Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made a day trip out to the Salton Sea, through Anza Borrego. Let me just say that it's probably the biggest freak show on earth. Not only is the Salton Sea bizarre as hell, but the people who chose to live next to it are like nuclear mutated aliens.

The Salton Sea was created by accident in 1902, when aqueducts failed and the Colorado river flowed into the desert floor for 5 years. It's aprox. 40mi long, by 20mi wide, and only 16' deep on average. It's significantly more salty than the Pacific ocean, and there's only a few species than can survive in it. Tilapia survive the best.

From about 10mi away I could smell the Salton Sea. It was putrid. The smell is like rotten fish, combined with salty sea air, and farts. There's this permanent cloud over the water from rapid evaporation and it only adds to the weirdness of the place.

The pictures below really do no justice. This place is extremely bizarre. If you live in California, I strongly urge you to check it out for yourself. There's also an off-road paradise in and all around Salton City. To those of you in the San Diego area, I'd be interested in going back and showing you what I saw, along with exploring more of this crazy place.

On the way there:

Anza Borrego was pretty busy.:

On location. All of the white shore you see is actually dried salt, animal remains, bird bones, dissolving fish skeletons, and empty barnacles. Aside from all the dead birds and fish, the shore's composition was a real mind blower. It behaved like snow, but was really loud as you rolled over it.:

The homeostasis in the Salton Sea is barely within livable limits for a very small variety of fish. For those who travel to areas with increased salinity or higher temperature, death is inevitable. There's a lot of fat birds around there too. However, a ton of them die from ingesting diseased fish.:

It's like this all around the Salton Sea. Death is everywhere. It's really surreal.:

As for the town of Salton City, this pretty much sums it up. I'm being a little insensitive, but you get the idea.:

There was a period during 1905 when the water flowing into the area was stopped. People built homes and businesses on the shore in a hurry. As shown here, the dam failed and hundreds of structures were destroyed. The high salinity helps preserve the wood.

·
on line
631 Posts
very interesting. something i will have to see for mysef when i visit the SD area again

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I think I saw a show that talked about it on the History channel, not sure. But interesting for sure. I would love to go see it too bad that is way to far to drive... at least this year

·
on line
564 Posts
Dude, I need to make my way further south. There's just so much to see in CA!

Rob

·
on line
853 Posts
I remember going out there a few times when I was in grammer school (which was a long time ago). It was really weird then, and is even weirder now. I know some people who live out there, and can tell you that most of those folks are best left to themselves.

Strange as your photos may look to some, they do a good job of capturing the atmosphere of the place.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FrankB said:
I know some people who live out there, and can tell you that most of those folks are best left to themselves.
I think that's a very well rounded definition of the locals. Lets put it this way, I was driving through the town with my mouth permanently affixed open and my mind on the location of my pistol.

·
on line
551 Posts
We went there when we lived in Orange County, and it looks just as weird now as then. And the smell: let's just say I rather hang at the dump on a hot day.

·
on line
463 Posts
I was out there for an Annual Treasure hunt at the dry washes a few years ago, different vehicle.
Give me some advance notice and I can meet you out there. Got to go before the temps rise though !

Regards,
Jim B

·
on line
123 Posts
I used to drive by it all the time on my way to glamis, ick describes it quickly and accurately.

·
on line
49 Posts
You guys peeked my interest so I checked out Wikipedia. Here is the link. I thought is was a good read.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Hey syndicate, let me know when you are panning to go back. My bro and i are down to show up again. We had fun out in rattlesnake!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts