Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
on line
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators, not sure if this should have been posted in the off-topic forum. If so, my apologies and please feel free to move.

I was wondering if any one had any thoughts of whether or not the purchase of an extended warranty is worth it. One of my good friends is the head Nissan Rep at the dealership where I purchased my X. He as quoted me $1,200 for a 5 year (from inservice date) 75,000 mile $0 deductivale coverage or $1,700 for a 72 mo/100,000 mile coverage. I believe those may be "friend" prices but I am not sure. He did say that I do not need to worry about the sales tax.

Do you guys think extended warranties are worth the cash? My last car (Sentra SE-R SpecV) had an engine issue (very long story) that required a new engine (block, head, etc.) at around 75,000. If not for my extended warranty I would have been SOL.

Thanks for your thoughts. By the way, I am at 35,500 right now so need to make a decision within the next week or so.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I bought mine and and have already made up for the value in it and I've only got 38k miles.

·
on line
432 Posts
I got the 75,000. Main reason was I knew I was going to put some serious miles on it quickly so the 30,000 wouldn't last long. I'm already at 5800 at 3 months.

I have no doubt it will pay for itself the first time something strange happens.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
XVTer said:
I got the 100k for piece of mind. Call me crazy, but I think it's worth the money.
x2

·
on line
280 Posts
Warranties are negotiable too. I paid $995 for the Nissan 100,000 mile/5 year warranty, which covers most everything except routine maintenance. To me it's worth the piece of mind, just in case.

·
on line
279 Posts
Here's a question I have about extended warranties....

I think most of us buy them, at least in part, to cover potential driveline problems (diffs, clutches, etc - you know, the expensive stuff).

So if I have the standard warranty, and grenade a diff within the standard coverage time, Nissan may or may not cover it, since it's at their discretion. If I get a 100k mile warranty, and grenade a diff at 80k, isn't it still at Nissan's discretion whether they will or will not cover it? If so, should Nissan choose to deny coverage, I'd feel like I wasted my money. Is there an 'its-covered-no-matter-what-unless-you-blatantly-abused-it' clause? If you get the extended warranty from someone else besides Nissan, how is decided then whether or not coverage for items like this is denied?

It seems to me like a safer bet may be to use a third-party extended warranty, and you may be able to get better coverage that way. Unless, of course, they turn to the Nissan dealer to decide whether the claim should be accepted or denied.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I bought one (75K, 5yr bumper to bumper) in hopes of them covering a diff if it blew up. Whether they would cover it or not remains to be determined (they said they would), but the extra $1200 seemed worth it when I was already spending 20x that much for the new X anyway. Piece of mind for me...

·
on line
1,667 Posts
i got the 100,000 mile and it has already proved its worth. i opped for the tire warranty (good salesman) and take all my flat tires there.

·
on line
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guit Fiddle said:
If I get a 100k mile warranty, and grenade a diff at 80k, isn't it still at Nissan's discretion whether they will or will not cover it? If so, should Nissan choose to deny coverage, I'd feel like I wasted my money.
Thanks to everyone who has chimmed in with their opinions on this. When I first posted the quesiton I was already leaning towards getting the extended warranty based on my experience with my previouse car (more to come), my only real hang up at the moment is money is tight and I wanted to see if others thought it was worth it.

The following is a brief summary of what I learned through my experience on the extended warranty with my Sentra and the warranty covering a whole new engine. I will try to make a long story as short as possible.

I purchased the 75K extended warranty when I bought the car brand new. The car had always been serviced at an authorized Nissan dealership (oil changes, 30K check-ups etc.). Around 77K we found out that the rings had gone bad causing some significant engine damage. Though I was 2K over the warranty I "argued/negotiated" with the regional Nissan rep stating that my rings just don't go bad overnight and it was probably a problem that has existed for a while (before I reached the 75K warranty mark). Anyways, because I had always had the routine maintanance performed at an authorized dealership they stated I had done everything I could to maintaine the vehicle and agreed to cover everything under warranty.

What I learned:
1) Pays to have trackable routine maintanance performed by an authorized dealer
2) Dealerships are typically willing to warrantly anything so long as "Nissan" will aprove it. The dealership gets paid for the parts and labor they warranty from Nissan. (this is why I had to convince the Regonial Rep and not just my local dealer). If your having trouble with a warranty issue ask your dealer for the name and number of their Nissan rep so you can talk to him/her.

I dont' know if the above is of any use to anyone but I thought I would share my experiences.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
cjm_specv said:
Moderators, not sure if this should have been posted in the off-topic forum. If so, my apologies and please feel free to move.

I was wondering if any one had any thoughts of whether or not the purchase of an extended warranty is worth it. One of my good friends is the head Nissan Rep at the dealership where I purchased my X. He as quoted me $1,200 for a 5 year (from inservice date) 75,000 mile $0 deductivale coverage or $1,700 for a 72 mo/100,000 mile coverage. I believe those may be "friend" prices but I am not sure. He did say that I do not need to worry about the sales tax.

Do you guys think extended warranties are worth the cash? My last car (Sentra SE-R SpecV) had an engine issue (very long story) that required a new engine (block, head, etc.) at around 75,000. If not for my extended warranty I would have been SOL.

Thanks for your thoughts. By the way, I am at 35,500 right now so need to make a decision within the next week or so.
I sell extended warranties at work. Normally i recommend them if you plan on keeping the vehicle for more than the factory warranty and you don't plan on modding too much. now, if you have a mild lift and your air conditioner goes out, they are definitely going to cover it. but if it is a diff and you have a 5" lift w/ 35's on it, no way that's going to happen.

the prices they quoted you are average for a dealership. the friend discount i think would be lower than that. those prices seem pretty on par for a vehicle w/ 35K miles. BTW, the prices go UP every 12k miles on the car. so if you are going to buy one, buy it before you hit 12, 24, or 36K.

as for the terms, go w/ the $0 ded. also, you didn't say how many miles you drive in a year. They can custom build terms so they fit your driving style. if you drive 15k/yr, you are going to hit 100K in about 4 years. ask for a 48/100k warranty. if you drive about 12k/yr, you will hit 100k in 5yrs, etc, etc...a 60/100k for that truck should be around $1600 from a dealership w/ about $600 markup. maybe the friend discount can get it a little lower.

good luck!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Deltaphi216 said:
I sell extended warranties at work. Normally i recommend them if you plan on keeping the vehicle for more than the factory warranty and you don't plan on modding too much. now, if you have a mild lift and your air conditioner goes out, they are definitely going to cover it. but if it is a diff and you have a 5" lift w/ 35's on it, no way that's going to happen.
Now just because you put a lift and tires on your rig doesn't mean you abuse your vehicle. Warranty should be based on whether or not the failure is due to a defective part or not.

That's the problem people have with car companies. They want to make blanket statements about denying warranties and not really investigate what happened.

Do you work at a dealership? If so, which one? I'll make sure not to go there.

I'm sorry to be harsh and I'm sure on an individual level you're probably a nice guy but you obviously been trained in the "dealer fu$k all" mentality.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
I bought an extended warranty through an outside company. It cost me ~$1,200 and it covers me up to 100k miles or 7 years from vehicle purchase date. The way I drive I will reach that 100k in another year and a half (3 1/2 years total ownership)! I already learned a lesson, you HAVE to get wherever is doing your repairs to call it in to the warranty people BEFORE they do ANY work. I thought I was getting reimbursed (-$50 deductible) when my u-joints went...not so much, cost me ~$300 w/ parts and labor.

It's worth it in my opinion, especially since they know about all my mods and will cover me as long as I stay under 6" of lift!

·
on line
1,695 Posts
dezurtrat said:
Deltaphi216 said:
Now just because you put a lift and tires on your rig doesn't mean you abuse your vehicle. Warranty should be based on whether or not the failure is due to a defective part or not.

That's the problem people have with car companies. They want to make blanket statements about denying warranties and not really investigate what happened.

I'm sorry to be harsh and I'm sure on an individual level you're probably a nice guy but you obviously been trained in the "dealer fu$k all" mentality.
Bigger tires put more strain on parts, period. Good luck getting anyone to cover a blown diff if you are running 35's. Yes, it is a well known fact that are diffs are weak with stock tires, but it is not the responsibility of the dealer to honor a warranty with bigger tires that cause more wear and potentially break more stuff. There has to be a black and white line somewhere. Should they have to cover breakage with 40" tires, too?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
dezurtrat said:
Deltaphi216 said:

actually, I don't work for a dealership. I technically work for a bank. We just sell warranties along w/ car loan refinancing. Also, I am not saying 100% that the warranty company is going to deny the claim, but, if the dealership calls for approval and says that the vehicle has a large lift and suspension problems, it doesn't take them long to decline it. They do still have to prove that the part caused the problem. Most extended (NOT FACTORY) warranties have a clause in them that customization will void the warranty. Remember, a FACTORY warranty and EXTENDED warranty are 2 TOTALLY different things.

Finally, i have not been trained in "dealer fu$k all" mentality. I actually help people get out of the sh!tty deals that they get FROM the dealerships. My company is listed w/ the better business bureau and has only 3 issues over the past 3 years. All 3 have been settled. How many dealerships can say anything close to that? we have been in business for over 10 years and refi a little over 1000 loans a month.

sorry to vent, but this is a subject that people get VERY heated over very quickly. I get lumped in w/ dealers when people get angry.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Yes, warranties go up in price as you put more miles on the vehicle. I bought my 5yr, 100K "Gold" warranty through Nissan at 35K miles for $1850 - no tax. I really agonized over my decision as to whether I needed it or not.

At 40K miles, my rear diff failed. This was covered by Nissan. All I had to pay was the $50 deductible. I am so happy that I bought my extended warranty. I definitely recommend purchasing the extended warranty.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: You're probably right in a lot of cases, but the basic warranty covers the powertrain for 60 mo/60 thousand miles !!!!

AZ-Ted said:
Yes, warranties go up in price as you put more miles on the vehicle. I bought my 5yr, 100K "Gold" warranty through Nissan at 35K miles for $1850 - no tax. I really agonized over my decision as to whether I needed it or not.

At 40K miles, my rear diff failed. This was covered by Nissan. All I had to pay was the $50 deductible. I am so happy that I bought my extended warranty. I definitely recommend purchasing the extended warranty.
-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,479 Posts
RockyMtnX said:
Bigger tires put more strain on parts, period. Good luck getting anyone to cover a blown diff if you are running 35's. Yes, it is a well known fact that are diffs are weak with stock tires, but it is not the responsibility of the dealer to honor a warranty with bigger tires that cause more wear and potentially break more stuff. There has to be a black and white line somewhere. Should they have to cover breakage with 40" tires, too?
First off, the dealer doesn't cover it Nissan does. And yes, Nissan should cover any warranty failure due to a defective part they put in. Period. So sorry RockyMtnX, I'm just venting right now. Just ignore me. When I get my X fixed I'll play nice again. :)

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Deltaphi216 said:
sorry to vent, but this is a subject that people get VERY heated over very quickly. I get lumped in w/ dealers when people get angry.
Yea, my apologies. I am hot right now. Sorry to take it out on you or anyone else on this board. I have a '08 OR X with 2200 miles on it and I can tell you right now, If you guys could ride in it, you would be hot to. You should here the noises it's making. The dealer admits it but says, well it seems to be working OK. Anyway, it WILL get fixed

I can tell you it's gunna be a fight and it's a damn shame to have to fight Nissan over a POS rear diff design I'm sure they know they have.

So all I was saying is that if someone mods their truck, and a known defective part fails, Nissan shouldn't be able to weasel out of the repair on some lame ass excuse. Sorry for taking it out on you. It's obvious you actually help people.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts