Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinking about trading the X for a new wrangler unlimited sahara. the only thing i don't like about the wrangler is the worse break over angle (4 degrees less than the xterra) and the slug-slow engine. I want to possibly trade for these reasons:

1) i want more ground clearance
i can lift the X with spacers and the rear deaver thing for cheap on the X

2) our diffs suck as I read and my rear has failed once and i don't really wheel that much, if at all, if the beach sand counts i do...

3) no upgrade parts for our X's. lots for the jeep. bumpers are cheap, skids, you name it the jeeps have it.

4) the new jeeps have the lifetime powertrain warranty!!!

So, if the jeep had another 50 horses i'd be sold, but i just don't know.

thoughts? any thing to talk me more out of it??

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well lots of people here are not anti-jeep! So jeeps have to be great vehicles, but i have seen too many problems with the ZJ's so those are out of the question (but thats not what you asked). The only jeep I would ever buy would be the rubicon. That being said... a warranty is only as good as the dealership that backs it up... they could claim too much abuse and refuse your claim (it happens look at lloyd schwartz)

Im not going to convince you not to get a jeep but you have to admit that your X is a nice all around vechicle!

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: -My next purchase, just might be a RUBICON--

--To tow behind my X, when I'm not towing my trailer--

--There is no SUV, that traverses freeways, 4 wheels in Mountains, far far away, then Freeways home -with such comfort and convience as the Xterra !!

--Jeeps are really hard to beat-STOCK-but they are a second car--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
13,466 Posts
"and i don't really wheel that much, if at all, if the beach sand counts i do... "

You just hit a huge thing with that comment alone. Quit yer whinnin! You going to drive it on the beach, like occasionally. And you can get better lifts than the spacer and deaver. Go get a fab tech 6 incher, through some 35's on it and put amsoil in the diffs. Look at sexterra! He has the most heavily modded vehicle out there and nothing blew up on his! You just got a bad diff.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
mcampana said:
Look at sexterra! He has the most heavily modded vehicle out there and nothing blew up on his!.
Hey dont forget to knock on wood for that comment!!

The diffs are scary, but i have a buddy that can get me a replacement diff for cheap (hint: you all know him) too bad the gears in his diff are sligtly different than the gears in mine (he has an SE).

If you dont wheel that much than your diffs are going to be fine... If you wheel alot then they may not... then again if you wheel alot then you might want to get a rubicon.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, but I would like to hit uhwarrie here in NC once or twice. actually now that i think about it, the guy at the local 4wheelparts store told me that if you need 4x4 at uhwarrie when it is not wet, something is wrong....so maybe the x can do it with no body damage. i am only looking for some dirt hills and small ruts.. that's all.

So, maybe i'm good. the front bull bar i have has limited my approach angle a tad and I am not too sure by how much as far as the beach is concerned - probably won't matter. I'd like to just throw a lift on it and some bigger tires but am scared that i'll blow the front diff. maybe just the lift? I am concerned more about the underbody clearance for sand etc and not really caring about the diffs per se....so bigger tires for me are not a must have item... make sense??

·
on line
15,651 Posts
First off, it's a VERY big misconception that aftermarket Jeep parts are cheaper. Trust me they are not. Now, the selection is much larger.

I would forget about the Sahara and just get a base model X. The Sahara is all show and costs quite a bit more for it.

Something to keep in mind if you wheel. The WB is REALLY REALLY long on a 4dr JK. It's 116" verse the 106" of the Xterra. This makes it hard to squeeze into small spaces.

The engine is way underpowered for the 4dr (not so bad in the 2dr).

Other than that, I wheel with a lot of friends with JK's and they like them.

·
on line
628 Posts
X2 on that Rubicon, that is the only Jeep at this point I would trade the X for. I almost did it a couple of months ago until they told me it might be awhile for production on the '08 and then he hit me with the price tag. I told him I'll be back when I win the lotto. The only problem now is I don't play the lotto.

·
on line
106 Posts
I have been pondering the same question for awhile. The jeeps are nice and the parts are unlimited. Its cool to take the top off and cruise around on the beach. All this is great but what about the engine? It sucks they have all kind of problems with them. Now, for our VQ engine let me count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 years running for most dependible V6. That should wrap it up, our weakest link is our diffs and this will be addressed by someone soon hopefully. You should buy the H3 ALPHA.

Just trying to stir the pot.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, i thought about getting the x versus the sahara, but seems to me it is far cheaper to pay up front when buying new?? versus paying later for the bigger tires.

i NEED the 4 door version because i carry 6 people sometimes and i need the cargo area behind the rear seat for that 6th person. the wrangler x model unlimited has less ground clearance, around 8.7 inches versus my xterra's 9.1 inches. also, the x unlimited has a much longer wheel base as previously mentioned. that's why i was leaning towards the sahara. now, in reality, i would love the 2 door model but i have to carry that sixth person. the engine sucks for the 4 door cause i just test drove one at lunch. it's like night and day between the xterra and the wrangler 4 door.... they should be giving those jeeps away.

