1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Body on frame just means it's built tougher.

Most of the Pathfinder's construction is pretty similar to the X. It does have the Frontier's longer wheelbase, so if your fishing spot is around some tight corners you might have a slightly tougher time getting there. However, it's got independent suspension all around which will be less useful on the trails (less suspension travel). Depending on what you have to go through to get to the fishing spot, a stock Pathy will probably get high-centered where an X or even a Fronty wouldn't.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do some serious research on the Pathfinder. I had an Armada that was an awesome vehicle but I had read that the Pathfinder had a lot of problems.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can't speak for a 2012 pathfinder but my dad has a brand new one... it's a nice highway cruiser... and the CVT is pretty interesting... but I wouldn't trust it to leave the pavement.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
I can't speak for a 2012 pathfinder but my dad has a brand new one... it's a nice highway cruiser... and the CVT is pretty interesting... but I wouldn't trust it to leave the pavement.
Completely different vehicles. Only thing in common is the name badge.

I would have preferred a Pathfinder back in '10 when I got my X. The added length inside would have been nice. Shorter overall height I like better. Don't know which has more volume, but the Pathfinder has more inside space. Only 2 reasons I didn't get the pathfinder. First was it was $10k more, the other was I couldn't get it with a 6-speed.

I don't remember where the Silver falls in the trim lines. I think it is lower to mid level. You should still get several nice features like auto up windows. It really is nearly the same vehicle as the Xterra and Frontier. Just a little more family oriented. Same 4WD system except for IRS. I don't think the Silver trim gets the auto 4WD option, but if it does that is nice for bad weather road use. Set to "auto" and forget about it.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If your needing more storage / hauling space I would vote x2 on a Fronty. I have one of those also and its quite nice for when I need to take a lot of crap, and the back seat is actually a little bigger and the rear doors easier to get in and out of.

I think the Pathy has a 3rd row seat option, so if thats what your getting then maybe. However beyond needing the extra seating I don't think the swap would be big enough for you to notice much of a difference. Honestly, if you never go off road there are lots of other vehicles on the market with more room.

·
on line
470 Posts
My parents have a 2008 Pathy and it has been a great vehicle. I have driven it quite a bit, it rides nicer than the Xterra and does have a bit more interior room. If you need a bit more room, and don't really off-road much, the Pathy might be the ticket. It is still a solid 4x4 platform IMHO.

·
Registered
2011 Pro4X 6SM Night Armor
390 Posts
I have both 2010 X Terra 2WD (my truck) and 2010 Pathfinder 4WD (Wife’s truck),
It really all depends what you and your family need right now.
I drive both and they are different more cargo space and extra seats on the Pathfinder, if you don’t intend to do any mods to the pathfinder it will be a smoother ride than a lifted X Terra
overall I like them both no complains

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have a 2011 Pro-4x Xterra manual, but I need a little more room and want an automatic. I found a 2012 Pathfinder Silver Edition and and thinking about trading in the X for the Pathfinder.

http://www.belknapsubaru.com/used/Nissan/2012-Nissan-Pathfinder-9b09a5580a0a00650eb93dcb7cf56f4a.htm

What are your thougths? I don't really do any off roading, but I like that the Pathfinder is still a body on frame for when I occassionally need to get to a tricky fishing hole.
Sounds like a no-brainer for you. You want an Automatic, a little more room, and you don't offroad much and nothing difficult.

So if you like Nissan and like your X, the Pathfinder (pre-2013) is basically that.

Personally though, for $26k (the price of the 2012 Pathfinder you linked to) I'd potentially look at other vechiles. Assuming your requirements are just roomy and automatic. There are other cars in that price range that could haul a family, gear, and get better milage. But, if you need to tow (or just really like them) then a BOF SUV makes sense.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Personally though, for $26k (the price of the 2012 Pathfinder you linked to) I'd potentially look at other vechiles.
I agree ... 26k strikes me as high for that vehicle (assuming it's a V6 and not a V8) - but I don't really know the comparables, especially in that area. Edmunds, KBB and others are good resources to dig into that a bit more.

If you're willing to look around a bit - and not afraid to travel to get it, and that's your price range, you can find a low(er) mile (50-60k or less) '08-'10 V8 Pathfinder for that kind of money ... with 4wd and in good condition. Just food for thought.

I've been trying to talk myself out of that exact (what I'm suggesting) vehicle, as a new project ... so I've seen them. Check Autotrader and use Google to search Craigslist. In the last 3-4 months I've probably seen 5-10 that I'd consider good deals.

Given what you're looking at, I think the F-Alpha (M.Y. '05-'12, definitively, for those that were confused ... also model coded as the R51) Pathfinder V6 could be a great alternative for you. Just be aware, that the V6 is also the same VQ40 that the X has, so earlier models will be susceptible to the same problems that we are ... namely the timing chain whine and the SMOD.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was debating about getting a Pathfinder instead of the X, but the X has slightly more off road parts available for it. Not saying the Pathfinder cannot be modded because it can, and their is a similar group who goes wheelin in their pathfinders.
Overall, your ride will be better, you will get more luxury options, more space, functional third row seating and more payload.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Get a truck. The 2005-2012 Pathfinder made too many compromises so it didn't excel at anything. It tried to do too much and failed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts