Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us are fabricators, some of us are garage jockeys, some of us just have a driveway but we all have some place to work! Let's see what you got!

I work out of an art studio in Boston next to the Sam Adams Brewery.

Here's the welding/large scale casting side:

(That's our very own skyfaller MIG welding there with some XN members in the back)

(That's me in the black gear)

We're set up for oxy-acetylene, Stick, MIG, TIG, and plasma cutting. Our furnace holds about 300lb of bronze and costs us four digits just to turn the thing on.

And on the other side we have jewelry and figure sculpture:

We are expanding out into the lot. In my backyard (which happens to be adjacent to the studio) we've built a mini-furnace for aluminum casting:

And we have a wood shop across the street inside the Brewery complex (sorry, no pics) as well as more cutting implements (including a jump shear) in the basement.

Here's what we make:

(Made with Sam Adams barrels)

(Made for Sam Adams barrels)

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I'm a hobbyist woodworker using a single car garage as my shop.
From an old in-progress project picture:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
My currant shop with a customers X getting a inspection..

And my old shop with my old 200sx SE-R installing my snow tires ..

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Heres my mechanic/fabrication shop. AKA my garage:

Disregard the pool solar cover hanging over my workbench (it was winter)

When I was working on building up my Sentra SE-R Spec-V race car:

During my xterra suspension install:

Ended up doing it right in the middle of hurricane sandy, so I had to wind-proof my truck god forbid it fell while on jack stands:

Heres my paint booth lol:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Glad to see one of these threads. Will post pics of my basement shop, such that it is, and new rig parking spot with what will be a shop once I rebuild it inside. Will have pics tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
well, I finished the garage last winter for a new year's eve party. It was totally unfinished before that.

insulation up!

80% done

I'll have to get some better pics. of everything where it goes.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here's what I've got for now. It works well. Everything I've ever built for the truck has been done in a basement with a grinder, drill and dremel along with a decent array of hand tools. Added a couple of nice tools to the arsenal lately though.

View from the basement stairs. I'm going to fix up this old dresser and put a benchtop drill press on top. In the drawers below will go drill bits and other heavier tools (grinder, drills, etc.)

View from the other side of the furnace facing the walk out.

Spring compressor, my vertical rolling toolbox, and some other stuff.

Space between two workbenches. The one on the left is where I do most of my work, the one on the right has my mitre box and tool box with mechanics tools plus some other odds and ends.

10' x 20' shed currently inhabitted with spiders, fly's and all the lawncare gear. Will be rebuilt inside with a new wood floor, insulation, plywood walls and upper interior roof. Parking spot where the rig is was just finished this weekend.

·
Registered
698 Posts
What's the plan for the drill press dresser? I would cut some slats/put a grate on top so all the shavings fall into the first drawer for easy cleanup :)
Not a bad idea. I usually just sweep everything onto the floor or straight into the dust pan. I'm going to sand it down and repaint it craftsman red and slap some new handles on it. For the top, I'm thinking regular ole piece of 3/4 OSB or whatever the hell that brown cardboard looking stuff is. I used the same stuff to rebuild the top of the workbench against the back wall and so far it's worked out pretty well.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the top, i'm thinking regular ole piece of 3/4 osb or whatever the hell that brown cardboard looking stuff is. I used the same stuff to rebuild the top of the workbench against the back wall and so far it's worked out pretty well.
mdf :)

(The caps limit on this board is frustrating)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I work in slightly better conditions than this:

Just kidding, I do my delicate work in here:

The heavy duty work resides in a dirt floor shed, but it's better than being out in the rain:

The X gets it's TLC in the garage, it's a lot cleaner to work on.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well it's a mess. i'm gonna blame it on sandy even though the hurricane was last October :tongue5:

jebus. this just motivated me to get my ish together and take a better pic

·
Registered
431 Posts
here's what I got assembled last week on vacation. getting the sheeting hung this week since had to go back to work. 40x60 with 12'eaves and 10x14 bay doors. only problem, cant seem to ever post pics on here unless in PB and cant access at work :(

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's what our interns built last month:

They also helped build the little furnace inside (just a little bit of help though). Eventually we will be casting small-scale aluminum and bronze in there at virtually no cost with waste oil and anything else that burns hot enough (beats the hell out of our big furnace which costs us four digits just to turn on).

And yes, I'll see about making Xterra goodies in there.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Alright, i'll play. Current garage:

Right bay is mine, I live upstairs

Workbench and storage in the back

Workspace/parking in the front. The X still fits in here, but the ladders hanging from the center beam catch the driver's door so i park outside.

New digs, moving in next week:

Not shown is the other half of the basement, same epoxy floor and plenty of dry storage/workspace. Plus a nice 220v outlet.....

Plenty of outdoor modspace too:

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We build a gantry crane for the Big Gray Box from my last post. I got to use some Xterra parts on it!

Had to Frankenstein a sleeve for our bearings.

The hinge is built from a set of extended recovery brackets originally intended for my X! They were manufactured incorrectly and they probably wouldn't fit on anyone else's rig, so I figured this was the most expedient way to recycle them:

We even had some brass lying around for bushings:

The thing had to be gusseted all to hell once we got it up...ever see 1/2" steel twist?

·
Registered
676 Posts
^^^^yes, i have. Think of that like a giant cheater bar...

How much do you plan to lift with this? You might want to change out the threaded rod for something a bit more substantial, plus add bracing as you mentioned.

Just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts