Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Wednesday will be 7 weeks since I placed the order for my '07 SE. Apparently, not many X's are built with the side impact airbags. Having already survived one terrible accident when I was T-boned by an Excursion, I didn't want to tempt fate when it came to getting my new X.

No one had one with side impact airbags in stock, so I was forced to order. Now the dealer is telling me Nissan has not built the truck yet, has not indicated when they will build it or if they will build it at all! I might have to wait until the '08's go into production! I've been scouring the entire northeast for an SE equipped similarly to what I ordered, but no avail. I can't wait anymore! Arghhhhhhhh!!!! :angry4: I might be forced to go to the dark side.....FJ Cruiser perhaps? :toothy3:

Anyone else wait this long for their X?

Thanks for listening to my rant, we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming....

·
on line
631 Posts
ask the dealer to search the database of other dealers in the US. have them transport it to you. since you have been waiting this long tell them you want them to pay for the transport. its only like a few hundred dollars. my friend works sales at Toyota, and here in northern Utah there isnt much of a selection when it comes to vehicles so most are special order. they get a truck every week of vehicles from across the US delivered to their lot. it makes it easier and less time consuming for the consumer. so i would check with the dealer

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Orginally I was looking for an OR. They're more rare than SE's are around here.

My dealer has been checking with other dealers for the truck. He claims there's one coming in "in a few days." Me thinks it's time to start leaning on him a bit harder.

·
on line
384 Posts
Not being able to find one with side airbags is not surprising. We ended up having to order one because we could not find one anywhere close. There is just not a big demand for them on the Xterra for some reason.

Depending on the production schedule, seven weeks is not too long of a wait, but I am surprised that your dealer cannot get any kind of time frame from the factory. Usually that can give some type of forecast on production. They did for me and then it ended up coming in six weeks earlier than expected. But having to wait for an '08 is BS. Mine arrived the first part of June last year and it was not due until August.

·
on line
975 Posts
Lyrex said:
Not being able to find one with side airbags is not surprising. We ended up having to order one because we could not find one anywhere close. There is just not a big demand for them on the Xterra for some reason.
The reason for this is that in certain off-road situations(off camber) the side airbags have been known to go off. I think the sensor that they use calculates the lean of the vehicle, if it goes over a certain degree then the bags blow. Not completely sure about all the but that is my understanding.

·
on line
358 Posts
We didn't get side ABs because of that reason. We wanted an OR in Solar Yellow, we got the only one available in colorado at the time, there were about 12 w/ABs. It may be time to go to your dealer and have them do a search outside your area. They can set (mileage) their search size. Can you say road trip? I have a 4Runner, which is great but the FJ has stupid (my opinion) half doors to get in back. I have also heard that it is hard to see out of the small windows in an FJ. Beleve it or not the FJ is actualy bigger than an Xterra (exterior, and wheel base)

·
on line
255 Posts
Keep looking or be patient(easy for me to say).
We checked out the FJ before deciding on the X. The FJ, as others have mentioned elsewhere, was like driving in a tank. Some people aren't bothered by the blind spots, but thoroughly check it out. Also the door design is much less convenient. You must open the front door before you can open the back. Both my wife and I found this very inconvenient. The X is more traditional and user friendly.

Our OR has been great and we like the way it drives on the Interstate compared to the FJ.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
X_Trippin said:
Lyrex said:
The reason for this is that in certain off-road situations(off camber) the side airbags have been known to go off. I think the sensor that they use calculates the lean of the vehicle, if it goes over a certain degree then the bags blow. Not completely sure about all the but that is my understanding.
This may explain it in some cases, but in general I bet Nissan just figures that the young, daring, outdoorsy demographic just doesn't pay much attention to airbags. Even though I drive off-road a lot, I'd rather have the side impact airbags (my OR doesn't have them) and pull the fuse, or whatever, for hard wheeling.

BTW, I'm with the "wait for an Xterra" crowd. The FJ's driver visibility issues alone is more than enough reason to choose and X. We also handle and maneuver better, by all accounts, and a tricked out X, should you decide to go that route, is a way more special truck than the dime-a-dozen modified FJs we'll be seeing loads of.

·
on line
238 Posts
Oy, when are people going to look at the actual spec differences between the FJ and the X :read2: . They are very close in all dimensions. Less than 1.5 inches for most areas. And actually the FJ's wheelbase is 0.4" shorter by the way. All dealers are full of exaggerated crap :pottytrain5: . In God I trust, all others must bring data.

Nissan and Toyota have always done things this way. My brother had a '91 Toyota pickup and I had a '94 Nissan pickup (D21) and they were both within an inch on almost everything.
Sorry if this sounded ranty.

Ok, back to the actual subject.......

My Wife and I also had great difficulty getting the X we originally wanted, and ended up getting a different one. FJ's are going to have the same problem unless you find one on the lot. They are produced in Japan and are usually heavely optioned up where I'm at. That sounds maybe like what you are actually looking for though as far as equipment (SE w/side AB).

The FJ's are very fine vehicles. My Wife and I test drove one, but didn't like the blind spots, the rear doors, and it drove close to my old Wrangler with the swaybar disconnected. It also happened to look similar to my '97 Wrangler's interior to us (didn't care for that).

Good luck in your search.

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses everyone. :thumbleft: It has been frustrating to say the least, but I do understand I'm probably looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. I'm going to stick with the X and put more pressure on the dealer. Somewhere out there, my truck is waiting. If we were all in a bar, I'd buy everyone a round for putting up with me and helping to ease my nerves. Cheers! :drink:

·
on line
87 Posts
When three or four of my local dealers couldn't find the model I wanted with the options I wanted, I decided to do the legwork myself. I found one in Boston (I'm in NYC), and did everything over the phone. Went to pick it up there and made a weekend out of it. When one of the salesmen called me a little while after I got my truck, I gave it to him pretty good. "If you weren't so lazy and had expanded your search area, you would have had my money. Instead I did all the work and found the truck myself and gave my money to another salesman" was the short of it. I did a search on nissanusa.com.

·
on line
106 Posts
When I got my X I wanted a 05 OR night armor. One dealer said nope they are all sold in that color. So they offered me a SE in silver this made me mad so I went 15 miles down the road and asked a second dealer. They had 2 one w/ the RF stereo and 1 w/ out. I would call around.

·
on line
384 Posts
X_Trippin said:
I keep hearing that and it always sits in the back of my mind when I leave the pavement. I have yet to really push the X in an off-camber situation (which could change at Moab in a couple of weeks :cheers: ). But when you consider the number of people who purchase Xterras with the intention of using them as a commuter and never take them off-road, you would think there would be a higher demand for the side bags.

I would probably have gone with an available X that did not have the side airbags, but the wife wanted them and as we all know, "If mamma ain't happy, ain't no one happy."

·
on line
266 Posts
I was actually in the same exact boat as you were. I live in suffolk county, which dealer are you using?

I was looking for an X with side air bags and a 6-speed, so imagine how much harder that was to find. I went to nissan 112, and smithtown nissan and both told me that there were two available in the northeast, one silver, and one night armor. I dont like silver at all, so i went with the night armor (which was in PA, about 2 hours out of the city). Both dealerships tried to get the dealer in PA to swap with them so they could sell me the car, but either the dealer here or the dealer there was trying to jack the price, so i got the dealership name in PA, and just went and drove out and got it myself.

quite a hassle, but it was well worth it..

·
on line
87 Posts
I didn't think what I wanted was asking too much: OR, Night Armour, 6 speed, RF radio, side air bags. Biener laughed at me, Kingston tried for all of two days before they said they couldn't find it, and Star (worst place ever), even tho I know they're terrible and have sworn to myself I would never go to them again, I went just to scope the scene, the salesman said he found one somewhere, I actually put a down payment on it. When I went to sign the paperwork, the salesman tried to pull a switch on me and said the one he had ordered for me had gotten sold, and that he had two that were close to the one that I wanted - both black (not the color I wanted), one with airbags, one with the RF system. He actually said to me "what's more important, a good radio or my safety". I said "you're a fucking liar and I want my money back". So that's when I started looking online, and the next day I was on the phone with the dealership outside Boston. Clay Nissan in Dedham, MA., the best experience I've ever had buying a car. I can't say enough good things about that dealership. And then when the salesman from Star called me back a few weeks later confident that I hadn't found the model I wanted, asking me if I was ready to buy one of the other ones he'd previously offered me, I gave it to him. Dick.

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cookX said:
I was actually in the same exact boat as you were. I live in suffolk county, which dealer are you using?
I hit up just about all the Nassau county dealers. None had what I wanted in stock, they all wanted to sell me something they already had on their lots and would not want to deal with orders or dealer swaps. Finally Legend Nissan in Syosset happily put the order through for me. Now they know next to nothing about the status of the order and have been lazy trying to find the truck at another dealer. I've found several out of state dealerships that have very close to what I'm looking for. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and asking why they haven't found the same ones I have. Or I may just go for a road trip and ask for my deposit back from Legend, considering they haven't delivered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts