in the X and its not so old / high milage that you'd worry much about it stranding you.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Maybe hook up with some of the members in your area for a maintenance day to cut down on labor cost and if possible, get good used parts for more savings?

·
on line
3,647 Posts
Look in your local area, you can find a decent set of leaf pack off of someone who did a full pack replacement, the radiator is pretty easy. I would leave the Timing Chain to a shop and obviously you have the alignment done by a shop. As for the tires thats a normal wear and tear item. Find a tire retailer that offers a free alignment when you buy four new tires.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
So it needs a bunch of maint. You can either do it and have a car good for another 100K for $3000. Or you can plop down $30K and be in a similar boat in 100K.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Sometimes you can't leverage the value of the car. You have to leverage how reliable it is and what it would cost to replace it. $3000 and you are probably good for at least another 50K. You might have some minor things, oil leak, alt etc. Or you can spend 30K to replace it. It's all relative to you and your needs.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Get the tool box and get to work, ask for help or go to your mechanic but dont go with a new vehicle, unless the X is no longer fitting your needs abd you need other type of vehicle

1 - 20 of 32 Posts