Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

501 - 506 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just purchased this trailer, and took it out tonight for the first time. It is a 2014 KZ spree 196s that weighs 2900lbs dry. I'm running an Add a leaf and rancho 2" shocks in the back, along with the rancho quicklift up front, and am really happy with the outcome. I think I can adjust the hitch a bit to get the trailer more level, but I'm not sagging in the rear at all. I am very impressed with the xterra's towing capability so far and can't wait to get out into the mountains.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Heading out to Mabel Lake BC, early start to beat the traffic. Added a brake controller to the X after this trip, was the first trip for the X going through the mountains. Didn't have any problems yet know this will help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Had zero issues going through the Ozark Mountains to ZCON. Made sure not to exceed 2500-3k rpms going up some of the monster hills / mountains. Was only going 30ish mph by the top of them, but thats why all the big ones have 2 lanes. Lots of 18 wheelers going through doing the same thing. usually popped it into 2nd going down some for the sake of my brakes.

Attachments

·
Senior Member - AKA avizpls
298 Posts
KZ escape, 27 foot. Call it 4500 lb gross. Havent hit the scales on it. Ive been called a few names for my decision to tow with this set up looking at you @xxxXXXX :) but with caution exercised its safe and manageable.

I've towed many things with many vehicles, so I have some experience to speak from when I say this is approaching the upper limit for our mighty X, especially when laden with winch/bumper, skids, all our favorite goodies. Its no F350, and I honestly dont think it would fare as well in automatic trim (I had an auto fontier that struggled with shifting with only 3000lb) but 60- 65, some 70MPH on hiways with typical hills is reasonable. Steeper inclines brings us to ~3000RPM @~55MPH. There is some trailer sway when being passed by anything bigger than a passenger car, or a pick-up if they're moving quick. Be aware, and be in control, and you'll be fine. Ive only opted to exit the hiway and take surface streets one time due to high winds. Don't pretend you're invincible.

I found that going to OEM size P tires made a huge difference in drivability on hills and acceleration, while still being sufficiently rated for the weight. So thanks to @Biba88 I have a set of wheels/tires I keep for the street and only put on my 285's when we are heading for trails.

Other equipment to tow- Firestone Airbags in the rear (only at 25psi) and a good weight distribution hitch with antisway bar. Probably worth mentioning that I had only a rear anti-roll bar on the truck. I had towed the same config with neither anti-roll installed, and it was manageable, but the improvement adding the rear was noticeable. For the brakes, I upgraded my brake controller to a proportional model This one here which makes a WORLD of difference when configured properly.

One last thing to add, I wouldn't trust this set up with any of the aftermarket rear bumpers, altho I have no first hand experience with towing anything substantial with them

Attachments

501 - 506 of 506 Posts