Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started looking at another vehicle at a dealership. When it came time to talk about trading in my truck, they don't really account for the value of the aftermarket parts. So the trade in number closely resembled a stock truck.

That got me thinking if I should just pull all the parts off the truck and sell them apart from the truck. Unfortunately a lot of what I replaced I gave or threw away the stock parts so I'd need to get those back to bring the truck back to operational. Then I started thinking I wonder if there is anyone out there with a stock truck who wants a deal on an entire "offroad package". That person could come to my house drop their truck for a few days and I'd swap all the parts back and forth. Ideally the donor truck would be a Pro4x so the rear axel locker situation wasn't an issue. I may have a solution to that either way

This is what I have on my truck:
4.10 gears/freshly rebuilt diffs
ARB front bumper/9500lb Smitybuilt winch. Synthetic rope.
Radflo Coilovers/SPC UPC
Cam bolts (I've replaced all the ball joints too)
285/75/16 KO2 10ply w 65% life left in them
Custom rear leaves w +1000lb capacity
Rear shackles (PRG I think)
Bilstein Shocks
Custom made full aluminum roof rack
Rig'd Ultraswing Tire/Carrier and a KO2 spare
Misc lights on the bumper/rack/roof.
Plus lots of odds and ends. Cargo nets. Dividers. Upgraded hatch struts etc etc etc.

What sounds fair for all this plus my installation labor? I was thinking about 5-6k for everything including my labor.

I think it would be easier to sell the parts individually but it would be way easier for me to do it all at once. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
This used to be a common thing around here when our trucks were new - "going back to stock" sales - which was trade your aftermarket part for the stock part and cash.

Having said that, it depends on your location and a willing buyer(s). Very few people are going to throw 5K on the table all at once for aftermarket Xterra parts these days, but there might be people wanting individual things. Or you might do better listing the truck for sale as it sits and sell to a private seller rather than trade.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've seen in this forums classified section, and locally parts get snatched up really quickly and they seem to bring top dollar. Maybe because the parts aren't as common as say for a Jeep or Tacoma. Buying all this stuff new would cost way way more. You're probably right about not many people wanting to plop down 5k all at once.

I did list the truck for sale locally whole but not many serious takers yet. I listed it for 16,500 including all the stuff, all the spares I have, Jerry can mounts/jerry cans, roof rack storage/tools too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Recently started looking at another vehicle at a dealership. When it came time to talk about trading in my truck, they don't really account for the value of the aftermarket parts. So the trade in number closely resembled a stock truck.

[...]Thoughts?
Sell private party

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely sell private party. The dealership won't consider the value of the parts when you trade it in but they will when they turn around and sell it. Someone will buy it as is but if you're patient im sure you can get more swapping most of those parts for stock and cash. At least get money for small/easy stuff. Someone will want the bumpers and 4.10 regear and both can be swapped in a weekend.

·
TNX Veteran
3,976 Posts
Yeah, I think a full on swap is gonna be a tough sell. Even at $5k, it's a FANTASTIC deal compared to buying new, but you have to find the right person in your area which could take a long time.

I agree with Avid. Split up the desirable, expensive stuff. Leave the rest. I would prob try to swap the differentials as a package and then the suspension as a package and call it good. You could get $2k-$3k for those things alone AND get stock parts back, I would think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish I lived closer to you (Omaha) because I am looking to get a winch bumper and winch, suspension lift, struts and an AAL.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You should post it for sale on Ksl.com and the Utah Xterra Owners FB page.

·
Registered
2014 Xterra Pro-4X
214 Posts
If you do decide to sell separately I'm interested in the cargo nets potentially and those you don't need stock replacements for! ;) If also be down to axle swap my stock p4x gears. OOC how many miles do you have and is it a standard? Cause then I might buy the whole thing lol!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol wow those nets are super popular. I've gotten a bunch of requests for those.

It's an auto. 100,412 miles at the moment.

·
Registered
2014 Xterra Pro-4X
214 Posts
Yeah I was going to buy some recently and they are backordered like crazy... I'm not surprised people have come.out of the woodworks for them! I'm an auto with 98k but it would be nice to have 4:10 gearing! I hope you find someone to buy the truck cause having a turn key rig is pretty sweet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts