Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't resist the peer pressure...The pic was taken with my phone so not the greatest. Came out great, the neighbors thought I was crazy but they have all given compliments.

·
on line
432 Posts
I bought a floor jack, jack stands, and everything else I needed to do this from the how-to. I just can't bring myself to scratch the wheels with the sandpaper block. I just sit there staring at the wheel thinking "I really have to mess up these pretty wheels?"

I'm sure I'll get my courage up soon to go for it. :p

- Russell

·
on line
631 Posts
wooooo!!!! peer pressure sucks doesnt it! but this is good peer pressure because it turns out really nice in the end... looks good!

·
on line
2,072 Posts
It looks great.........now.......I am hesitant as I want to see the condition of the painted wheels on some ones truck 6 months from now. Someone that wheels, drives in a true winter climate with sand and slt on the roads. That would help me decide if this mod is for me.
I actually like the look of the stock rims painted black better that the pro-comp look.

·
on line
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same hesitation but figured worst case scenario is I would just have to do some sanding and painting again. Really didn't take that long, and if it had been warmer here it would have made it much easier. One way or another I was going to end up with black rims so why not....not to mention that damn peer pressure! :iconbiggrin:

·
on line
191 Posts
Bueller44 said:
It looks great.........now.......I am hesitant as I want to see the condition of the painted wheels on some ones truck 6 months from now. Someone that wheels, drives in a true winter climate with sand and slt on the roads.
What is "Winter"? Never heard of it.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I think I will wait for all of you to paint yours black, then I will be super cool because mine are not black.

That or I am lazy

·
on line
735 Posts
looks good on a white truck. I'd think the metallic gray argent color that nissan used to offer would look good on my OR wheelz.

·
on line
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I almost bought black wheels when I got the BFG ATs but didn't want to pay the extra $, so when I saw sexTerraPA's stealth wheels I knew it was only a matter of time. Then bwarren posted those pictures of his Frontier and I started thinking I wanted to do the graphite color, but when I went to get the paint I found the bedliner but no graphite so went with it and looking at it now I am glad I did. Thanks again SexterraPA for posting the mod and creating the monster!

·
on line
2,072 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Bueller44 said:
I actually like the look of the stock rims painted black better that the pro-comp look.
HEY!!! (j/k)
Hey, sorry TXterra37, nothing personal!! Just personal preference!! Your wheels look great too!!

·
on line
2,072 Posts
BIGTOM726 said:
Bueller44 said:
It looks great.........now.......I am hesitant as I want to see the condition of the painted wheels on some ones truck 6 months from now. Someone that wheels, drives in a true winter climate with sand and slt on the roads.
What is "Winter"? Never heard of it.
Winter in Vancouver means 90 straight days of rain and temp around 9 degrees celsius. A nice day is when we get showers or period of rain instead of just good ol rain

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but do you guys use sandpaper because you have alloy wheels? Would steelies require the same plan of attack?

·
on line
1,231 Posts
Sanding is just prepping for the paint to have a good surface to stick to. If you left the clearcoat untouched and smooth, it's more than likely the paint or bedliner would peel off after time.

·
on line
19 Posts
After seeing all your wheels and getting the itch for a cheap mod (for those of us without the funds for anything more ambitious) I painted my "S" wheels with Duplicolor graphite wheel paint. I don't think I've seen any other S wheels in graphite (only black), but I'm pretty happy with the results. I didn't tape off the tires, except for where they meet the rim, but it seems to wipe off easily. You can see in the picture where the paint got on the outer part of the tire. I've only done two so far -- it's too cold here in New York so I had to do it in my basement (using a hairdryer for some help with drying). I did 3 light coats of graphite and three light coats of clear. Now that I look at it, though, I think I'm going to paint the valve covers. I took them off, but I think it'll look better painted too. I'll do it when I do the other two wheels. Can't wait to get some new tires...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts