Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

go or no go?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys, its been a while since ive been on here. my beautiful X has been sold and replaced by a B7 A4 with the 2.0T.
BUT my girlfriend needs a new car, and i see it as the perfect opportunity to get back into an Xterra. we have a super low budget due to our broke college student status, but i found one for fairly cheap, its a 1nd gen but they are saying a wiring harness got pinched when the did a valve cover gasket. i know about 2nd gens but not 1sts. i was hoping you guys could chime in on how expensive or worth it it would be to buy

"2000 Xterra
157k miles
CT truck - no rust on body or underneath, just bumpers.
Tires new January 2013
Automatic
Check engine light is - changed valve cover gasket and in process pinched wire harness. It's for idle air sensor and knock sensor. The wire harness just needs to be replaced and we don't have a garage. This is a common occurence when changing valve cover gasket.
It needs to be inspected
Timing belt was replaced
Nice stereo with USB port

It runs great!

$2400 obro"

should that be a go, or a no go?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
northern VT, up by JSC

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there was another 2000 xterra that has a malfunctioning ABS system and needs the headers replaced, but the ABS just seems like a dangerous thing to get myself into

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone want to comment about the price?
i figured the ABS was going to be an issue, and it wasnt disclosed before we drove 2 hours to go look at it

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Well I don't know about your state but I can imagine that if you have a check engine light on it would be an auto fail until that was fixed. If that is not the case then take it to a shop of your choice and have them do an inspection on it. Granted you will be out the money but this will save you the headache and money in the long run. Also do you have the VIN? If you do then get a Carfax report to see what else they are not telling you about. If you are willing to do the work or have someone help you then go for it. Also the pinched wiring harness thing is not a normal occurance if you know what you are doing. The one thing that bothers me is that there are no engine shots in there. Mainly outside views and a couple of interior shots. I would walk away overall though.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks Glucola, and your right 21SF. if the check engine light is on i cant get it inspected, BUT i do have a reader that can clear the codes if there are any prior to getting it inspected, so if its something trivial that doesnt matter i do have the option of ignoring it so long as theres no holes in the body, broken glass and the exhaust is good.

if i can narrow what i have to do to fix it, and why it was an issue in the first place to get an idea of how it was taken care of, i dont think id mind getting this.

that is as long as theres not another one thats better for around $3k

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
id love to get another 2nd gen, i LOVED mine, but their a bit out of the price range. were working on the "broke college student" price range currently so about $3000

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no way dude! thats my budget race car! $3k out of college and i can have a caged A4 with 300hp, same axels and whatnot as the S4 (no swap needed, audi must have seen you nuts with your titan swaps and decided to do it right the first time), stage 2 clutch and coil overs
:p
i dont know if you guys know any about the 2.0tfsi engines but their insane to play with

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Hahaha, totally agree 21SF!! But still, you guys in VT must be doing something right to get that kind of power as here's a guy who showed up at the last Dyno Day for my Subaru group and his $40k+ 2011 Stage 2 Stasis tuned S5 put down a whopping 244whp/244wtq, he was not impressed lol.

Took it to the recent dyno day here locally, I was impressed with the results, especially when a Stasis Stage 2 tuned '11 S5 put down 243.8whp/244.7wtq and my LGT put down 244.3 whp/295.3wtq!

Here is the Audi S5 Stasis stage 2 dyno. (If you come to a dyno day your plot becomes public domain in my book... ;)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not to go too far off topic, but the engine was originally designed to be a bmw 3 series demolishing monster and then audi decided to take it back a notch for gas milage sake. basically what your left with is an engine that produces 210 hp at 8psi, and 250-260 at 12 with nothing but software. the best part is the engine was originally designed to put out 15 psi so the reliability of these engines when their built isnt too bad

1 - 20 of 26 Posts