I thought about upgrading to a new xterra OR but am not sure if that is smart. The only diff is the locking diff and all those new goodies but is that really worth me undoing 12 months of payments for the x i have now???? i can probably just pay 1.5k or less on a lift and be happy......

·
on line
106 Posts
I wouldn't upgrade now with your X I would wait till 2009 or 2010 which is really only 1 or 2 years away. That is when the X will be upgraded.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The Sahara is only higher than an X model Jeep because of the tires. Factory tires suck, so why waste the money just to get larger factory tires? Besides, the color matched fenders look bad IMO.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
As for a Rubicon. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you wheel, yes, you want a Rubicon...for one reason...the 4:1 TC. All the rest of the stuff you can get aftermarket (ie. Lockers, shocks, tires, etc). That 4:1 TC though is worth the money.

·
on line
707 Posts
Gonna have to agree with JIMBO, Wranglers are great second vehicles. But at least for me I would much rather have the X for a daily driver. IMO the only vehicle that does everything as well as the Xterra from commuting to work to driving off road would be an FJ, but I like the seating position and visibility I get driving the X. After test driving a new Wrangler I couldn't believe they actually used that engine, no balls at all.

·
on line
704 Posts
Muzikman and Jimbo has good points. There is no such thing as cheap reliable aftermarket parts! It simply does not work this way. You pay, you play. You want to play harder, you have to pay more. Also, the advice on not getting Sahara is dead on: I research exactly the same subject myself and the verdict is you'd be better of with an X model!

The problem with any Wrangler is that it is a second car. If you have to carry many people, even the 4dr version may not be the most suitable approach. VQ is the best damn engine that is out there. Plenty of power, good fuel economy and a solid reputation (hell, it is in every other Nissan vehicle!). It is hard to beat the X in terms of a cheap reliable SUV that one can use once in a while to go to the beach. Wheeling is another aspect of course. Jeep has been selling 4dr versions of Wrangler like hot cakes because they are so popular among the wheeling crowd. I was not able to find good deals on these cars so far.

Whatever you do, don't get an OR model hoping that it is better. OR will give you a locker, but so what? I still managed to blow my front differential on a complete stock car. Chances are that you will replace the shocks and get some aftermarket skids anyway. Are you willing to lose money on your current car to get a stupid locker? Financially, it will make little sense.

If you put some mods in, then have fun out there when it is time to replace the diff. I want to be there when you argue with Nissan about how your 6" Fabtech did not cause any problems. Several people on this board have been in similar situations already. I tend to learn from their mistakes.

I have discussed the same subject with my better half, reviewed my finances and the purpose for which I want to use the car. The verdict is out: X will be gone. Land Rover Discovery is in. Plenty of spare and aftermarket parts. Yes, is sucks gas but I estimate putting fewer than 5K miles on it per year. I can find gears, shafts and all the crap that I can possibly need on numerous Rover parts sites. Additionally, there are many Rover shops around the place where we live and the places where we want to live (I did this research ahead of time).

·
on line
68 Posts
My friend recently bought a jk Rubicon and it's a gutless piece of sh*t. Your X may have a mediocre front diff, but I 'd settle for this before I settled on a junk engine, transmission, zero quality and the worst auto maker in the world backing up the product. In addition, if you thought Nissan guys had a hassle getting their stuff fixed on warranty just wait for the day that you take that jeep in.

·
on line
255 Posts
Silverflash, Keep the X. We had a '6 Unlimited Rubicon. Great off road. o.k. for daily commute on the level(crude and noisy), but (you carry a lot of people)forget acceleration onto the highway or going up grades with people and gear. The X is SO MUCH BETTER as an all purpose vehicle. We thoroughly shopped the '7 4dr unlimiteds (X and Sahara) and the X just blew them away. Are you really going to be using the capabilities of a Rubi that much? How much time do you spend seriously crawling off road? The X OR loaded was also several thousand less out the door than a 4 dr. Sahara with a few options. My wife had enough scary instances trying to merge onto I-80 with semis bearing down on her in the Rubi. Forget a quick pass on a grade. Now she punches the X and shes gone in comfort and serenity.
Also, you have a new vehicle and depreciation when trading in a year old vehicle is a killer. Put the several thousand dollars you save toward....

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the sanity check guys!

i will keep the x. i just washed her down and armor-alled her.

now, for someone like me who wants to hit the easy trails at uhwarrie (if anybody out there knows anything about that place at all chime up please) and regularly hit the OBX, what sort of lift should i seek? I am seriously thinking about just getting the topgunz spacers and the thing in the rear but am not sure if that is the best bang for the buck or not. I would like to gain a couple inches tops in overall clearance. Could i go up to the OR tires without much hassle or worry about exploding a diff???

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I sold my 95yj and then boought my X no matter how great the X is I still miss my YJ. Regardless, they do make great 2nd vehicles and my father (he bought my YJ) loves it but if it's cold or he doesnt' feel like having the wind noise, he drives his truck.

Creature comforts are nice

1 - 20 of 44 Posts