Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, my Xterra is only 3 days old and I already have plans to mess with it.

one of the items on my list is to color match the bumpers. My X is white and i'd like to get a white bed liner sprayed on the bumpers.

Line-X seems to have a nicer looking texture to it and seems to be cheaper than Rhino Liner. any thoughts on this?? Also, anyone have a guess to the cost?

·
on line
73 Posts
Are you going to have this done by a dealer of Line X?

My parents had this done on their new Duramax, and had mixed feelings about it.
They had it done on the grille, the plastic of the front and rear bumpers, and the side mirrors.
It looks good on the bumpers, I think it's a little much for the grille mainly because of the texture.
The mirrors were horrible, it was just bad. They bought new mirrors and had them painted, and chucked the old ones.

This is how it is in NM:

I think the main difficulty is that the people who spray this stuff on are typically not painters. So they are only used to doing beds, which are simple. Once you get in to body components, it becomes a whole other ballgame.
Good luck

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I'll have a dealer do it. i'm gonna personally talk to them first and ask to look at their past work to get an idea of their quality.

what was wrong with your parents' side mirrors? the picture looks good but i know there's a big difference from pictures and real life.

also, do you remember how much your parents paid for it?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Okay i did this but had the traditional black line-x. Im guessing that the white will look pretty goon on your truck... Make sure that when they do it the side steps are OFF the truck. Make sure that they dont clog up any of the holes that you need to reattach them either. The reason why you want them to take the steps off is because they need to partially or fully spray the back side as well as the front. If they dont spray the back side then the linex will have a starting point to begin peeling.... If they coat the whole thing then it wont be able to peel! :thumbright:

Did that make any sense to anyone except me.... :tard:

·
on line
73 Posts
Up close the mirrors were just ugly, not the result they wanted at all.
The paint looks good. I like the combination of paint/lining. Theirs is Rhino lining.

My parents would have worked a deal through their business with the Rhino guy; he's a friend of my dad's. You know how that goes.

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S_e_X-Terra said:
Okay i did this but had the traditional black line-x. Im guessing that the white will look pretty goon on your truck... Make sure that when they do it the side steps are OFF the truck. Make sure that they dont clog up any of the holes that you need to reattach them either. The reason why you want them to take the steps off is because they need to partially or fully spray the back side as well as the front. If they dont spray the back side then the linex will have a starting point to begin peeling.... If they coat the whole thing then it wont be able to peel! :thumbright:

Did that make any sense to anyone except me.... :tard:
makes perfect sense to me. although if it does peel, wouldn't they have to re-do it free of charge because of their "lifetime warranty?"

·
on line
589 Posts
I am curious about this too, since I was thinking of having the top of my sliders and bumper line-x'd. Isn't there a peeling point on the outside of all truck beds where it ends? Is this really a problem, or more cautionary?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Erick said:
I am curious about this too, since I was thinking of having the top of my sliders and bumper line-x'd. Isn't there a peeling point on the outside of all truck beds where it ends? Is this really a problem, or more cautionary?
Its cautionary... I wanted to do my doorhandles and other things but was told that there was a chance of peeling becasue they couldnt coat the whole thing... but now that you mention it, yes i do think that truck bed liners have a similar peeling point!! What gives??

·
on line
589 Posts
muzikman said:
Peeling on metal is probably less likely then peeling on plastic.
Great point, that could be the reason they suggest that. Possibly the composition of the Line-X is better suited to bonding to itself and metal, which could be why they recommended coating plastic completely so that it can coat to itself.

·
on line
82 Posts
I went to the Line-X dealer to get an estimate on my Shrockworks rock sliders. He told me it would be $150 incase you were interested. He also told me if my intention was to scratch the sliders up he wouldn't recommend Line-X. Because Line-X would come off with the weight of the vehicle sliding on rocks. A touch up of Line-X would be nearly the same price for the sliders. I got a similar story from the Rhino Liner dealer but his estimate was $175.

I went with a do it yourself truck bed liner called Herculiner instead and I think that is a great product and I can touch it up myself, if and when I get scratches or scrape it off. I only did the rock sliders and used 1/2 of a quart refill that they sell for $24. I imagine for the bumpers you might want to have a gallon which is $79 to $99 depending on the store.

One of the owners here with a white Xterera (Snoopy) used a product called Durabak (sp?) on his white Xterra on the rear fenders. I looked into that stuff, it seemed you could only get that in gallon quantities and it was slightly more than Herculiner for the gallon price. Durabak offered more colors and a UV protectant mixed in, Herculiner can put their UV protectant on over top I believe.

I don't think bumpers would take all that much abuse from rocks that it would be the same category as rock sliders. I would think bugs would be really hard to remove with an uneven surface on the front of a vehicle, but with that said I have seen truck bed liner used on bumpers.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You are right across the board.

I did my slider, lower doors, front bumper and front skid plate in Herculiner and I used up a gallon (paid $60 for it at Pepboys last year).

I'll be getting another gallon to touch up the scratches in the sliders and bumper, plus coat the rear bumper as well as the bumpers and sliders on my Jeep.

·
on line
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, snoopy's post with the durabak is what kicked up my interest in coating my bumpers. his fender turned out great but i like the overall finish of line-x better. plus using a roll on applicator might be difficult in a few corners/crevices/cracks that are on the bumpers.

i'll try to take a trip to my local dealer within a week or so and see what they have to say.

·
on line
82 Posts
I also can understand not wanting to do it yourself. I didn't want to do it either, which is why I got the quotes from the dealers. One thing I noticed was they offered free replacement if damaged only for truck bed applications only (and they even had exceptions to that rule). Both dealers would not touch up my sliders for free because they were a special application (and I told them what they were intended for).

What I found was the Herculiner was surprisingly easy to deal with. If you take the bumpers off the truck I do not think it would be hard to get all the surfaces of the main bumper parts that you would like to cover.

Does anyone have experience how well Herculiner sticks to plastic? Our interior scratches up so easily I was thinking about Herculining the flip up door we have in the back. I read that Herculiner can get sticky when hot and the interior of our trucks can get hot in the summer.

·
on line
82 Posts
muzikman said:
I used up a gallon (paid $60 for it at Pepboys last year).
I saw it for $105 at Napa, which I thought they had incorrectly marked, but it turns out to be right. Goes to show it saves $$ to shop around.

·
on line
1,163 Posts
how about flexibility of the bumper(s) will that cause a stripping point? will this stuff flex with heat and cold? will it strip when power washing the bumpers? just some questions i came up when i thought about line-X or other brands.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Duplicolor also makes a truck bed liner. It comes in roll-on or aerosol form and is supposedly gaining reputation for being one of the most durable, and economical bed liners available. It's also got a very nice texture. It's not too fine and not too coarse. Here's a small texture and color sample from a current project of mine.

·
on line
332 Posts
is that the aerosol or the roll on in the pic

·
on line
1,716 Posts
syndicate said:
Duplicolor also makes a truck bed liner. It comes in roll-on or aerosol form and is supposedly gaining reputation for being one of the most durable, and economical bed liners available. It's also got a very nice texture. It's not too fine and not too coarse. Here's a small texture and color sample from a current project of mine.

Those wheels should look sweet!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts