Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know what it will cost, and I don't care.
What I've done already:
Shrockworks front bumper, rear bumper, and tire mount
Xoskel light cage
4" NissTec suspension lift
33" AT on 18" black XD addict rims
White Knuckle rock sliders
Kenwood DNN990HD w/ rear camera (BTW I highly recommend this head unit!)
2 Pioneer amps and 10" sub
Spec-D headlights
smoked tailed lights with light guards

I live in Alaska, and besides having a sexy looking X, it would be amazing for it to be a sleeper :)
All that I have left is a supercharger, exhaust, and headers. Am I missing anything? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If cost isn't an issue why not do a custom turbo? Or even better VK56 with custom turbo?

It's your dime, but I highly recommend a lot of homework on what shop will do the job right. Unless you plan on diy and have the proper tools and experience to tune it after install. Shortcuts create boosted timebombs.......

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If cost isn't an issue why not do a custom turbo? Or even better VK56 with custom turbo?

It's your dime, but I highly recommend a lot of homework on what shop will do the job right. Unless you plan on diy and have the proper tools and experience to tune it after install. Shortcuts create boosted timebombs.......

I would love a custom turbo, but I feel like it would be even harder to find a shop that could that as opposed to just slapping in a supercharger. I'm stationed in AK right now, and it's not easy to find custom shops here.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Look up BRUTAL's project/build thread for supercharger awesomeness. If it isnt on here, it absolutely is on club frontier.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
2,244 Posts
Most of the super charger stories I have heard of usually end up with a scattered engine.
The VK56 from a Titan fits, and makes a lot for fun torque. Biggest problem is not getting the right parts to start with and ending up with a basket case. This has happened more times then not. Console shift non-flex fuel and get the whole Titan to do the swap. Only wire splicing needed is where the engine harness plug (or correctly needs adaption to plug) into the engine room harness.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Take heed of the advice on VK56 swap, get everything from a single donor. Noone will expect the v8 under the hood either. The swap itself isn't that hard, the wiring will be a slight pain. A competant shop should be able to handle the VK swap easily, may be a better route to go being up in Ak, no custom tuning would be needed.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Take heed of the advice on VK56 swap, get everything from a single donor. Noone will expect the v8 under the hood either. The swap itself isn't that hard, the wiring will be a slight pain. A competant shop should be able to handle the VK swap easily, may be a better route to go being up in Ak, no custom tuning would be needed.
Are you speaking on personal experience, or just speculation that the wiring and electronics will only be a "slight pain"?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
431 Posts
Having taken a stillen way beyond intended outputs and going my own custom ken bell twin screw. I would just do a stillen unit for ease of installation and no custom tuning needed. Stay with the piggy back controller and 7th injector and the new stillen units come with a upgraded cooler under the sc which was i feel were alot of the issues with engine damage due to many if not most of them leaking. At 5-6 psi its not going to kill your engine and no they dont put out 90 more hp to the ground in the many dyno runs ive done for befoere and after. Maybe if youre on a generous dyno jet dyno on a good day with street tires not truck tires

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Would you need to swap transmissions or is the auto the same in the titan and X?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Someone with some more expertise please chime in, but I don't think its the same transmission. Even if it was, I doubt the bell housing would line up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
RE5R05A same trans unit. As far as reliabilty and strength. Theyre the same. But bellhousings(they unbolt from case) are differant, tcm and other small things, basically you dont need to or would want to change the trans since you run into compatabilty issue with tcm(trans control module). Other differances are the torque convertor have differant stalls depending on app, and the truck suv line has 3 clutches in the tc for lockup, nissan and infinity. The cars lines have only 2. when you order a rebuild kit theyre the same for either trans

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'm happy at least that our auto is built for a V8. I would hope that would make it pretty durable in our application.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quick question on the 5.6 swap, anybody find a manual trans option? I love my 6 speed, and would love the V8, and should make the wiring a little easier.

·
on line
2,244 Posts
Someone with some more expertise please chime in, but I don't think its the same transmission. Even if it was, I doubt the bell housing would line up.
There is a bit of confusion about this. In short, you need the V8 transmission if you are going to do a V8 engine. Although the model number is the same, and the bellhousing can be unbolted and swapped around, they are NOT the same transmission. For one, the ratios are different. The case length is different as well. The torque convertor input is different as well. The torque convertor is different between the V6 and the V8, how it bolts to the flexplate. So you have to use the matching torque convertor for the engine. Since the input length of the transmission is different as well you need the right transmission. Drop a V8 in front of the V6 trans and the splines won't engage. Ben there, done that. Also the V8 package will bolt up perfectly in the frame. Do a V8 engine with a V6 transmission and the transfer case will move back and the mount won't line up, driveshaft lengths will be off as well.
And another kicker, the computer for the transmission is inside the transmission. If you want the transmission to work, you need the computer in the transmission talking to the one for the engine correctly. Bastardizing this with a V6 computer will just make a mess of things.

If you want the correct V8 donor, look for a Titan with a console shifter and non-flex fuel. Column shift does not understand anything below the "D" position on the shifter, it uses the +- buttons to make shifts. Avoid column shift donors, the transmission is different. Avoid flex fuel as well, there are no Xterras set up with the matching fuel system for the flex fuel to be happy. Armada has a completely different transfer case with the auto AWD, get the Titan. Yes, it has to be the right donor. Don't care how good of a deal you find on the wrong parts, they are still the wrong parts.

·
on line
2,244 Posts
Quick question on the 5.6 swap, anybody find a manual trans option? I love my 6 speed, and would love the V8, and should make the wiring a little easier.
No. The reason I have not done a V8 swap with my 6MT. I do know of a few of the correct parts that might work, but I have never set eyes on them. And I am not talking Z adaptor plates either, actual correct parts. IF I can ever find one I would be happy. Until then I will live with the V6. Not a bad engine. Really don't want my gas mileage to get any worse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts