Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just two weeks ago, I got hooked on looking at campers... I just want to see what everyone is hauling with their X's. Especially the camper trailers... With be probably not being able to work here in a couple of years and retiring at an early age, I might as well go out and have some fun in the next half of my life!

·
Registered
533 Posts
not a camper but it had everything we own in it and I pulled across the country. Also had the wives winter tires on the roof.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched and didn't find one... Guess I didn't use the correct terms... Got a link?

And Justwork... How did that tow? I will be moving here on June 1st and will be getting the 6x12 uhaul trailer for our stuff...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Horsepower!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Here's my (current) setup that I'll be using a lot this summer (can't take any long trips due to work and my daughter's soccer, but lots of weekend trips will be nice)... Coleman Fleetwood Americana popup tent trailer with two cargo boxes (one filled with firewood, the other with our sleeping bags and gear). Inside the trailer is a very large cooler and our other gear like chairs, lanterns, ect. And you can see my family's bikes mounted. This leaves the back of the Xterra open for the dogs, and now that I have my Dephep rack I may put more gear on the roof if I'm not taking a kayak along.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
i hate pintle hitches. we have them at work. they SUCK!!!
Well, they do allow a lot more articulation from many more angles than a ball mount hitch, which is important for off road.

But I would rather have something like this I think:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I searched and didn't find one... Guess I didn't use the correct terms... Got a link?

And Justwork... How did that tow? I will be moving here on June 1st and will be getting the 6x12 uhaul trailer for our stuff...
It towed alright. I pulled it from Vancouver to Toronto. That's 2 mountain ranges, hours and hours and hours of prairies, hot curvy Ontario roads. The only issue I had was I loaded the trailer with the CofG to far aft, causing it to sway big time when I would hit about 55 mph. I was by myself, so unloading the trailer wasn't an option. I had loaded my winter tires for the other car last, and they're on rims so pretty heavy. The solution was to remove the tires and ratchet strap them to the roof rack - makes for amazing fuel economy :tard:

My X is a manual, didn't see 6th gear the entire time, unless it was a huge down hill - even then I would keep it in 5th or 4th to keep the brakes cool. 4th and 5th pulled fine, about 110KPH the entire drive.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts

Sure.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8265&highlight=towing

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17246&highlight=towing

Here's what I did: advanced search, titles only, "towing"

PS: my ipad doesn't have the search function on this forum (and pics don't show up on the iPad either, not that that pertains here) so I couldn't produce a link for you before.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Nice! But are you using a pintle mount hitch with that? (rattle rattle, thump thump....)
It connects to a surge brake setup so I'll have to go with the bumping. Inside my surge unit there's a shock absorber that takes up most of the bump.
Peeps have made adapters to use a ball hitch but the pintle as better articulation.

·
Registered
418 Posts
^^The little X that could. That looks like a huge trailer compared to the X.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice, unamused! That does look pretty big... How much she weigh? I just want to keep it fairly light to keep wear and tear/gas mileage down...

1 - 20 of 506 Posts
About this Discussion
505 Replies
206 Participants
its_woo
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing