Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I gotta say, with my truck being a daily driver, the Radflo clunk is infuriating. Pretty sad I gave up a perfectly silent front end for regular knocking.

Coming from the mtn bike world, the type of spacers Radflo is using are very notorious for having issues. Premature failure, eating up bushings and clunking. Swapping to a one-piece shaft with sleeves (like pictured) always cured the clunking and would seldom wear out before suspension needed a rebuild.

We could potentially source the parts needed, actually. The shaft would be on the thin side, but the bolt would still be there to take the load.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can anybody here say if the mk84 ext travel have this same issue?

I swapped out the bolts and fixed front pax hub that was done. Still got the clunk on down travel. It's not bad at all but I've driven quieter. That said, I never hear it off-road/fire roads with washboard. But that could be because I'm distracted with all the fun surrounding how great it handles. Also, I'm running 600lb springs on a stock front end, don't know if that somehow plays into it.

If you guys say it was fixed after the bolts I can only assume you guys were hearing something far louder and worse than what us who've seen no improvement are hearing.

Eitherway, when time comes to rebuild, I may shop around a bit more.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Can anybody here say if the mk84 ext travel have this same issue?

I swapped out the bolts and fixed front pax hub that was done. Still got the clunk on down travel. It's not bad at all but I've driven quieter. That said, I never hear it off-road/fire roads with washboard. But that could be because I'm distracted with all the fun surrounding how great it handles. Also, I'm running 600lb springs on a stock front end, don't know if that somehow plays into it.

If you guys say it was fixed after the bolts I can only assume you guys were hearing something far louder and worse than what us who've seen no improvement are hearing.

Eitherway, when time comes to rebuild, I may shop around a bit more.
I wouldn't expect the same clunk from MK84s that us with Radflos are getting. The MK84s use a rubber bushing instead of a spherical bearing. You are probably getting some coil bucket contact.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have you checked if everything is secure? Your other option is to take some digital calipers and actually measure how much of a gap you have between the bushing and the shock. That will ultimately determine if you're loose or not. If that comes up not the issue then your clunk is from something else- tie rod end, if you've still got it on your sway bar, a loose or bad balljoint, etc. Could even be a bearing Just starting to go out, though that's usually accompanied by more than just clunks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The radflos take a while to break in. I totally understand your frustration, as my radflos made more noise than any suspension setup I had on my old race car!
Anywho, a year later and 5-6 good wheeling trips and it has quieted down. It almost sounded as though it was topping out everywhere. That has subsided, and the ride is fantastic on and off road.

All that being said, I swapped the radflo bolts out within a week of install to cure the rattle you described, particularly on snowpacked roads. Also, my alignment tech never torqued my lower control arms so they were making noise until I tightened them.

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm about to order the parts I need, will I need two new alignment sleeves for the RadFlos? I've put maybe 6,000 miles on them so I don't think the bearings are bad, but with the radflo clunk I'm worried those sleeves are messed as well as the bolt. Also, 80mm or 90mm? NissTec said 90mm, you guys say 80mm, and I'm probably going to go with the 80mm because they have a ton in stock, but why would they suggest something 10mm longer?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Three years and 47-48k miles and no noise. Had the seals replaced and threw it back together the other month and now I have the Radflo clunk but only on my driver side. Bolts and misalignment spacers had no wear on them. Looks like I'm now going to be replacing the books to solve it because it is really annoying.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had an issue with the M14 10.9 bolts from fastenal.

I have been working in getting my suspension installed the last couple of days, and since I was installing Radflos, I got two M14 10.9 zinc plates bolts from Fastenal as linked previously in this thread.

They both stripped off before I got to 155ftlbs. I had to pull them back out and put the stock bolts back in.

I went back and looked, and fastenal has 126ftlb listed as the max torque for this bolt. And it's possible there was a little anti seize in the threads from pushing it through the mount, which would mean the "lubed" max torque of 111ftlbs would apply.

Bottom line is that there was no way I was getting to 155ftlbs with those bolts. Going by feel on the wrench, I'd say they let loose not too far over 100lbs.

Attachments

·
TNX Veteran
4,240 Posts

I have been working in getting my suspension installed the last couple of days, and since I was installing Radflos, I got two M14 10.9 zinc plates bolts from Fastenal as linked previously in this thread.

They both stripped off before I got to 155ftlbs. I had to pull them back out and put the stock bolts back in.
Use the hardware I specified in my post:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/14-sus...3-radflo-clunk-how-i-fixed-9.html#post3495513

Link to bolts specifically: https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=15194

I don't think you get a better fit in the Radflo sleeve than you do with these bolts. I had no problems with 155ft/lbs of torque.

·
on line
75 Posts
After 8 years with my Radflos, the last few having some serious noises, I just learned from this thread that they weren't necessarily from abuse on my part, but more or less "normal" wear and tear.

Today, in trying to fix a few problems I replaced a half-shaft axle, the complete LCA, and am so close to fixing the "clunk" (unfortunately my bolts from Bolt Depot didn't come in time). But man, the stock lower-shock bolt has a huge worn spot, probably 1/16", and the bearing spacers are almost completely worn through.

I saw some suggestions to call a guy about new spacers, and found this part from Radflo for $28.

Does anyone have other suggestions for sourcing those? Radflo says the $28 set comes with "4 spacers included. Enough to replace spacers on one shock". Unless I'm crazy though, I don't see how 1 shock uses all 4, and only found 2 at the bottom of mine. Has anyone here purchased those?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I talked to them the other week and for my 2.0 coil overs it was $15 for two lower misalignment spacers (enough for one coil over).

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
How long did it take yours to wear out?
Factory bolt? Or replacement?
I was actually calling about the lower bearing (FK COM10T now that I have replacements, the teflon is missing) but they wanted to sell me the spacers also. I currently have 54k (uncorrected for 285s) on the stock bolt with the radflos. No wear to the spacer or the bolt.

·
TNX Administrator
20,397 Posts
All (6) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

·
on line
2,263 Posts

I went back and looked, and fastenal has 126ftlb listed as the max torque for this bolt. And it's possible there was a little anti seize in the threads from pushing it through the mount, which would mean the "lubed" max torque of 111ftlbs would apply.

Bottom line is that there was no way I was getting to 155ftlbs with those bolts. Going by feel on the wrench, I'd say they let loose not too far over 100lbs.
I never had an issue reaching the tq either, course I may have just hit it with the air gun and called it good. this bolt is the same size as stock so it should take it, if it can't how does the stock? I'm puzzled by this..............

I presume you are using a washer with the nut? You'd have to go to a 12.9 to reach the tq specs on the bolt.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts