Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be bed lining my bumpers and wheels in a few weeks and I'm thinking about tinting my tail lights while I'm at it. I see a lot of people showing that they have done it, but I didn't really see a how to. I just want to make sure I have this right. Sand with very fine grit sandpaper, wash with acetone, spray a few coats of niteshades, spray a few coats of clear coat, very lightly sand, and shine. Does that sound right? Also, for simplicity sake since I will be taping up the rest of my car would it turn out ok to just tape around them and do it while the light covers are on the Xterra instead of taking them off?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok I just realized that. I will go ahead and take them off, does the process seem right?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I took mine off completely. Cleaned them off and painted. Like you I used night shades and that was it. I didn't sand, polish or do anything else to them. Just about 3 light coats ( I didn't want to go very dark) and they still look great. This was almost a year ago now.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Defiantly sand the lights, I don't know why you wouldn't prep before you paint.

Just don't use high grit paper that will leave big scratches. Just fine paper that makes it very cloudy. Then coat as many times as you want, I went 5-6 coats. Then clear coat a bunch of times.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes you are right for the most part,

Remove the lights prep and tape them.

Wet sand with 800, 1000, and 2000+ grit (I just did a new set of lights I skipped the 800 because there were no "deep" or "high" imperfections to remove)

Wipe down with acetone (dont do this when its hot out, the acetone gets cold and will crack your lens):banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wait a few mins for everything to COMPLETELY dry up.

Spray as many coats of the VHT as you would like 3 is usually the magic number. (Spray them next to each other so you can get them matching, also about 7-8 inches away is the best) Wait about 10-15mins between coats.

After the VHT has dried completely (I put them back on and waited 48 hours) spray with a few coats of UV Clear. After that has completely dried get the 1000 out and the 2000+ and very lightly wet sand again till the "orange peel" has gone away.

Put them back on the truck and get your buffer out with some plastic compound and plastic polish and get them nice and shiny!

Then when you completely finished and everything is shined up after being painted. Post a pic!

·
Registered
277 Posts
^Great write up...after reading this i think ill do this as well :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the old lens that I will be putting back on. I am going to redo them with the VHT in a homemade spray booth in my basement since the temp down there doesnt really change. I will do a How-To on that when I am finished and I am just going to get LED bulbs and put resistors in. Thank god I only spent 100$ on the LED lights!!!

·
Registered
2006 xterra s
37 Posts
Honestly all you need to do is use a "red scuff pad" (any paint or auto supply store should have them) and scuff up the tail light lenses untill there are no shiny parts. Wipe them down with a cleaning solution like acetone then spray them. Three coats at minimum and make sure u wait in between coats. Thats how I did mine and they have been good for 7 years. The only difference is I dont like the night shades spray paint so I mixed up tinted automotive clear coat. I did 4 or 5 coats and they turned out perfect. No orange peel either, paint laid really flat. Ive also done 5 other sets of tail lights for friends and not one problem in the bunch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts