Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would u buy the SE model or the Off Road model. Basically I'm trying to buy an Xterra and haven't made my mind between the Off Road or SE. The SE does not come with hill descent control and locking diff. I live in Los Angeles and plan on taking my Xterra light off roading. Nothing too crazy but we all know that things can change.. What do you guys think, any help is much appreciated.

BTW I'm planning on getting a lift kit and some off road tires down the life of my exterra.

thanks I made the change to Xterra..

·
on line
3,331 Posts
No need for the E in Xterra other then that... I have a 2006 off-road edition. I planned on doing a lot of off-roading when I got it but haven't been able to spent the time modding or off-roading I originally hoped.

I still like the fact that if I am out there in the snow or mud I have another trick in the bag if the going gets tough. The rear locker was the reason I got the OR model and I am pretty glad I did even though I have only flipped it on once or twice.

I am sure there are benefits of getting the SE model too. There will be many people chiming in on that too.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
if you have the extra finances, i think it would be worth it to go off road. and ya, no E
and why do sites call it the X-terra?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I oped for the OR version and glad I did. But, you seem to already know the differences between the two. If you plan to do any off-roading, you will end up being bit by the bug and the OR model will surely help you out. :)

BTW, I assume by your name you own an R6?

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the OR version the same as the off-road version?

·
on line
316 Posts
I personally think the off road is a waste. Sure the locking diff is nice but unless you plan on going after some difficult obstacles and rocks you won't need it. The hill decent control is pointless, if you know what you're doing, you won't need it, especially for light wheeling. The bilstein shocks and rugged trail tires don't make much of a difference either because if you plan on lifting your gonna be upgrading those parts anyways. The RF stereo is a waste too because if your like me and want good quality sound and bass, you're gonna go aftermarket anyway. Just because its got the OFF ROAD package doesn't mean its gonna be that much better than an '89 Pathfinder.

I have an S model and I absolutely love it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the OFF ROAD does but it will do just as good on the trails. My last trip there was a guy that showed up with a shrocked '06 that was fairly loaded up and he didn't even take it up the trail, he rode with someone else, I was completely stock minus my CB radio and I made it through with a few scratches on my cross members. What the hell was the point of bringing a fully armored X if you're just gonna leave it at the trail head, especially an off road model? I have no idea but it seems like most of the off road owners out here just buy it to say they have the BAD ASS model. My theory is this, your rig is only as good as your skill.

·
on line
3,331 Posts
I agree with midnightblue but if you take the same driver and put him in the OR he will be that much more capable because of the locker.

Granted all the other stuff including the skids will get upgraded if you are into serious wheeling so it really is all about the locker.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Get the OR model if you plan on doing some mild off-roading before you spend the money on lift and armor, the skids that come stock aren't great but they are better than not having any at all. Your choice depends on how soon you want to do your mods. I am glad that I have the OR model because I can do my mild offroading without worrying too much about the undercarriage. The Bilsteins offer a better ride than the other models and the locker has provided some help a few times. The SE has bells and whistles that I didn't feel were needed. Take a test drive in both models and have fun deciding.

·
on line
1,504 Posts
Get the OR model...I have the SE because I wanted all of the bells and whistles but I'm even more limited in my options for wheels because the SE has the 17" wheels and it sucks trying to find some decent off road wheels for it. Sure they make all kinds of "thug wanna be" wheels for it, but very very limited on true off road stuff.

·
on line
610 Posts
I have the S model, very happy with it. If you can get a good price on the OR and plan on using it, go for it. I dont think having the locking diff is a bad thing as long as you dont have to pay a premium for it, and your actually going to get use out of it. I put the extra roughly $2-3K in my pocket because the S 4x4 model gets me out on the sand for fishing, thru the woods for hunting, and up snowy access roads to the slopes. No regrets.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
Ya see, i have an S model and haven't needed a locker yet. I've done trails at R. Creek (esp last time) where, yeah, i could've used a locker, but got through without. And, it'll cost you an additional $2-3K for the OR. Might as well get an S and get an ARB locker for $2K (installed)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARB-...061713118QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200061713118

If you're gonna lift it, the beefier suspension of the OR isn't worth it...you'll be replacing that...in addition to most everything else once you get bit by the mod bug.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Midnightblue54 said:
I personally think the off road is a waste. Sure the locking diff is nice but unless you plan on going after some difficult obstacles and rocks you won't need it. The hill decent control is pointless, if you know what you're doing, you won't need it, especially for light wheeling. The bilstein shocks and rugged trail tires don't make much of a difference either because if you plan on lifting your gonna be upgrading those parts anyways. The RF stereo is a waste too because if your like me and want good quality sound and bass, you're gonna go aftermarket anyway. Just because its got the OFF ROAD package doesn't mean its gonna be that much better than an '89 Pathfinder.

I have an S model and I absolutely love it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the OFF ROAD does but it will do just as good on the trails. My last trip there was a guy that showed up with a shrocked '06 that was fairly loaded up and he didn't even take it up the trail, he rode with someone else, I was completely stock minus my CB radio and I made it through with a few scratches on my cross members. What the hell was the point of bringing a fully armored X if you're just gonna leave it at the trail head, especially an off road model? I have no idea but it seems like most of the off road owners out here just buy it to say they have the BAD ASS model. My theory is this, your rig is only as good as your skill.
Umm, I am going to assume you are talking about SexterraPA. If so, umm...he was short one half shaft that day. That is the reason for letting it sit...it was 2wd.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Rats, the secret is OUT, the jig is up--

--We never thought you'd catch on-

Midnightblue54 said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--I just love to hook up my trailer and go sit in the CONCORD MALL and watch all the SOCCER MOMS, DROOL OVER MY OFF-ROAD !!!

--I hope you send your reccommendations to NISSAN, so they can revise their United States sales techniques __

-- Man I feel so-so-so EXPOSED--

-- :geek: :geek: --jimbo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts