Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2015 Pro4x ...anybody here with experience of switching over to the new LED light bulbs and can reccomend brand?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Look on Amazon and go with the best cheap price/great reviews combo you can find. Don't fall for a $300 LED set ripoff. Look up Beamtech, Katana, , Hikari, Nineo, Gooauti. I outfitted my fogs, headlamps and roof lights for $150 with great beam pattern, awesome brightness and no big hit to the wallet. You'll see SMD, COB and CSP in the descriptions. You'll want CSP because they closestly resemble the size and positioning of a halogen bulb's filament.

Here's a start:

·
TNX Veteran
3,900 Posts
I still don't believe that an LED can fit well in a halogen housing. I still get blinded frequently on the road by old trucks with LEDs. I don't think I've seen any pictures of LED bulbs in an Xterra yet that would help prove otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I would love anything to improve over the stock garbage headlights, but I'm not gonna do it at the expense of blinding others.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I suppose that's where we differ...If they're blinded but I'm not, at least I can see them coming toward me and I can dodge!

In all seriousness though, I've never been flashed for blinding anyone. I also sat in my wife's Corolla in front of the X with fogs and lows on and although it was bright, it didn't blind me.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
845 Posts
I concur with @HanCholo.

While your concerns are valid, I've had these (attached) installed for months now. I regularly drive in the early morning with them on and have yet to be "flashed" once.

Just make sure you adjust the beams after installation. @rythecarguy has a nice tutorial for that:

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
26 Posts
I just installed these NINEOs last night. I haven't had much time to test them out, but install was a breeze once I figured out how to get the retaining clip to fit around the LED bulb's fan.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I just installed these NINEOs last night. I haven't had much time to test them out, but install was a breeze once I figured out how to get the retaining clip to fit around the LED bulb's fan.
I actually bought those last week due to the great reviews from this board and on Amazon but have yet to install them. Any quick valuable tips you can offer before I tackle it this weekend?

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
26 Posts
I actually bought those last week due to the great reviews from this board and on Amazon but have yet to install them. Any quick valuable tips you can offer before I tackle it this weekend?
Sorry for the delay! I was away this weekend working on my own project - getting my ARB Bumper installed. How did the lights install go for you?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sorry for the delay! I was away this weekend working on my own project - getting my ARB Bumper installed. How did the lights install go for you?
Didn't get to chance to install them. Was way too hot out so got lazy. From the Youtube videos, looks like the retainer ring was the "hardest" part.

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
26 Posts
Didn't get to chance to install them. Was way too hot out so got lazy. From the Youtube videos, looks like the retainer ring was the "hardest" part.
Haha! You're telling me about that heat. It was like installing a bumper in a sauna. Yea retainer ring is mostly just annoying, but not really hard. For me, I had a total "duh" moment when I realized that the front clip on the bulb actually popped off, which allows you to easily get it in the retainer ring. Not hard, just annoying and for whatever I was too dense to immediately realize that the bulb was two pieces.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Haha! You're telling me about that heat. It was like installing a bumper in a sauna. Yea retainer ring is mostly just annoying, but not really hard. For me, I had a total "duh" moment when I realized that the front clip on the bulb actually popped off, which allows you to easily get it in the retainer ring. Not hard, just annoying and for whatever I was too dense to immediately realize that the bulb was two pieces.

Good luck!
Thanks! Hope to get it installed this weekend when it's cooler. Did you have to re-aim them once they're in and did you get any flashes from other drivers?

·
Registered
2011 Pro-4X
26 Posts
Thanks! Hope to get it installed this weekend when it's cooler. Did you have to re-aim them once they're in and did you get any flashes from other drivers?
Haven't re-aimed them and haven't gotten any flashes, but I haven't also driven with them too much at night yet. Will be taking a trip this weekend so I expect to get to put them to the real test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did led Auxbeam as soon as I got my X, the lighting is much better but the beam pattern was not that great even with the higher lumens. I eventually did a bi-xenon projector H1 55w HID retrofit. It cost me a little over $120 and took about 4 hours to open up the headlights, paint the housing black and to install/wire the thing up, an additional hour for final adjustments.

For this retrofit I use the cheaper nilite Amazon projector, opt7 55w H1 kit, and bixenon harness to make the low/high work for the H7. The misimoto i did previously has better cut off and a lense is cleaner but overall, for what I paid and the outcome, im very happy with the final outcome.

Lighting output and beam patter is 100x better, high beam is far and wide. Aftermarket LEDs has come a long way but the spread is not as great as HiD and can not reach as far as a good HiD kit. Hence the reason I went with a 55watt HID instead of LED for my retro fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts

This is prior to the final adjustment and aim, the lighting now is even and the spread is wide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One more thing, high beams in most of these LED aftermarket bulbs are pretty much useless, i didn't even notice driving with high beams on when I accidentally activated them. One of the big reason I did my retrofit

·
Registered
357 Posts
Early this year, I installed: HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-9007/HB5, 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White

Worked great! So far oncoming traffic does not appear annoyed, a concern when I ordered these.

If I was doing it again, I would order more powerful LED headlight bulbs.

I would also stick with the better known brand names for service. Hikari. Think I made a mistake ordering a less expensive Chinese brand for the Kia Soul. The bulbs require a locking ring and asking the company for help is unlikely to work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts