Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
on line
14,726 Posts
I thought having a one stop page for Snorkels might be a good idea. With that in mind here are some FAQs (please read about reversing the Air Ram Head)

Our current Snorkel is made by Gibson. It is called an AIRFLOW Snorkel.
This is the logo you will find on the snorkel itself.

It is a 3.5 inch diameter at the mount of the Air RAM which is the top most piece in the assembly. Other vendor’s make Air Rams that will work with our airflow snorkel including
Safari http://www.safarisnorkel.com/docs/product.htm

and Donaldson. http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/000207.pdf
donalson further makes two models the Top spin tm and the cyclonic

This would also work if we find a 3.5 inch one.

or this from safari;

This is ours...

this is also made by Airflow...

Airflow Snorkels - everything you wanted to know
Fuel efficiency, economy and getting the most out of the vehicle is what Airflow Snorkels aim to achieve and yes, to go through that river crossing.
To this end Airflow has been conducting airflow, friction loss and performance testing on our own products and other air induction manifolds for many years. While in the past our focus has not always been on aesthetic design, the performance of the snorkels has been foremost.
The result of this testing in conjunction with new styling means Airflow has a range of cold air ram induction manifolds that will increase the performance and efficiency of your 4WD. Not all snorkel body designs produce a cold air induction effect that increases power and torque. Airflow produces models that provide substantial ram and cold air induction effect and also models that provide ram effect only.

How does it work
Air is taken in at roof level where the air is less disturbed, contains less contaminants from the road and traffic conditions and is cooler than air from the engine bay or at ground level .

Why do we need more air?
Your engine needs air and fuel to make it work.
More air and oxygen going into the engine means more efficient combustion.
When the air is taken from under the bonnet / hood or the wheel arch the air is hotter than the air that is collected by a snorkel at roof level. The hotter the air, the less available oxygen there is for efficient combustion.
Modern vehicles have an engine management system that controls and measures the input and when to apply it, therefore an increase in cooler air inflow will result in more power and torque.

Cyclone air ram operation
Air passing into an air ram creates a cyclonic effect which separates out the majority of the contaminants.

As the air swirls, the heavier air particles move out where they hit the vertical ribs which slow the particles down. Then with the action of the air, gravity and the ram- effect the particles are pushed out the four slots in the air ram. The finer particles are removed by the vehicle air filter.

Not all air rams are equal in performance.
In general air rams need an open face preferably without a screen (which deflects airflow). The ratio of the open face of the air ram to outlet aperture should be a minimum of 1.4:1 (Less than this ratio and there will be insufficient cyclone action to separate the contaminants out effectively)
Approximately 30% of the incoming airflow (above 25kph / 15mph) is used in the separation process. Airflow uses a minimum of 1.4:1 for the 3” air ram, 1.7:1 for the 3.5” air ram and 2:1 for the cold air induction air ram
A vertical cylinder section is incorporated for the cyclone separation to occur, with the aid of gravity and the air flow hitting against the separator ribs to separate the foreign material out.

Any deflection of the incoming airflow can dramatically affect the efficiency and the output.
This can be caused by:
1- Close proximity to a bonnet / hood
2-A foil / curved top on the air ram
3- Turning the air ram away from the direction of travel
4-Where the air ram design makes the air go back on itself at an angle greater than 100`
In the case of the air ram being turned away from the direction of travel the result is lessening of the positive pressure that is desirable. In the extreme a vacuum is caused (i.e. turning the air ram backwards which may cause engine damage.)

Incorrect design of the air ram can cause excessive induction noise, lack of separation, air blocking by vortex of the air at various speeds. This air blocking will limit airflow. This is a common occurrence where the design / look is put above the functionality of the air ram

Other types of induction into the snorkel induction tube / manifold.
Where the intake is molded into the body of the snorkel (generally for design considerations) provide limited if any separation at all of the air.
Some cases where the snorkel intake is perpendicular to the direction of travel
This will cause a net vacuum at certain speeds.

Now the air has gone through the air ram and the heavy particles have been removed The air is traveling in a straight line and is slowing down as it comes into a larger volume area (in the case of cold air induction models). This will cut down the swirling effect caused by the air ram. This in turn reduces the friction loss. In the case of a non-induction tube type, air passes down to the outlet, where it is directed, with under bonnet tubing and ducting, into the air box. This will still increase efficiency and performance, but not to the extent of a cold air induction type.

Air cleaner types
Cyclone air cleaners are the most effective in this application with flat air cleaners
being the least effective.
Airflow is releasing a parabolic cyclone air cleaner to match the cold air induction snorkel now released. This combination will give a dramatic improvement in performance and efficiency across the power range of the motor. The snorkel on its own can only deliver these improvement in the mid and lower rev range. Where fitted in conjunction with a flat air cleaner element the improvements are in the low rev range only.

Use of Cyclone Separator in harsh conditions
Where the environmental conditions are such that vision is impaired by dust, rain snow or bugs a cyclone separator-non ram type-should be used.
This will not damage the engine duct and flow restrictions. The use of this type of separator will however reduce performance and economy.

From Safari’s website.

Q. Will installing a Safari snorkel increase the power output of my engine?
A. This depends on the standard air intake design of your vehicle. All Safari snorkels are designed to flow more cool fresh air than your engine could ever need and this may help the power output. However, the state of tune of your engine, at the time of fitting the Safari snorkel will determine the extent of any possible power increase.

Q. Will rain go down the inside of a Safari snorkel ram?
A. Even in a tropical rain storm, only a tiny volume of the impact moisture will enter the snorkel. The incoming rain droplets are broken up as they impact on the special, Safari designed, grill cross ribs. The high speed of the air strea as it turns the 90 degree corner in order to enter tne Safari snorkel, causes the heavier rain droplets to move to the outside surfaces. Here the rain is collected in the expanded lower body of the Safari air ram (outside the Safari snorkel body) and allowed to drain out, via the slots provided.

Q. Is it possible to have a Safari snorkel colour coded to a particular vehicle?
A. No, it is not. Paint will not readily adhere to the plastic that is utilized.

Q. Is there any additional filter incorporated in a Safari snorkel?
A. No, there is no additional filter in a Safari snorkel. A foam component, which appears to be a small pre-cleaner, is used on some vehicle models. It is installed inside the Safari air ram (see sketch above). It is not a pre-cleaner. It is actually a noise suppression pod, used to absorb sound waves generated by the engine. The improved filtration actually results from the Safari snorkel's air intake being above the level of the heavy, wheel generated, dust. In addition, a commercial configuration of pre cleaner assembly can be added for further protection.

Q. Will fitting a Safari snorkel obstruct driver vision?
A. No - no driver vision obstruction is permitted during the design phase of a Safari snorkel. The simplest definition of forward vision requirements is that outlined by the 'windshield wiper sweep'. No Safari snorkel infringes upon that line of view.

Q. How strong (durable) is a Safari snorkel body?
A. The material from which a Safari snorkel is made is sufficiently strong enough to permit it to recover its shape, even after being driven over by a typical 4WD!

Q. Is it necessary to remove the standard pre-cleaner, when installing a Safari snorkel?
A. If the vehicle manufacturer utilises a genuine, filter element equipped pre-cleaner, then Safari retains that component. If the vehicle manufacturer has nothing or merely an empty, internally finned container (which spins the incoming air), Safari connects directly from the snorkel body to the main air cleaner entry. This is particularly important when the standard components are poorly sealed from a dust and/or water point of view. If any further pre-cleaning is required, see the answer to the following question.

Q. When should a pre-cleaner be used with Safari snorkel?
A. The commercial configuration of pre cleaner, supplied by Safari, should only be used in heavy dust conditions, off asphalt surfaces at speeds below 80kph. (see sketch below).

Q. What air filter element should be used in conjunction with a Safari snorkel?
A. All Safari snorkels are designed to be used only in conjunction with genuine original equipment air filter elements. Safari does not recommend any type of oiled foam element.

Q. From what material is a Safari snorkel made?
A. A Safari snorkel is manufactured from U.V. stable, cross linked polyethylene, which is a special form of plastic.

Q. Will rust form on the edge of the snorkel mounting holes?
A. No, when a Safari snorkel is fitted correctly, all mounting hole edges are rust proofed.

Q. Will fitting a Safari snorkel effect the fuel consumption?
A. Correct installation of a Safari snorkel will result in unchanged or slightly improved fuel consumption.

Q. How is a Safari snorkel mounted to the vehicle?
A. A Safari snorkel is mounted to the vehicle utilizing a number of 8mm studs and bolts into the guard; together with body screws into plastic plugs in the "A' pillar.

Q. Can a Safari snorkel be fitted in conjunction with L.P.G.?
A. Safari snorkels are primarily developed to protect diesel and petrol engines. Safari does no development work with L.P.G.. Consequently, the customer must ensure that his L.P.G. installer has sufficient experience to use the correct L.P.G. equipment, together with the necessary tuning knowledge.

Q. Can I fit a Safari snorkel myself? (if not how long will a professional installer take?)
A. While you can fit it yourself, presuming you have the necessary tools (see specific fitting instructions), it is highly recommended that you have it professionally fitted. On average, it takes around two hours and only adds around 20% to the cost of the snorkel kit. This is a very worthwhile investment, ensuring your complete satisfaction with the product.

All Safari Charge Air Rams feature a highly effective water separator system built right into the air ram in order to remove rain water from the incoming air stream - thus ensuring safe engine operation through even the most torrential tropical storms.

An added benefit of the unique Safari Charge Air Ram is that it can be rotated to any position. This means great peace of mind for those who plan to travel in cold or high altitude conditions where heavy snow falls are anticipated. By rotating the air ram to face away from the prevailing wind/direction of motion, the air ram delivers additional protection from the choking effects of snow build-up inside the air intake.

From Gibson , manufacturer of Airflow Snorkels which are sold on the Automotive Customizers website.
Instructions for installation of the Airflow snorkel can be found here..

http://www.gibsonrm.com.au/pdfs/SD010E _S010 Instructions booklet_.pdf

A Snorkel is fitted to a 4WD to protect the engine from the elements of Dust Sand and Water.

Each model is individually styled to the contours of each vehicle and is fitted with no visible bolts or brackets. An "Airflow" Snorkel allows the engine to breathe easier by drawing clean, fresh air from the windscreen level. The design ensures that the snorkel fits snugly against the guard complimenting the vehicle and adding to the style and image.

The material for the snorkel is from the highest grade Virgin Polyethylene Plastic and is fully formulated for long term UV resistance.
The most extreme conditions encountered in many parts of the world have tested "Airflow" snorkels to the limit, and the durability, toughness and design aspects of the snorkel have proved to be equal to the most difficult challenge.

IMPORTANT note for reversing the RAM AIR Head……

Important note: Do not turn the Air Ram away from the direction of
travel because it will lessen the positive pressure necessary for proper
operation. In extreme situation, at speed above 25km/h (15m/h) a
vacuum may be generated causing irreversible engine damage

Anything else I may have missed?

·
on line
552 Posts
That is a ton of awesome information! I'm convinced that I need(want) a snorkel. :)

I found one little bit of conflicting info though...

By rotating the air ram to face away from the prevailing wind/direction of motion, the air ram delivers additional protection from the choking effects of snow build-up inside the air intake.
Important note: Do not turn the Air Ram away from the direction of
travel because it will lessen the positive pressure necessary for proper
operation. In extreme situation, at speed above 25km/h (15m/h) a
vacuum may be generated causing irreversible engine damage
regardless of the contradiction, it sounds like there is no need to worry about turning the snorkel head any direction other than straight ahead.

·
on line
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Other accessories for owners of the rectangular snorkel head

pic links

It all relates to speed. The reversed Air Ram actually induces a Bernoulli effect at sufficiently high speeds. At low speeds it would prevent snow and ice build up if reversed.
It actually quotes the speed at which this occurs.

·
on line
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one is made by toyota and will fit ours as well 3.5 in dia.
This is the number for aussie models 17730 66010

OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
1773066010 $98.86 $0.00 $75.13

PRECLEANER ASSY, AIR

·
on line
14,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Airflow is the only currently available snorkel assembly although it will take any snorkel head that is 3.5 inches in diameter or bigger with an adapter.
I quote myself hahahahahahahahahahah :)

·
on line
420 Posts
doesn't Calmini make a snorkel too?

·
on line
1,681 Posts
is there an adapter or way to make the snork fit with the volant intake yet??

·
on line
420 Posts
Nope, they just sell the Airflow; far as I know ... so Chris' statement would stand. ;)
yeah I just checked the site and it is just the Airflow snork they sell...

·
on line
1,123 Posts
This went from a great informative thread by Chris to a bunch of posts that could have easily been answered with a simple search.

That said, the prototype Volant adapter I'm running wasn't ready for prime time, but they knew that and a final solution is already in the works.

·
on line
3,908 Posts
This went from a great informative thread by Chris to a bunch of posts that could have easily been answered with a simple search.

That said, the prototype Volant adapter I'm running wasn't ready for prime time, but they knew that and a final solution is already in the works.
any word on this??

·
on line
16,147 Posts
^ make your own it's easy...should have a how-to up for u peeps in a few weeks. ;) been working on mine for a while. and just have to do some last minute adjustments when I install my snork....hopefully this weekend or next...time permitting :)

·
on line
3,908 Posts
^ make your own it's easy...should have a how-to up for u peeps in a few weeks. ;) been working on mine for a while. and just have to do some last minute adjustments when I install my snork....hopefully this weekend or next...time permitting :)
Sweet, I want to actually make the whole snorkel and just buy the ram piece.
Looking forward to your write up!

1 - 20 of 250 Posts