Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That I need to remove from the factory rack,to put on my new Front Runner rack.
only SIX of those are NOT spinning! FML.

Is there anything I need to be leery of removing the headliner with those side airbags?

again...FML

·
Registered
386 Posts
Following because I know I'll have to deal with this eventually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly don't think this can be done even with the headliner dropped. There are quite a few riv-nuts up in a secondary channel that I can't get to.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had that same problem and used these. Can be installed from above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those would work great after I figure out how to get all these stripped ones out without completely mangling my roofs sheet metal:confused:

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,043 Posts
If you don’t care about the roof rails- grinder and drill.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Those would work great after I figure out how to get all these stripped ones out without completely mangling my roofs sheet metal:confused:
I just pried mine out and then used a step bit to make the holes slightly larger for the well nuts. The rivnuts are only held on by 1mm of sheet metal.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If they are already spinning, they are going to leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think the previous owner must have went at them at some point. They were all pretty much loose already. I have not seen any signs of leaking. [knockonwood]

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,043 Posts
Semtex.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I dropped my headliner. It is a pain, but it can be done. Just time consuming. Go slow and take your time.
Problem is there are quite a few rivnuts hidden under crossmembers that you can't reach.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are quite a few that are up in those cross members that you just cannot get a hold of. These are pretty small needle nose pliers, and it just spins in there.

20210504_153626
by Noah, on Flickr

I gave up messing with it for the day. Gave me some time to finish up another project.

20210504_175659
by Noah, on Flickr

Also, my lift kit finally arrived after 7 weeks, so I will be on the garage floor for a few days. I'll work on the rack later. Not looking forward to it though

·
Registered
779 Posts
There are quite a few that are up in those cross members that you just cannot get a hold of. These are pretty small needle nose pliers, and it just spins in there.

20210504_153626
by Noah, on Flickr

I gave up messing with it for the day. Gave me some time to finish up another project.

20210504_175659
by Noah, on Flickr

Also, my lift kit finally arrived after 7 weeks, so I will be on the garage floor for a few days. I'll work on the rack later. Not looking forward to it though
I had to cut larger access holes on the hidden ones to get vise grips on them.

Alternatively, since you’re replacing the rack you could cut out the old rack with an angle grinder from the top (carefully!).

Good luck! Those rivnuts SUCK. Nissan could have at least used higher quality ones rather then the weird hex style they used.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Did you follow the proper removal method for the bolts? It takes timr, but it is worth it.

Also, a bit of silicone under every bolt head is a good idea imo. Never hurt anything.

Lastly getting those crossmember recessed rivnut bolts removed is a two person job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All the videos I watched on removal just showed using the T-30 to remove the bolts. Didn't see any "proper" way to remove them. I didn't even have to apply any real pressure before they they just spun.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
All the videos I watched on removal just showed using the T-30 to remove the bolts. Didn't see any "proper" way to remove them. I didn't even have to apply any real pressure before they they just spun.
You have to tighten them about 1/16 turn and then back off slowly.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've also heard that an impact will jerk them free, while a gingerly turning hand will spin them.
But that scares me lol

Reactions: 52804x4x
1 - 20 of 21 Posts