Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this article was really interesting. Here's the first paragraph with link to the article below:

On the road in the great American conveyance
‘Wisconsin Cheddar . . . Fried to Perfection!” The billboards promise all manner of exotic delights and profanities here on this blasted godforsaken stretch of I-45 in the middle of Texas, still sweaty hot and humid in early October, as I go rumbling up the highway between hideous knots of mosquito woods in the Great White Whale that is the GMC Yukon XL, which, at 224.4 inches long and with room for nine, 94.7 cubic feet of cargo volume, 8,500 pounds of towing capacity, a 26-gallon fuel tank, and a curb weight of just under three tons, is the biggest beast in the General Motors SUV menagerie, something that one keeps keenly in mind swerving between tanker trucks full of chlorine at 92 mph while drivers in equally large and beastly GMC Yukon XLs of their own career from lane to lane, heedless of little painted lines, yellow or white or double or single, Starbucks in one hand, iPhone in the other, oblivious to the promises of the highway prophets that “Demo-Rats Will Pay Next November Thank God for Trump and Abbott!” on the exurban edges of the “Jerky Capital of the World!” and the “Aggieland Safari Come Feed Our Friends!” and the ineffable promises of beef-themed Christianity at the “Branded for Christ Church” just off the highway amid the filling stations and “adult” bookstores and Cracker Barrels and kolache stands. With a 5.4-liter V8 making 355 horsepower, atop the Great White Whale, I am high above it all, borne like some kind of redneck Cleopatra in a flex-fuel palanquin, looking down on lesser SUVs, paltry wan little Nissan Xterra and Toyota RAV4s, with the even lesser little conveyances scurrying rodentially for the slow lanes as the mighty convoy in the leftwardmost lane, the fast lane, the passing lane, the conquerors’ lane, drivers not even bothering to lean on the horns, blowing right on through the herd and leaving behind only great long contrails of carbon monoxide and middle-class entitlement.

Laughing my ass off at this opening paragraph! Kevin Williams at National Review. Here's the link to the full article:
The High and Mighty SUV

PS - mods, if I've somehow violated copyright laws or whatever feel free to delete away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The original book the high and mighty was published in 2002. If I remember its all about the introduction of the "SUV" into american culture. I actually had a copy back then. Think I only read about half, although I wasn't even old enough to drive in 02.

Thanks for the quote. I love it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts