Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am all happy because I finally got my BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's
in size 265/75 R16 for my S, but costco says they won't mount them because of the TPMS, they said that the new tires are light truck tires and need more air pressure then the stock tires and it will jack up the TPMS.

Has anyone had any issues mounting these or any other tires???

Thanks for any help.

MJ~

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Tell them it won't mess up the sensors because the sensors read the accurate pressure, despite what tire you have on the rim. If they give you some legal mumbo-jumbo, just tell them to just remove the TPMS and then install the tires. I'm assuming they're simply trying to cover their behinds so you don't run your LT tires at like 31psi, when they should be at like 40psi.

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you remove your TPMS?

Thats what I was thinking, they where just covering their butts.

But then it got me thinking that they might actually be right and that the TPMS would not work with a higher pressure tire.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Just because the tire can handle a higher pressure doesn't mean you should run it at that pressure. You still run it at the door pressure, unless you are loaded down.

Did you buy them, at Costco?

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I bought them from Tirerack.

I just have a costco across the street and they charge 10 bucks a wheel to mount and balance.

First they gave me a hard time because I upsized from the stock S to the Off Road size. Then he came back and said the TPMS stuff.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
When I had all my balancing problems, BFG told me they don't know how I even bought them from a BFG authorized dealer as they should not sell Over sized tires for the X. And, they told me that the proper air pressure for a 285 75 is 42 Lbs on the 8" wide rim, not what is in the door. I am realizing you have a stock size but maybe they are installing safeguards now that the law for a working TPS is in effect. But what you are doing is safe, someone will mount them no problem. I'll be going with that same size as soon as mine wear out. Or even half out. BFG technical service pretty told me, you bought wrong tires, you have no warranty, we won't cover anything. Wonder why that is transferring down to the tires you But they have, they also mentioned Truck tires to me. Said I need a P rated tire, but, they agreed when I said I choose for better sidewall protection. MC

·
on line
463 Posts
Absolutely can't emphasize enough that you should leave Costco in the DUST !

They are just covering their Butts,,,Yes ! and in today's litigious society,,,,,
I had a bad experience with them as well !!!

Now, I also have to say that America's Tires are the stores to go to !!!
They have been SUPER to me through two sets of tires and even swap out the dirt tires and the street tires when I go off-highway for the week-end.
Pricing is better than Sam's Club as well !!

Jim B

·
on line
3,050 Posts
I havent been to costco and I have 265/75/16's in a Procomp All-terrain tire and I havent had anyone say that they couldnt install them because of the sensor...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I ran my BFG ATs (265 75 16s) at 35 on the road for 35K miles with nothing but fantastic results, in wear, and especially handling. That's what plenty of guys recommended. MC's guy may be right about running the 285s at 42, but I bet even those are fine closer to door pressure. And since when does 40 or so psi screw up the TPMS?

I think these Costco people see the 65psi max on the tire and freak out, plain and simple. E load rated tires, like the Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain tire, max out at 80! Plenty of people would still run that tire on an SUV like ours in the 30s or very low 40s and do well. Just because it would work on a Ford F 350 loaded with bricks or green cordwood doesn't mean it isn't versatile enough to run in the 30s around town on an X. Or at 18 psi. on a fire road.

·
on line
853 Posts
Not all Costco's appear to be the same. I bought 265/75/16 BFG AT K/O's at the local Costco for my S model. They installed them with no problems, that size tire is listed on the sticker as an option.

When I told them that I intended to regularly air them down to around 20 lbs off road they suggested that the load range D tires would be better for my weight vehicle than the E range. Said they would sit on the rim better when aired down. So far they have been great.

I've now done a few multiple-day trips with the tires aired down to 20 the whole time, one of those trips covered over 100 miles before airing back up. No problems.

As for the TPMS, that has been acting a bit weird lately. There have always been certain areas around the county where it will predictably trigger no matter what the pressure (the light only, not the beep), but it would usually reset after turning off the engine. It also used to be that it would reset after airing up and driving a few miles, but in the last few months it now does not reset. Hard to say if it's the tires, as it did reset after the first trip with the new tires (aired down to 20 for 2 days).

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Since we air up and down all the time, both on my buddy's X and on mine, the sensor light goes haywire like that all the time. I keep such a close eye on my tires that I've given up worrying about it. It's obviously a "blunt instrument."

·
on line
1,831 Posts
d-rap said:
Since we air up and down all the time, both on my buddy's X and on mine, the sensor light goes haywire like that all the time. I keep such a close eye on my tires that I've given up worrying about it. It's obviously a "blunt instrument."
Word. It's great for keeping the soccer-moms safe though. I'll admit that.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Hey "My Guy" for the proper air pressure is BFG technical service Dept, they got the vehicle weight, tire size, load range, rim size and some number off the tire itself, entered all that into a computer (Obviously with some software designed for that) and they gave me that number for what to run. So my Guy IS the guy and that Guy was the head of BFG technical service who, happened to be........a Woman! Anyone who has BFG tires, or maybe even not can call them, the number is on their site on the web, check my story. MC

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.
I had searched the forums before and everyone recommended these tires , so when they said that last night (WTF).
I will be taking them to another shop where I have a friend that works there, he said It won't be a problem at all.

As a sidenote, maybe Costco didn't want to mess with my tires because they already had to pay HBL AUDI about $1,100 for breaking a lug off into my gf's Audi TT's hub, we had to have the hub replaced. They also mentioned that they had destroyed about 5 TPMS stems so far this week......
:scratch:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
My method of deciding on the proper pressure to run my MT's was not quite so high tech, but has worked and has left me with very even worn tires.

Just like everything else, a computer is only as good as the info you give it. Everything from the altitude you are at to the amount of moisture you inflate your tires with will affect the "correct" pressure at which you should run them.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Hey, MC, didn't mean to knock anyone. I didn't read your post closely enough. And I know some great women technicians and mechanics.

I believe the BFG tech's number, 42 psi. I just suggested there was some flexibility. As always, your research and precision are very much appreciated.

And I called BFG techs when I was looking at the M/Ts. Talked to them several times and found them extremely helpful.

·
on line
975 Posts
I also have a set of BFG M/T's but mine are load range E. I usually run them at 20 psi on the trail and around 35 on the street. Haven't had any trouble with them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts